Author Topic: HHKB Pro 2 tilted key, alignment issue?  (Read 5676 times)

Offline alexlzl

HHKB Pro 2 tilted key, alignment issue?
« on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 02:46:21 »
Just bought a HHKB Pro 2 shipped from Japan and found that couple keys are tilted (not aligned properly). The seller is legit and he seems bought the board from Amazon JP.

Please see attached pictures. The SHIFT key's upper left side is very close to the CTRL key (just 1 mm apart). The O key is also kind of looks weird. I also checked on my Topre 86UK, seems those two keys are also not aligned very well, however not that obvious.

Is it common to your HHKB Pro 2, or Topre boards?
Using: Kinesis Contoured (Cherry Brown)
Own:  Realforce 86UK
Wish: Ergo layout Realforce

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 03:00:00 »
I'd say that shift looks like it isn't on the stabiliser properly, or maybe those 2 keys have been damaged (dropped?)

Check one of the threads where people have opened up the HHKB, it might give an idea of what's wrong, or at least show if it's safe to pull the shift key to see what's up.

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 05:58:10 »
Quote from: alexlzl;128996
Just bought a HHKB Pro 2 shipped from Japan and found that couple keys are tilted (not aligned properly). The seller is legit and he seems bought the board from Amazon JP.

Damn, you must be one of the reasons I never could get my hand on one of those! You always on Yahoo! JP?

:P

BTW, I think even the official pictures of HHKB also depicts some skewing of the keys, take a look here.

For example, the Right Shift and Y looks weird.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 09:39:11 »
Quote from: Rajagra;128998
I'd say that shift looks like it isn't on the stabiliser properly, or maybe those 2 keys have been damaged (dropped?)

Check one of the threads where people have opened up the HHKB, it might give an idea of what's wrong, or at least show if it's safe to pull the shift key to see what's up.

The stabilisers are under the plate so you can just pull the key. They are a little hard to come off but as long as you pull strait up it should come off just fine see here for what it looks like under the keys. About the only thing I can think of that would cause the keys to be skewed would be if the key slider is misaligned. When you take the key off take a look at the two nubs in the slider and see if they are strait if they are not then you may have to open the board up and see if the slider is misaligned. If they are strait then look at the key it self and see if the slots are strait on it. If they are strait as well see if reseating the key fixes the problem. If it does not let me know I have a few extra keys around here that you can try to see if it is a key problem but they are blank black keys or dyed blank keys so you would not want to leave them on but you could at least tell where the problem is.

If this was a 87U then the problem may have been that the key housing was misaligned but on the HHKB Pro the housing is moulded into the keyboard top so that should not be the issue.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 11:52:40 »
Didn't even think about that but ripster is right if the seller put the keys in the dishwasher they may be warped.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http:///elitekeyboards.com
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 13:31:22 »
I've never seen a misaligned slider on an HHKB, that's really hard to do with this board, but I've seen a warped keycap, so that's my vote. The best way to verify this is to switch this keycap with another one of the same row and size.

I don't know of any way to just get one keycap from PFU however, so if you don't have a warranty, and it bugs you, then you're probably going to have to spring for a complete keycap set.

Edit: BTW, that left Shift key can be swapped with Enter for a comparison.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2009, 13:41:29 by majestouch »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 13:33:11 »
Stop trying to sell him a keycap set, Destroyer of Objectivity.  Jeez...

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 13:45:39 »
Quote from: itlnstln;129170
Stop trying to sell him a keycap set, Destroyer of Objectivity.  Jeez...

Muhuhahaha

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 13:53:02 »
Disingenuous since 2009. elitekeyboards.com

Was that really a Filco you sold me (in the keyboard forum, I might add)?

Offline alexlzl

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 17:58:01 »
Quote from: majestouch;129169
but I've seen a warped keycap, so that's my vote.

Since you sell HHKB on your site, if one of your customer got such a board from you, will you consider an exchange?

I will get the keypuller from home and test the swapping tomorrow.

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 20:52:20 »
Quote from: alexlzl;129272
Since you sell HHKB on your site, if one of your customer got such a board from you, will you consider an exchange?

I will get the keypuller from home and test the swapping tomorrow.

Yes, we'd exchange the board for this problem. PFU is actually strict about repair and product failure; they want to have entire faulty product back if they can, even for something simple like a misaligned key. I'd guess they do this to be able to thoroughly research the cause of the problem.

Offline alexlzl

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 12:30:17 »
Quote from: majestouch;129302
Yes, we'd exchange the board for this problem. PFU is actually strict about repair and product failure; they want to have entire faulty product back if they can, even for something simple like a misaligned key. I'd guess they do this to be able to thoroughly research the cause of the problem.

That is very comforting to know, I wish I have found your site earlier (found it just one day after I placed the order on eBay). :hurt:

I tried to swap key caps today. Sadly, I think it is the switch alignment issue. I put a normal key cap (T) on the previous weird looking one (O) and got the same alignment issue. Couldn't pull out the SHIFT key (dare not to use force), but I think the result will be the same.

Is it possible to get warranty service from PFU if the board was purchased on eBay (through Amazon JP)?

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 14:27:17 »
Quote from: alexlzl;129398
That is very comforting to know, I wish I have found your site earlier (found it just one day after I placed the order on eBay). :hurt:

I tried to swap key caps today. Sadly, I think it is the switch alignment issue. I put a normal key cap (T) on the previous weird looking one (O) and got the same alignment issue. Couldn't pull out the SHIFT key (dare not to use force), but I think the result will be the same.

Is it possible to get warranty service from PFU if the board was purchased on eBay (through Amazon JP)?

If you have a legitimate key tool the Shift key should come out without a problem; albeit PFU/Topre keycaps do require a bit of force.

Warranty service would be possible through Amazon JP, but shipping to and from Japan isn't cheap:\ So I'd consider living with it or opening up the case and taking a look.

Offline JulienC

• Esc Artist
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 14:35:51 »
My left shift key is slightly tilted too. Sorry for the picture quality, this was taken with a blurry webcam.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 October 2013, 11:43:56 by JulienC »

HHKB

Offline alexlzl

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 15:20:08 »
majestouch: I guess I will just live with it. Since you have direct relationship with PFU, is it possible you bring this issue to their attention? To me I feel it is a universal build defect they should be aware of (the switch is off, not keycaps). Even for those $10 cheapo board I never has such of obvious alignment issue, and we are paying almost $300 for theirs. Thanks.

Offline majestouch

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 15:45:29 »
Quote from: alexlzl;129435
majestouch: I guess I will just live with it. Since you have direct relationship with PFU, is it possible you bring this issue to their attention? To me I feel it is a universal build defect they should be aware of (the switch is off, not keycaps). Even for those $10 cheapo board I never has such of obvious alignment issue, and we are paying almost $300 for theirs. Thanks.

I have seen a misaligned key before, but it was warped plastic and it was sent back to PFU for investigation. I'll ask them to investigate misaligned switches as well.

However, to be fair, you can't really compare an HHKB to a $10 cheapo board. This isn't even an apples and oranges comparison. $10 cheapos do not have the complexity, smooth travel, durability, or the quality of materials of the HHKB. And the psychological factor can't be discounted here either; people are *much* more likely to scrutinize an HHKB for alignment (or other construction variable) then a $10 board. I've bought $10,$9,$8 boards; they tend to have keys that bind like a typewriter, or bend/jam/squeak, and a whole other list of malformations, but nobody cares because it's so cheap.

Offline alexlzl

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 16:23:10 »
That's a fair statement. I was not comparing $10 board with HHKB, just want to make sure PFU is aware of this quality issue which is kind of annoying (for $300 at least they should make it beautiful, right?)