Author Topic: USB -> PS/2 pin connections?  (Read 4102 times)

Offline spremino

USB -> PS/2 pin connections?
« on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 12:51:55 »
Hello,

I'd like to connect a USB keyboard to a PS/2 circuit using just a USB female socket (that is, I don't want to go through a passive USB to PS/2 adapter). I've not been able to find how pins relate to each other. Of course, I'm talking about a keyboard which supports both protocols.

Any help?

Thanks
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 13:35:44 »
It's not a straightforward conversion - USB has two data pins, Ground and 5V. PS/2 has 5V, data, Ground and Clock. If your keyboard supports both, I'm guessing that one of the USB data lines is really the clock line.

What sort of keyboard is it? Does the manufacturer not provide more details?

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 13:39:04 »
Testing continuity on a passive convertor...

usb socket - ps/2 plug

ground-ground   (shields)
1-5
2-6
3-4
4-2

USB numbering is looking into the USB socket with contacts facing up, 1 is on left to 4 on right.

PS/2 numbering is looking into the plug with the plastic notch down, 1 is bottom left, go clockwise to 6 at bottom right.

This is not the standard numbering system!!!

I get the same results testing a purple keyboard convertor and a green mouse convertor. (I've always wondered if they were the same.)

EDIT> You can see the conventional numbering here: http://pinouts.ru/InputCables/usb_ps2_mouse_pinout.shtml
It does match what I said! :-)
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 September 2009, 19:59:17 by Rajagra »

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 15:11:43 »
Quote from: spremino;115068
I'd like to connect a USB keyboard to a PS/2 circuit using just a USB female socket (that is, I don't want to go through a passive USB to PS/2 adapter).

That is not possible. A USB keyboard produces signals which cannot be decoded by a PS/2 interface, and it also may consume more power than a PS/2 port can supply. USB to PS/2 adapters are not passive - they convert the scan codes and the signal protocol.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 18:21:26 »
Quote from: quadibloc;115108
That is not possible. A USB keyboard produces signals which cannot be decoded by a PS/2 interface, and it also may consume more power than a PS/2 port can supply. USB to PS/2 adapters are not passive - they convert the scan codes and the signal protocol.

They're awfully small, cheap, and common for that to be the case.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline Special K

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 18:26:37 »
Quote from: quadibloc;115108

I'm not even sure I understand what the OP is asking for.  If you want to convert a USB keyboard to use with a PS/2 port, can't you just use one of these:

Those are the kind packaged with Filcos and they look passive to me.

I thought converting a PS/2 keyboard to USB required an active adapter such as the blue cube:

Something like this wouldn't work:

Am I correct?  Why is it that converting a USB keyboard to PS/2 can be done passively, but converting a PS/2 keyboard to USB requires an active adapter?
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 19:39:24 »
You can't convert either way passively.
The passive adapters only work with dual-mode devices that detect which interface is being used, then send signals accordingly.

Offline Special K

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 19:56:07 »
Quote from: Rajagra;115145
You can't convert either way passively.
The passive adapters only work with dual-mode devices that detect which interface is being used, then send signals accordingly.

Ah, that makes sense.  So why are the adapters I posted in pictures 1 and 3 even sold as standalone items?  Are consumers supposed to know that they need a dual mode keyboard/mouse to use them?

What happens if you try to use one of those adapters with a keyboard or mouse that isn't dual mode?  Will it ever work at all?
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 05 September 2009, 20:06:08 »
Some people might have lost the adapters that came with their dual-mode keyboards/mice. The adapters won't work if the device isn't dual-mode, but the good news is at least you won't fry the ports because 0V goes to 0V and +5V goes to +5V, etc.