Author Topic: Help the spaniard!  (Read 3651 times)

Offline eliOcs

Help the spaniard!
« on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 19:19:03 »
Hi, I've been enjoying the "keyboard pics" post for a while (on page 70 at the moment). I'm no keyboard enthuasist yet but I'm willing to become one :D, my actual and ONLY keyboard is a CHERRY G80 3000 LPCES, thats the black switch usb interface and spanish layout cherry:

(just took some pictures with my cell phone, excuse the bad quality)

Watching everybody's keyboards has really made me want to buy a new one!

The keyboards I've really got an eye on are:

REALFORCE

FILCO

(yeah thats right I like black keyboards)

I would also love to get the red ESC key, the blue W A S D keys and the "L" shaped ENTER Key. I don't know if it possible to get either of these keyboards with the spanish layout (my beloved Ñ) and the "L" shaped enter key. I guess this is an easy task for this forum!

I will also want to know if anyone can describe the difference in touch between REALFORCE's topre keys compared to the cherry's black switch keys.

Thanks in advance.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Help the spaniard!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 19:35:11 »
The Keyboard Co in the UK will be selling Filcos in the UK layout (which also has the inverted-L enter) however, Topres are US layout only.

I will also want to know if anyone can describe the difference in touch between REALFORCE's topre keys compared to the cherry's black switch keys.

I've used neither, but the general consensus around here would be -

Cherry Blacks - Stiff, no tactile 'bump', reasonably quiet.
Topres - Lightweight, very suble tactile bump, quiet.

Filcos will have either Black, Blue or Brown switches. The browns are a similar type of switch to the topres (quiet and lightweight), and some people like one more than the other for different reasons. Blues are slightly stiffer but are noisy - which may or may not be an advantage depending on your preference. If you like the stiffness of the Cherry Blacks, but want a clicky keyboard, you may want a Unicomp. Unicomps are also of interest because you can order one in a Spanish layout for no extra cost.

(They do black/silver versions with Windows keys too)
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 October 2009, 20:13:08 by ch_123 »

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Help the spaniard!
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 October 2009, 21:24:25 »
If you want to try out some other switches, especially Cherry blues, there would also be the option of getting some other 105-key G80-3000 with the desired type of switch and then swapping keycaps as needed. It would have to be one with the new-style case as used in the German factory though (i.e. the same as the existing board), and I'm absolutely not sure which ones that would be currently!

Such a keycap swap would be a good opportunity to give those on the LPCES a good cleanup (maybe sixty style with denture cleaning tabs) and brush off the PCB as well - black boards are pretty merciless about revealing dirt on them. :photo:
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline rdjack21

Help the spaniard!
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 01 November 2009, 01:27:31 »
Quote from: ch_123;129644
however, Topres are US layout only.

Incorrect.

You can get Topre keyboards with L shaped enter keys but you have to get the Japanese layout to get it.

Seeing that eliOcs is only showing full size keyboards that would be the 106U or 106UB (black version) for around 19,000 Yen, or the 108U(B) for around 20,000 yen in Japan.

Here is the 106 in white sorry don't have a image handy for the black version.

Or the 108UB

But if you like tenkeyless you have the 91U or the 89U. The 89U is not in production any more but you can still find them if you want one. It should also be noted that the 91U also has the 91UBY version as well.

And a picture of the 91UBY version:

But to get that L shaped enter key you have to deal with the short space bar that can be troublesome for some people. I have not had an issue with them. And you get the added bonus of the additional language keys that can be used for all kinds of things. That 91UBY has been tempting me lately and I may eventually get one but I have a few other things I need to get first before splurging on one. Hmm still need to get a white HHKB Pro and still need to get myself a couple of those number pads.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline rdjack21

Help the spaniard!
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 01 November 2009, 01:31:44 »
Quote from: ripster;129663
His spacebar is going shiny as well but I wasn't going to mention that.

That Topre force curve is sure a long gradual one.  You are comparing the black vs the light blue line - very different.
Show Image

What has always struck home every time I see that graph is how much smoother the plot line is for the Topre's. And your fingers do feel that when you type on them. There are also some other graphs on the Topre wiki page that show other switches as well and one that shows the 55g short throw Topre. And in pretty much every case the Topre has the smoothest graph line.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline eliOcs

Help the spaniard!
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 November 2009, 01:38:27 »
@ch_123: I've checked the unicomp website, I'll maybe getting one of those later, the case is the only thing I dislike on the keyboard. I can't find on the website if the sell black keycaps.

@ripster: wow that graph was really helpfull to undestand the topre keyboards, thanks!

@keyb_gr: I am realy curious con the blue cherry switches now, and I really like the filco case. Yeah I agree I need to clean the keyboard ASAP, where can I get the coloured keycaps? Are FILCO keycaps the same size as the cherrys g80-3000 keycaps?

(shiny spacebar only means its being worn off, or are they other implications?)

conclusion:
Realforce keyboards are ONLY in the US layout, and filco keyboards may get a spanish layout with time if the are allready selling the UK layout.

hate to wait! ^^

Offline eliOcs

Help the spaniard!
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 01 November 2009, 01:44:25 »
wow I'm too slow posting

@rdjack21: Really good finds! Yellow keycaps are pretty sweet. The small backspace and small spacebar really hurt me but I guess thats the prices I pay for liking que big L shaped enter key.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Help the spaniard!
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 November 2009, 05:53:53 »
Quote from: eliOcs;129679
@ch_123: I've checked the unicomp website, I'll maybe getting one of those later, the case is the only thing I dislike on the keyboard. I can't find on the website if the sell black keycaps.

Unfortunately they stopped making black keycaps due to manufacturing problems. The closest you can get is this. (They make Spanish ones as well)

conclusion:and filco keyboards may get a spanish layout with time if the are allready selling the UK layout.

hate to wait! ^^

Not sure about that, the UK filcos are a special order item for Keyboard Co. (ie. they never made European layout keyboards before now) But because the keycaps are compatible, you can get a UK Filco and put your Spanish keycaps onto it.

Offline eliOcs

Help the spaniard!
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 November 2009, 06:26:12 »
@ch_123: thats a great idea, anyone knows where can you buy keycaps for cherry switches (without having to buy a keyboard).

I'm also thinkng that if I get one with blank keycaps the layout wont matter (otaku style). Think the black tenkeyless filco with blue switches and blank keycaps will be my next buy although they are out of stock at elitekeyboards.com