Author Topic: Mini DIN 8 vs ADB to USB Convertors?  (Read 2044 times)

Offline hyperlinked

Mini DIN 8 vs ADB to USB Convertors?
« on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 20:58:46 »
I've come across a number of references here about the relatively high cost of getting iMate adapters to convert ADB cables to USB so you can use an AEKII on modern machines. It's been a while since I've fumbled with old Apple ADB cables, but I seem to remember that a male mini DIN 4 plug fit fine into a female mini DIN 8 plug.

If my memory serves me true, then shouldn't you be able to buy a mini DIN 8 to USB connector if you can't find a reasonably prices iMate? They've got them here:
http://store.microconnectors.com/servlet/-strse-1186/USB-to-2-Port/Detail

The convertor would still cost more than most AEKII's on eBay, but wouldn't be twice as much.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline ak_nala

Mini DIN 8 vs ADB to USB Convertors?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 02:55:03 »
Wow, interesting thought, but pretty sure there's no way it would work.

Don't know about the pin-for-pin compatibility (data, power, ground), but though they are both part of the mini-DIN family and the pin layout looks more or less the same, there is a key in the ADB plug that would prevent insertion into the serial adapter. (Note that ADB cables are basically identical to S-Video cables.)

The real problem is that there is a whole lot that needs to go on to communicate to an ADB device that is normally done by the host computer. The iMate takes care of that communication, while a normal serial adapter wouldn't know where to start.

Same goes with trying to hack a PS/2 to USB adapter to work with ADB. They just don't speak the same language. ADB was invented by the Woz to be a better solution for its intended purpose and is a very different beast to standard PC serial protocols and PS/2.

For starters, ADB is a bus architecture and all communication on that bus is instigated by the host computer (which does periodic polling of the devices detected at startup for status updates), while with PS/2 either the keyboard or the computer can instigate communication by manipulating the clock line, IIRC. ADB doesn't even HAVE a clock line.

So the iMate has to mimic a host computer as well as translate the ADB protocols to USB in both directions. Bit more complicated than a Blue Cube or a serial Adapter.
No matter where you go, there you are...