Author Topic: NEC Technologies RT101  (Read 3207 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
NEC Technologies RT101
« on: Wed, 28 October 2009, 15:27:59 »
I have had this keyboard for many years. It came with my old computer, a Hewlett-Packard running at 90Mhz with 64Mb of RAM, which was used when I got it. That computer came with the ugly old monitor I use on my main computer, along with the keyboard.

I have always liked this keyboard. It's not as good as a clicky keyboard, but despite being a rubber dome, it has stood up to nearly two decades of dust and disgust and the keys have very smooth action even though I have never cleaned the keyboard.

The keys use a sort of linear switch which is different from the others I have seen on this forum. I have included a photograph of it. Does anyone here have a keyboard with this type of switch? And if so, how does it feel?

Here's an exposed keyswitch.

And here's my Grade A key puller which pulled the caps off that keyboard and the others.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 November 2009, 05:42:14 by microsoft windows »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline MFGorilla

NEC Technologies RT101
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 14:49:01 »
We have one of these keyboards in my office, and I must say that it is the best one for typing on by far.  Of course, that isn't saying a hell of a lot since most of the rest are standard Dell KB's or extra cheap rubber domes.
"I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!"

Using Now: Unicomp Spacesaver (black/grey) | IBM Model M 1391401 White Label| IBM Model M 1394946 by Lexmark
[COMMENT]On The Way: IBM Model M Industrial[/COMMENT]
Wish list: Filco Majestouch tenless with Blue Cherries | Matias Tactile Pro 3 | IBM Model M Space Saver
In Storage: IBM M2, DELL bluetooth wireless

Offline zwmalone

NEC Technologies RT101
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 16:40:45 »
It's an NMB manufactured keyboard.  One of the better rubber domes.  I had one for a while.  Great keyboard, even if it isn't mechanical.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline ironcoder

NEC Technologies RT101
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 November 2009, 01:04:34 »
Quote from: MFGorilla;129429
We have one of these keyboards in my office, and I must say that it is the best one for typing on by far.  Of course, that isn't saying a hell of a lot since most of the rest are standard Dell KB's or extra cheap rubber domes.

Nice name, is that short for Mainframe or something else ;)
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline MFGorilla

NEC Technologies RT101
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 November 2009, 07:27:47 »
It was originally something else and is left over from my frat house days.  The name has sort of stuck since then.
"I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!"

Using Now: Unicomp Spacesaver (black/grey) | IBM Model M 1391401 White Label| IBM Model M 1394946 by Lexmark
[COMMENT]On The Way: IBM Model M Industrial[/COMMENT]
Wish list: Filco Majestouch tenless with Blue Cherries | Matias Tactile Pro 3 | IBM Model M Space Saver
In Storage: IBM M2, DELL bluetooth wireless