Author Topic: Saitek Eclipse to FIlco Questions  (Read 4047 times)

Offline Snoox

Saitek Eclipse to FIlco Questions
« on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 14:31:42 »
Hey guys, I'm new to mechanical keyboards.. the only time I've used them was back in high school where there were a few IBM keyboards scattered in the library.

I've decided to make the jump to a Filco board but my brain is about to explode trying to make the choice between the Cherry brown switches or the black ones.  I'll be using the keyboard for mostly for gaming with a modest amount of typing.  I've been reading around the forums trying to get a good idea of what each switch would feel like, but its tough since I don't have a mechanical keyboard to compare with.

So right now I have a Saitek Eclipse keyboard, and want some opinions on people who've tried this and the cherry brown black switches.  Mainly all I want to know is how firm/light are the switches, and how deep do the buttons go, all relative to the eclipse.  I've heard that the black ones are very firm, and require much more force to press, which is alright but might give my pinky a little trouble.  Thanks for the help :smile:

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 14:37:25 »
brown is the closer to the feel of rubber dome, but obviously better

ive never used one, but the black switches get a horrible rep when used for anything BUT gaming,
and in all my question asking and searching, similarly with other people, the consensus seems to be that brown CAN work for both typing and gaming, but black really cannot

i think if you are pleased with the required pressure for the eclipse, brown is a good place to start
especially if you still think you are only going to buy ONE

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 14:41:15 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;130731
especially if you still think you are only going to buy ONE

Hurry, and leave while you still can! Because ^ never happens.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline msiegel

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 14:50:20 »
uh-oh, too much reading -- Snoox has already reached critical mass.

all we can do now is comfort him.

:)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 14:50:43 »
Get the brown.  You'll respect yourself in the morning.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 15:17:04 »
The OP clearly needs a Beam Spring switch keyboard.

Discuss.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 15:19:16 »
While nice, I am sure, I think the OP needs something that works with current technology.  I Model F or M might be nice, but I am not sure if that would be the best choice for gaming.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 15:38:46 »
Quote from: itlnstln;130755
While nice, I am sure, I think the OP needs something that works with current technology.  I Model F or M might be nice, but I am not sure if that would be the best choice for gaming.

I've yet to play a game where either fails...but that's just me.
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 15:44:29 »
I wouldn't think it would fail, but it might be a bit noisy.

Offline timw4mail

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 15:51:07 »
Quote from: itlnstln;130766
I wouldn't think it would fail, but it might be a bit noisy.

In your average run and gun FPS you don't really notice ;)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 15:53:04 »
Yeah, probably not.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 16:11:55 »
I dug out my (first generation) Eclipse and compared. Brown Cherries are remarkably similar to the Eclipse, in that both have a tactile 'collapse' near the top of the travel. The browns are slightly lighter, more precise and have a bit more travel - which you don't have to use in full as the tactile point is where they activate. The Cherries are slightly louder but mainly that's if you bottom out. The Eclipse keys feel like they are about to bind if you hit them off-centre, the Cherries are silky smooth. The spacebar on my Eclipse is lighter than the letter keys - very odd.  The Cherry spacebar is firmer than the letter keys.

Going from the Eclipse to a Cherry Brown board would be a natural and easy transition.

Cherry Blacks are firmer than the Eclipse (and the Browns) and have no tactile spot. You would have to adjust to them, and the only advantage would be that you could rest your hands on them more heavily. If you need to do that a wrist rest would be a better way to support your hands.

Go for the Browns.

Offline Thaxll'ssillyia

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 16:14:52 »
For gaming (and in general) i definitely prefer tactile switches (brown or clear). You just need to press them til you feel the bump to make sure they register and don't have to smash them till they bottom out. This is especially good if you use the pinky alot.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 16:42:48 »

Offline Snoox

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 16:44:58 »
Wow thanks guys, didn't expect this many responses so quick :)  Gonna go ahead and get the Filco brown switch keyboard.  My brain is officially not going to explode :P

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 20:16:23 »
You'll love brown switches for gaming. Out of the Browns, blue cherries or Topre capacitives, I enjoyed browns the most

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 06 November 2009, 20:41:43 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;130731
...especially if you still think you are only going to buy ONE

This remark made me laugh. But there are some people who are very happy with just one keyboard. However, these folks don't usually come here and aks questions :-)

Offline Shuki

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 23:03:42 »
I was in a similar situation a while back and I would say that between brown and black neither is "superior" to the other in gaming, although due to the lightness of the browns you will probably get less fatigue from the browns.

The browns feel a lot more comfortable when typing and I much prefer the sound (lol n00b two finger typist who bottoms out the keys :/ ).

I would say that a Filco with browns would suit you fine. I play a lot of fast paced games (such as quake) and I have no troubles with the my Filco with browns.

Although I am hoping one day Filco releases a board with cherry reds or I could get a hold of a Cherry keyboard with reds without having to use a buying company or whatever. Oh well, a man can dream...