Author Topic: Worthy keyboards  (Read 14962 times)

Offline itlnstln

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 02 November 2009, 15:40:44 »
Quote from: Shawn Stanford;129960
Dude, you know that cat on the left is shaggin' all three of those chicks...

A little booze, a little BINGO, a little booty.  Good times.

Offline maxlugar

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 02 November 2009, 21:43:16 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;129375
Sorry, but if you pay $200 for a keyboard you've got issues. Especially when you have plenty of other perfectly fine keyboards.

Many of us who post here, on a website devoted, strangely enough, to KEYBOARDS, have spent $200 and more for some of the keyboards in our collections.  We already know we have issues which is why we can all relate.
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline maxlugar

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 02 November 2009, 21:49:16 »
Quote from: webwit;129518
I hang out on car forums where I tell people I really love vintage cars, but repeatedly remind everyone that I'd never spend more than $200 on a car and I only buy from scrap yards. And anyone else has issues. Also I drive a Dodge.

Well put.  Dare I say, even witty  :)

Offline maxlugar

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 02 November 2009, 21:51:42 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;129375
Sorry, but if you pay $200 for a keyboard you've got issues. Especially when you have plenty of other perfectly fine keyboards.

On second thought, you are right.  But anyone who voluntarily chooses the name Microsoft Windows and who uses the Windows box as an avatar probably has bigger issues than the rest of us.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Worthy keyboards
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 02 November 2009, 22:58:59 »
Quote from: maxlugar;130018
On second thought, you are right.  But anyone who voluntarily chooses the name Microsoft Windows and who uses the Windows box as an avatar probably has bigger issues than the rest of us.

I like Windows.

It's a vital part of my favourite PC metaphor:

A computer is just a $1200 Playskool Busy Box for adults.

It doesn't do anything practical, but makes noises and has a lot of knobs and doodads to fiddle with.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Worthy keyboards
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 13:24:58 »
Quote from: maxlugar;130018

How does being a Windows user give you more issues than spending hundreds of dollars on a computer keyboard?

People can buy what they want with their own money, but computer keyboards only cost so much to produce. Just about none of the keyboards people talk about here cost even $50 to produce. So why do people pay hundreds of dollars for them? The manufacturers are charging outrageous prices.

Personally, I always like to look for the used/refurbished models for many things. They're a lot cheaper and are basically the same thing in the same condition (not if used; many used things may have dings and/or scratches). If the feel of a keyboard is what's the most important, then a few scratches shouldn't matter too much.

I personally can't afford to spend that much on computer keyboards, but I know of many other things that money can get.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 November 2009, 13:30:47 by microsoft windows »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Worthy keyboards
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 13:26:19 »
How does typing on a $200 keyboard give you issues?

Offline lowpoly

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 14:13:28 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;130185
People can buy what they want with their own money, but computer keyboards only cost so much to produce. Just about none of the keyboards people talk about here cost even $50 to produce. So why do people pay hundreds of dollars for them? The manufacturers are charging outrageous prices.
Marketing and selling a product costs money too. Then there is profit which for some reason you expect to be close to zero.

Quote from: microsoft windows;130185
Personally, I always like to look for the used/refurbished models for many things. They're a lot cheaper and are basically the same thing in the same condition (not if used; many used things may have dings and/or scratches).
If everybody did that there would be no used things.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 November 2009, 14:26:07 by lowpoly »

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Worthy keyboards
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 14:59:41 »
Just about none of the keyboards people talk about here cost even $50 to produce. So why do people pay hundreds of dollars for them?

Welcome to how the world works. Oh by the way, that logic also applies to everything else, like food for example. I suggest you stick it to the man and only eat food that is at least 15 years old. Refurbished food is also good too.

Offline lowpoly

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 15:28:24 »
Quote from: ch_123;130222
Oh by the way, that logic also applies to everything else, like food for example.
Or some well known operating system...

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Worthy keyboards
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 03 November 2009, 16:54:40 »
Quote from: ch_123;130222
Welcome to how the world works. Oh by the way, that logic also applies to everything else, like food for example. I suggest you stick it to the man and only eat food that is at least 15 years old. Refurbished food is also good too.

Computers aren't completely like food you know. They don't rot, they don't get moldy, nor do people cook them on their stoves.

However, I was simply putting forth a less costly alternative to buying expensive computer products. Purchasing refurbished and used models is a valid way to save a lot of money.

Computers have also changed now. In 2000, a 10-year-old computer would get you just about nowhere. That was because back then, especially in the 1990's, computer hardware went through significant advances. Software did too. New software needed new hardware. However, that has changed now.

Right now, I am typing this on a 15-year old keyboard and looking at a 17-year-old monitor, which is connected to a 9-year-old computer. If I had been doing that in 2000, I'd be using a computer from 1991, a keyboard from 1985, and a monitor from 1983. That set-up would probably not even work!

The reason behind people being able to get much more use out of their old computers is the fact that computers began to change around 2000. New software stopped needing new hardware. Hardware from about 2000 or later does just about everything the average computer user needs. Using a computer from 2000, I can communicate with people thousands of miles away in a second. I can type papers, perform calculations at the speed of light, and play most games. You couldn't do that a decade ago.

I've seen quite a few of you guys criticizing me because I do not have a new computer. But I don't do advanced picture editing. I'm not a gamer. I basically use e-mail, play Solitaire, talk on forums, and type things. So why would I need a new computer when mine does that perfectly well? If I can get something that works fine for free, I'm happy.

Before you trash that old computer, take a second look at it. Chances are it can live a new life if you simple update some components. The best way to recycle an old computer is to fix it up and find a use for it!
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 November 2009, 17:30:24 by microsoft windows »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline AndrewZorn

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 07:22:14 »
you might want to look into the newer cell phones if that is all you expect from a computer

im all for doing things frugally, or at least considering money as part of the decision.  and i wish that i could do the whole "live in a cave and experience everything 10 years late for 1% of the cost" thing, too...

but yeah, i enjoy new hardware

Offline MFGorilla

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 08:44:48 »
There is a valid point to saving money by going the used route, but it can limit you.  I'm all for it, but personally I couldn't do it with my main computer.  (as i type this on a keyboard I found at work, the computer my parents handed me down this summer and a monitor that is at least 10 years old)
"I want an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!"

Using Now: Unicomp Spacesaver (black/grey) | IBM Model M 1391401 White Label| IBM Model M 1394946 by Lexmark
[COMMENT]On The Way: IBM Model M Industrial[/COMMENT]
Wish list: Filco Majestouch tenless with Blue Cherries | Matias Tactile Pro 3 | IBM Model M Space Saver
In Storage: IBM M2, DELL bluetooth wireless

Offline nerp

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 10:08:32 »
I don't play games but I do encode XviD and I like to be able to scroll through image-heavy webpages without the system turning into a slideshow. I have newer machines because waiting around for the machine to catch up with me is a tedious process.

Newer hardware can often be more energy efficient, too. I like the fact that sleep/hibernate actually works -- something that cannot be said for a machine made in 2000 running Windows 2000 or XP.
U N I.C O M P - Am I the only one that likes the logo?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Worthy keyboards
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 15:17:19 »
Hibernation works fine in Windows 2000.

About power consumption:
Contrary to popular belief, older desktops actually consume much less electricity than newer ones. Mine has a 115-watt power supply. Any new desktop would have a 300+ watt power supply in order to power faster components.

Personally, I've never really noticed images being slow to load on web pages. I'd say that's more dependent on your internet speed than computer hardware.

Offline Rajagra

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 16:03:31 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;130400
Contrary to popular belief, older desktops actually consume much less electricity than newer ones. Mine has a 115-watt power supply.

While I miss the days when CPUs didn't need fans, I do enjoy the luxury of things happening instantly on new PCs. 115W won't even power a decent video card today.

If you're willing to forego the speed of the latest systems you could build a quiet and low power modern machine with careful choices of components, and maybe underclocking.

Some aspects of old PCs are not great. Hard drives for example have improved enormously. I probably have some old 5.25" full-height drives knocking around that used more power than the PC I'm on right now.

Offline JBert

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 16:11:01 »
Ah, the uTron. Tempting indeed...
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline itlnstln

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 16:11:25 »
That is a worthy keyboard.  Antidote, indeed.

Offline J888www

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 16:39:12 »
There are many people dying of hunger through lack of resources. Those who are more fortunate to have more than enough cash to spend, that's their own business. Those who are comfortable with their old equipment and not wanting to boast about how much cash they have to waste is also their own business. We live in a Democracy :usa:, freedom of speech, free to keep up with the Jones etc etc etc. Everyone is born equal but some people are more equal than others, we should consider ourselves very lucky. If when my Time comes from the Calling of  my Lord and Saviour, I would be going as everyone's equal. :angel:

:focus: But enough of all that..... I would like to know if there are any Model M's with Chinese layout ? That would be My Worthy Keyboard (more than likely not your choice) , I had always wanted one , this is what I seek and that's why I'm here.
Reason ?  I is an old Oriental.
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Worthy keyboards
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 16:48:14 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;130242
Computers aren't completely like food you know. They don't rot, they don't get moldy

You obviously haven't seen some of the old PCs I have seen...

I've seen quite a few of you guys criticizing me because I do not have a new computer.

Woah, blatant misrepresentation of facts.

The problem that I (and several others by the looks of it) have is that most of your posts are to the effect of "I have an ancient PC, lol". Then when people are discussing what mouse/keyboard/miscellaneous hardware item to get, you barge in with stuff like "Just use an old two-button serial mouse" (in threads about trackballs usually) or "The Model M is the best keyboard ever because I pulled it out of skip". This stuff is just repetitive, and adds nothing to the quality of the discussion.

The culmination of this idiotic trend is when you insinuated that someone had 'issues' because they were prepared to spend up to $200 on a keyboard, and then you have to cheek to turn around and accuse us of not respecting your taste in hardware. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

The truth is that no one really cares what PC you run. If you can make a 10 year old system work for you, then that's great. But there's no need to rub it in everyone's face at every available opportunity and act like it makes you a better person.

[/rant]

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Worthy keyboards
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 16:49:29 »
Quote from: J888www;130411
:focus: But enough of all that..... I would like to know if there are any Model M's with Chinese layout ? That would be My Worthy Keyboard (more than likely not your choice) , I had always wanted one , this is what I seek and that's why I'm here.

The Japanese had their own special Buckling Spring board (5576-A01). Not sure about the Chinese. I have seen some Korean Model Ms though.

Offline mike2h

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 17:02:14 »
The reason behind people being able to get much more use out of their old computers is the fact that computers began to change around 2000. New software stopped needing new hardware. Hardware from about 2000 or later does just about everything the average computer user needs. Using a computer from 2000, I can communicate with people thousands of miles away in a second. I can type papers, perform calculations at the speed of light, and play most games. You couldn't do that a decade ago.

while i actually agree with your basic premise- as long as all your doing is surfing the internet & basic word processing- your statement that u can 'play most games is ludicrous, unles youare talking about most games from 200 & even then i would have doubts. an above average computer back then needed a 300w psu. wich means your comp was probably below average. that translates into poor/very poor performance on just about everything nowdays.
if you are happy with very slow performance, poor iq( personally i think this is the area you are lossing the most in), good for you. im here to tell u it isnt much to be proud of, & getting on other people because they want out of the stone age is ridiculous.

Offline J888www

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 17:50:52 »
I was merely trying to say that we should be content as we are very fortunate in relation to others in this World (why else would I mention Hunger and Death ?), and criticism/belittling should not be given to others who opt for different priorities in equipment. If I seemed to be impertinent, I apologise. I had not intended to offend.
  I will tell my Lord to judge me, there is nothing to hide (maybe a Keyboard or two behind my back) :ohwell:

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
Worthy keyboards
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 19:35:46 »
Quote from: mike2h;130416
while i actually agree with your basic premise- as long as all your doing is surfing the internet & basic word processing- your statement that u can 'play most games is ludicrous, unles youare talking about most games from 200 & even then i would have doubts. an above average computer back then needed a 300w psu. wich means your comp was probably below average. that translates into poor/very poor performance on just about everything nowdays.
if you are happy with very slow performance, poor iq( personally i think this is the area you are lossing the most in), good for you. im here to tell u it isnt much to be proud of, & getting on other people because they want out of the stone age is ridiculous.

It depends on what definition of "game" you have. It varies to quite a degree. I'll tell you that there are plenty of games that would make my computers blow up, but there are also lots of simple online games.

An older computer can do things beyond basic work processing as well. You'll be surprised what Office 97 can do!

I'm not too proud of my computers. But I do just about the same stuff that many other people do on their brandy new computers, minus the nice-looking windows and "Start" menu.

By no means are older computers for everyone. Some people play more advanced games as a hobby. Some others like Photoshop. Some just want what's new. There's nothing wrong with that.

Offline rdjack21

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 04 November 2009, 23:06:20 »
Quote from: webwit;130408
This thread needs antidote.

Why is it every time I think I'm about to get over the desire to get that board you show up and post it all over the site? Now I have the fight the urge to just get it and be done with it all over again. Man I want one of those boards. I have my cupped Topre now I need one of those. Man you ruined my day.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline AndrewZorn

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 05 November 2009, 02:35:31 »
the "well what about other people" thing is a flawed argument.  how could you EVER not feel guilty buying a car over $1000 (if you even need it in the first place)?  ramen noodles will sustain life.  etc etc etc.  think of all the politicians that spend thousands just on LUNCH.  it is hopeless to try to say that one style of living is selfish because there is another that is not as nice.

Offline sandy55

M with 注音記号
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 05 November 2009, 07:05:10 »
Quote from: J888www;130411

Do you mean one like this attachment?

Offline itlnstln

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 05 November 2009, 08:51:04 »
That pic would suggest J888www could get a "regular" Model M and just replace the keycaps (if he can find them).

Thanks for stopping by, Sandy.

Offline rdjack21

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 05 November 2009, 08:56:38 »
Quote from: sandy55;130491
Do you mean one like this attachment?

Yea I see those on Yahoo Japan every now and then and keep thinking I should get one.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline J888www

Worthy keyboards
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 05 November 2009, 11:00:22 »
Tyvm Sandy. Just had a thought, maybe I'm searching sites from the wrong country. Took me this long to think of it , only realised after reading  QUOTE "Yea I see those on Yahoo Japan every now and then and keep thinking I should get one" , maybe more luck with searching Taiwan or HK sites.

Edit: Found layout, but not the type of keyboard, maybe still hope
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 November 2009, 18:05:50 by J888www »