Author Topic: TVS Owned by Cherry?  (Read 4631 times)

Offline itlnstln

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 16:23:00 »
According to this, Cherry (now ZF) owns TVS, the makers of the TVS Gold in India.  Maybe that's why they are able to sell them so cheap.

Offline itlnstln

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 16:28:25 »
Slightly OT, but we are linked to in Wikipedia on the Das Keyboard page.  Cool.

Offline itlnstln

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 October 2009, 16:38:35 »
You down to go OT? Yeah, you know me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1L9udNrNeE

C'mon, ripster, you know my style.  If anyone is going to derail my threads, it's going to be me.  And in the first reply, nonetheless.

Offline erricrice

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 12:25:07 »
Lol, right from the wiki page about the DAS:

Review Reception

Most reviews have been warm. The keyboard has been noted for it's ability to support typing at high speeds. It can accept more keystrokes at an instance than the average keyboard without halting.
I\'m selling all my Shizz! Please buy it!

White ALPS: Northgate Omnikey 101-NCS(Real-Complicated)****Filco Zero FKBN87Z/EB(Fukka Simplifieds)****Siig MiniTouch(XM Simplifieds)
Black ALPS: Black Dell AT-101W(Real-Complicated)****ABS M1(Modded Black ALPS, Linear)
Buckling Spring: Model M 1391401(1988 & 1993)
Cherry Blues: DAS III Pro
Cherry Blacks: Cherry G80-11900
Cherry Browns: 3X Cherry G80-8113LRCUS-2
Cherry MY: G81-7000HPBUS-2****G81-3000LANUS-0****Modded to 20g
Rubber Dome: HHKB Lite 2 (White & Black)

Logitech G5[/FONT]
Erricrice\'s Song of the Day: Gorillaz - El Maņana
Yup, Blatantly stealing this from you Kishy, hope you don\'t mind, it\'s a great idea.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 13:18:23 »
Quote from: erricrice;129397

Review Reception

Most reviews have been warm. The keyboard has been noted for it's ability to support typing at high speeds. It can accept more keystrokes at an instance than the average keyboard without halting.

Wait, what? It's usually more of a limitation of the user rather than the keyboard.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 14:54:44 »
http://tvscherry.com/
ZF Electronics TVS (India) Private Limited (Formerly TVS Cherry Private Limited) is a joint venture between TVS Group, India and ZF Electronics Corporation, USA (a group company of ZF Friedrichshafen AG, Germany) to manufacture precision snap action switches, sensors and electromechanical assemblies in India.

ZF Electronics TVS manufacturing facility located at Madurai is ISO 9001:2000 / ISO/TS 16949:2002 certified and is a UL approved site. ZF Electronics TVS manufactures Precision Snap Action / Rocker Switches, Sensors and Reed Relays to cater to automotive, consumer and Industrial markets. ZF Electronics TVS also markets advance performance keyboards and key modules manufactured by ZF Electronics GmbH, Germany.
The TVS Gold is manufactured by TVS Electronics, part of the TVS group. So in fact they are not owned by Cherry / ZF, but due to the joint-venture company they have some good connections.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline wellington1869

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 17:30:48 »
Quote from: erricrice;129397

Review Reception

yup, its a shame; just like elitekeyboards website can continue to tout "the unique matte feel Majestouch textured key coating" of filco keys (which only lasts "several weeks" according to geekhacker reviewers before it wears off).

Premium keyboards usually arent, unfortunately. We have a lot of vendor/manufacturer butt-kicking still left to do. But at least Das seems to have fixed the slow scan rate issue. Now if they can get n-key right, the das would be a true "premium" cherry board.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline timw4mail

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 17:40:37 »
Quote from: wellington1869;129457
yup, its a shame; just like elitekeyboards website can continue to tout "the unique matte feel Majestouch textured key coating" of filco keys (which only lasts "several weeks" according to geekhacker reviewers before it wears off).

Premium keyboards usually arent, unfortunately. We have a lot of vendor/manufacturer butt-kicking still left to do. But at least Das seems to have fixed the slow scan rate issue. Now if they can get n-key right, the das would be a true "premium" cherry board.

I say it isn't premium until I see metal keys.
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline SCTony

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 October 2009, 18:34:57 »
From the Das Wiki page...

"He then had another factory make the best quality keyboard they could deliver ..."
    "Friends and colleagues asked him many times where they could buy a blank keyboard like his, but this was a one-of-a-kind keyboard."

I wonder how much a 1-unit custom board costs?
IBM PC-AT Model F ;  Model M-
    1391401 Aug 89, 92G7453 Nov 95, 42H1292 Jul 97
Compaq KB-9963 (rubber dome);
Cherry MX-SPOS:typing:

Offline d2v

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 02:12:09 »
Holy cow !! Soon I'd be able to buy Cherry boards here in India. Yay!
DSI SMK-88 (Black cherry), TVS Gold, Kensington Expert Mouse, MS NEK 4000, MS NWM 6000

Offline CX23882

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 05:04:38 »
Quote from: ripster;129480
The discussion page is much more entertaining than the actual article.
The discussion pages are great because they help to demonstrate the arrogance of the Wikipedia "elite" compared to the regular users who just want a decent encylopeadia without all the political bull**** and **** sucking. I don't bother to edit Wikipedia pages anymore because you typically get some smart-arse who thinks he or she knows better even though they know nothing about what is being written, only that it doesn't adhere to their idea of "rules", and rather than fix formatting or whatever, they'll simply revert. Don't ever bother trying to write about a product, because the NPOV Nazis will be all over it.

Offline d2v

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 06:35:18 »
Quote from: timw4mail;129459

Amen ! I wonder what EU will say about these (possibly) shocking keyboards :smile:
DSI SMK-88 (Black cherry), TVS Gold, Kensington Expert Mouse, MS NEK 4000, MS NWM 6000

Offline kode

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 07:09:45 »
Quote from: ripster;129480
The discussion page is much more entertaining than the actual article.

That is always the case, I have found.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 08:42:17 »
That Wikipedia articles really is a joke - hardly any useful information at all. (The history also is anecdotal at best.) At the very least I'd expect it to have a list of the board versions available so far (the original from Keytronic, the II as a Cherry, the III and the S which I think are made by Costar) with their individual pros and cons.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 15:52:37 »
Quote from: timw4mail;129459

There are plenty of keys with textures that don't wear off even after many years of hard use. Everyone knows about Model M keys, but there are others too. One of my keyboards, an NEC RT101 (a very good rubber dome board from the early 1990's, has keys with a sort of smoother but dull finish on them which has not worn off at all even though it has withstood almost two decades of use.

Maybe you're just looking for good keys in the wrong place. Many old keyboards have better keys than newer ones.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline timw4mail

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 19:52:30 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;129630
There are plenty of keys with textures that don't wear off even after many years of hard use. Everyone knows about Model M keys, but there are others too. One of my keyboards, an NEC RT101 (a very good rubber dome board from the early 1990's, has keys with a sort of smoother but dull finish on them which has not worn off at all even though it has withstood almost two decades of use.

Maybe you're just looking for good keys in the wrong place. Many old keyboards have better keys than newer ones.

I just want metal keys. EVERY keyboard has plastic keys. I want one with metal keys is all.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 19:54:41 »
Metal ones would probably have to have a fairly substantial coating on them to prevent erosion. Probably wouldn't feel too different from a good quality plastic key in the end.

Offline timw4mail

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 19:57:21 »
Quote from: ch_123;129647
Metal ones would probably have to have a fairly substantial coating on them to prevent erosion. Probably wouldn't feel too different from a good quality plastic key in the end.

Aluminum doesn't seem to have a problem.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 20:11:19 »
Given the question marks over the safety of aluminium, I'd rather not have a keyboard made out of the stuff, even if it was coated.

Offline timw4mail

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 20:17:02 »
Quote from: ch_123;129650
Given the question marks over the safety of aluminium, I'd rather not have a keyboard made out of the stuff, even if it was coated.

How about titanium? That can't be easy to work with.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 20:23:35 »
Yeah, as far as I know, Titanium is expensive to work with. I'd imagine that you'd need some alloy that was both corrosion resistant and very light (to prevent the weight interfering with the operation of the keyswitch)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 20:23:45 »
Quote from: ch_123;129650
Given the question marks over the safety of aluminium...

Huh? >.>

Offline itlnstln

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 02 November 2009, 09:31:41 »
It's Monday.  Me take control of a thread?  Right...

Offline itlnstln

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 02 November 2009, 10:14:29 »
I'm fine with it as long as it makes my teeth look like this:

Offline itlnstln

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 02 November 2009, 10:23:09 »
Try suing P&G, they have more money.  If you really want to sue a retail outlet, sue Wal-Mart.  We always appreciate the help.

Offline itlnstln

TVS Owned by Cherry?
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 02 November 2009, 10:31:54 »
Quote from: ripster;129902
Poor WalMart. Don't know why they get so much hate.

It must be their clientele.