Author Topic: How to identify MX hyperglides vs old retools?  (Read 3976 times)

Offline TK0

How to identify MX hyperglides vs old retools?
« on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 16:00:55 »
Hi everyone! I've just bought a new Ergodox-ez with MX blacks directly from ZSA, and can't tell whether they are the new hyperglides variant or the old retooled ones.

I've reached out to ZSA and even they could not find out if the last batch they got from Cherry were hyperglides or not. I've also found this youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFThYDLSR0I&ab_channel=veelut) and this reddit post (https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/jcecrq/cherry_mx_black_comparison/) with contradicting evidences (regarding the printing of the Cherry logo).

I don't have other Cherry MX Blacks to compare, how could I identify the ones I got?

Offline TK0

Re: How to identify MX hyperglides vs old retools?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 22:04:06 »
No one?  :(

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 May 2021, 22:11:14 »
Do you have an estimate on the date? Only real way to find hyperglide vs older retools.

Either way, don't worry about it too much, hyperglides are basically just retooled that cherry decided to give another name, and just because it's "hyperglide" won't mean it's good, it's all batch dependant. A decent batch of "older" retools can blow away a bad batch of hyperglides. There is no "real" difference, just have to find a good batch.

Offline TK0

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 08:33:45 »
Unfortunately, I couldn't find out the date they were manufactured. I have the purchased date (after the availability of hyperglides), but they could be old stocks.

I've checked the mold numbers on the housings, and I guess this would be a way to find out whether they are hyperglides. But I haven't find any information correlating mold number with date/type of retool. By searching for pictures of vintage blacks, it looks like the molds are numbered chronologically (larger the number, newer the mold), but I don't have an early hyperglide (or late retool) mold number to compare mine with.

Either way, I was just curious, no worries. They are the first blacks that I've used, so a little bit more info on them would be nice for the purpose of comparing to other switches. Overall, I like the 'smoothness' but there is an annoying and inconsistent spring noise on some switches that lube would probably solve (when I find time to do it). If not, a spring swap will do the job if I decide to stick to them.

I prefer tactile switches anyway, but there wasn't any good tactile options for the ergodox-ez, since it is a prebuilt. Blacks were the best quality switches on their list, so that's why I've chosen it. The nice thing is that the kb is hotswap, so I will wear out the blacks a bit until I find time to lube and probably film them, use it for a while, and them go back to tactiles.

Thanks!! :thumb: