Author Topic: Cheap, portable, tactile. Pipedream ?  (Read 10109 times)

Offline GGLucas

Cheap, portable, tactile. Pipedream ?
« on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 20:59:38 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 June 2022, 04:56:14 by GGLucas »

Offline msiegel

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 22:06:03 »
hmm, i occasionally need a decent portable board too...

the filco with browns is neither as small, light, or inexpensive as i'd like, to be a portable...

i'll be watching the responses with interest :)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 22:25:54 »
Quote from: msiegel;130937
the filco with browns is neither as small, light, or inexpensive as i'd like, to be a portable...

They might be quieter than blues, but I wouldn't tow my Filco with browns into classroom unless I hated everyone in the room.

Quote from: msiegel;130937
i'll be watching the responses with interest :)

Me too, but I'm not holding my breath. As the old saying about the quality triangle goes, it can be done fast, it can be done well, and it can be done cheaply. Pick any two.

I know the HHKB Lites are rubber domes, but are they pretty decent for rubber domes?
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 00:13:00 »
Quite, small, light, not a rubber dome and cheap is going to be a very hard combination to find. Personally I haul around a HHKB Pro but that fails the cheap part :) But it is quite, small and light but in a sense is a rubber dome but not a rubber dome at the same time :)

I have not tried one of the Cherry 4100 boards but they are supposed to be decent. They have the cherry MY switches in them and they can be had for reasonable cost. For instance here is one with a BIN price of $39 with free shipping check out the picture on that one to see what it looks like. If you look around you can find them cheaper but you have to pay shipping.

Like someone else stated the HHKB Light may work as well but again I'm not to sure how it feels and it is a rubber dome. But a auction just showed up with one with a starting bid of $19 at that price it may be worth trying.

It should also be noted that all of these keyboards are PS/2 not usb but you can use a converter on them.

I'm interested in what you end up getting in the end because there are so few options out there for small and quite no matter the price.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline skriefal

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 00:41:39 »
If you're referring to the Cherry G84-4100, it uses ML keyswitches... not MY.  The ML switch is a short-throw mechanical switch; the MY is a sort of hybrid with a mechanical spring unit over a membrane (IIRC).

And you can buy an HHKB Lite for $12 + shipping here.  Shipping doubles the cost, but at $24 it's still likely the cheapest you'll find.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 01:32:06 »
Cheap, portable, tactile. Pick any two... ;)

IMHO, the HHKB Pro is perfect.  Not cheap at all...but I have yet to hear of anyone regretting purchasing one.  xsphat expressed some dissatisfaction with his, sold it, tried several other keyboards, and then returned to a HHKB Pro 2 as his primary 'board.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 04:08:22 »
Buy a Thinkpad, and get a usable keyboard built into your laptop for free!

Oh wait, you wanted cheap solutions...

Jokes aside, Compaq MX11800?

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 07:22:07 »
Quote from: GGLucas;130931
cheap, silent and portable keyboard that types acceptably

I think you just described the HHKB Lite. It doesn't feel great, but IMO it is acceptable. At least you don't have to mash the keys onto the board to make them register like you need to with some other rubber dome boards.

The Cherry ML4100 is close too, depends which you can find cheapest. Both can be found at a bargain price if you are patient. Personally I prefer the simple layout of the HHKBLite. It's a great concept even for a desktop keyboard, but for a travel board it's ideally suited.

One other idea - TypeMatrix boards. Scissor-switch based, but pretty good. Would require adjustment, but I'm sure anyone who gets used to them absolutely loves them.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 14:04:09 »
Could also consider a BTC 5100C. Haven't tried these myself.

Offline JBert

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 14:07:36 »
Quote from: Rajagra;131035
Could also consider a BTC 5100C. Haven't tried these myself.
Well, it is a rubber dome so not that tactile, yet a new example be bearable.

I've got one of those lying around somewhere and they're still crisp. At least it doesn't feel like some generic mush.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 19:20:11 »
I'm sorry... I'm really, really sorry

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 22:12:18 »
a gui? steal my rams will you?

dip switches are half the fun ;_;
G80-3000LSCRC-2 (MX), "Ricercar" G86-6241OEUAGSA (MX), MX11800 (MX), AEKII (ALPS), AEK (ALPS) Apple Keyboard A9M0330 (ALPS), IBM Model F XT (Bucking Spring), IBM Space Saver 1391472 (Bucking Spring).

Offline msiegel

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 22:20:13 »
Quote from: PRISONER 24601;131121
a gui? steal my rams will you?

dip switches are half the fun ;_;

you're just lucky you have any rams left

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 22:24:07 »
Quote from: msiegel;131124
you're just lucky you have any rams left

I gave most of them to banzai buddy. he's my internet pal!

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 23:05:11 »
Quote from: ripster;131099
I'd wait for the HHKB clone that MsKeyboard hinted at and just use one of the rubber domes mentioned earlier.  I mean, $250 to take notes in class?  

Here is a Filco that they may still sell (anybody know?) that was actually programmable WITHOUT DIP switches (what a concept).
Show Image

Link here.

Nope not for sale any more. I keep an eye out for that one when I'm on Yahoo Japan and I have never seen it listed. But I have seen the non programable version for sale (actually there is one for sale right now) but it has white Alps so it is a little loud :)
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE

Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline zwmalone

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 23:35:16 »
Isn't it just an SMK-85?  I know Filco used to OEM their stuff to StrongMan as DSI does, so it's quite the possibility...
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 23:40:39 »
Quote from: ripster;131099
Here is a Filco that they may still sell (anybody know?) that was actually programmable WITHOUT DIP switches (what a concept).

It's too bad that this keyboard, the FKB-82PRO, apparently is not still available.

Quote from: rdjack21;131128
Nope not for sale any more.

It looks like it would have been very interesting to me - I would be strongly tempted to say it's almost the "perfect" keyboard.

As for "cheap, portable, tactile"... while "cheap, portable, mechanical-switch" is indeed, for the moment, a pipedream, there are some rubber-dome keyboards that have a significant amount of tactile feel.

That black one from DELL that a post somewhere here (I can't find it at the moment; I wouldn't be surprised that it was one of yours) criticized as an evil abomination seems to me to be an example of that. (The SK-8115 or RT7D50... or maybe just the L100.)

Of course, this page:

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000327.html

indicates that that keyboard can do horrible things to your mind. Switching to (an ordinary) rubber dome from a Topre?
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 November 2009, 00:10:19 by quadibloc »

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 00:45:26 »
I saw a few really sweet looking compact keyboards during my trip to recycled computers a few days ago. they were all rubber domes, though. Maybe it's time to break out ye olde dremel tool and work on my first real mod.

I'm in a similar predicament as OP... Need a good keyboard for my netbook at school, and don't wanna pay 250 clams for a HHKB

Offline d2v

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 10:10:49 »
The DSI SMK-88 looks good. It has cherry linear black switches. Makes no typing noise but has higher actuation force.
DSI SMK-88 (Black cherry), TVS Gold, Kensington Expert Mouse, MS NEK 4000, MS NWM 6000

Offline d2v

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 10:28:35 »
Quote from: ripster;131237
I'm a little confused as to whether those are still sold or not.  The DSI rep said they were obsoleted yet the website shows them in stock.

But yeah, in terms of newly shipping compact mechanical switch boards that's it.  I hope it really doesn't weigh 2lbs like their website says - that's pretty hefty for a laptop board.

I bought one about three weeks ago, from amazon.com. It was delivered in a week's time, to an address within USA.

DSI store wants to charge more for the board, compared to price on amazon.  :smile:
DSI SMK-88 (Black cherry), TVS Gold, Kensington Expert Mouse, MS NEK 4000, MS NWM 6000

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 10:32:25 »
Are the Cherry switches in the SMK-88 plate mounted or PCB?  It they're PCB, I might pick one up for a little mod action.  Some Cherry browns from a Compaq and a set of blank keys from Elite. Mmm...

Offline d2v

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 10:36:18 »
I don't have it yet.. it will be reaching here in early December with my globe-trotting (drunken?) friend. (with apologies to welly and you) :smile:

EDIT : Here's the last review on GH
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 November 2009, 10:40:33 by d2v »

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 10:57:18 »
Plate and upper case look like two separate parts.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 10:57:23 »
Dammit.  Oh well.  I would I have loved to do this mod.  I don't have the time or patience for that much soldering.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 11:36:45 »
True, but I think it would be a mod worth doing (and I don't say that often).  The total cost would be ofset by having a keyboard and layout that would be both unique and something you would be happy with over the long-haul.  One of the things I really like about the SMK-88 is that DSI (or whatever OEM) made a compact layout that isn't completely bastardized or too minimal (like the HHKB Pro, IMO, the Lite 2 looks great, however).

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 12:20:34 »
Quote from: ripster;131275
iRocks does a blue cherry but makes it full size and priced too high

If we are thinking about the same 'board, it's brown Cherry. It's smaller than full-size (not compact, though), with a jacked-up layout.  While not cheap, it is priced well below the competition (around $80-90).

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 12:43:51 »
according to a very helpful amazon review, the smk-88 is the same as the filco FKB91JU (EDIT okay not really but close)

but even more importantly, look at this http://www.notestation.com/kb-modmac-umodularmackeyboard.htm

« Last Edit: Mon, 09 November 2009, 12:45:55 by AndrewZorn »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 12:46:26 »
The modular keyboard is nice, but very expensive ($150, although it's not as pricey as the HHKB).  I am not sure if they have the black, Windows version out yet, and I am not sure if they have any of the addons for it either.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 12:47:25 »
Quote from: ripster;131304
You're ruining the joke.

Oops.  Maybe I was just too stupid to figure it out.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 13:10:10 »
Quote from: ripster;131311
Some real love for Deck in the Amazon reviews section for the SMK-88.

I would figure they would feel the same, or, at least, close (unless they got one of the old SMK-88s with the blue switches). I wonder what the real beef was against Deck.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 13:21:37 »
Quote from: itlnstln;131308
The modular keyboard is nice, but very expensive ($150, although it's not as pricey as the HHKB).  I am not sure if they have the black, Windows version out yet, and I am not sure if they have any of the addons for it either.

Quote from: ripster;131310
That thing is wider than a Model M Space Saving.  Not exactly laptop.

Keyboard with a power supply.  That still cracks me up.

yeah, only new to me i found out.  tried to edit, internet went down.

the power is only for the usb hub... people ask for it, then laugh when they get it.  lowpoly's board has it too.

but yeah, $$$$$...

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 13:38:52 »
That i-Rocks 'board is full of "almost."  While I disagree on the blue switches, I certainly agree on the rest as long as it had a virtual numpad.

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 13:50:15 »
actually, i think its numpad is its BEST feature.  better than the arrow and home cluster that the compact filco gets.

but yeah, they screw up the main cluster's layout really bad, but then again, so does deck.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 13:53:09 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;131319
actually, i think its numpad is its BEST feature. better than the arrow and home cluster that the compact filco gets.

but yeah, they screw up the main cluster's layout really bad, but then again, so does deck.

Pretty much. They almost got a compact, fullsize layout right. The Cherry G8x-1800 is perfect, IMO.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 14:00:43 »
A pity that both the FKB-86E and the FKB-91JU have the Enter key too far to the left, while the FKB-82PRO had an Enter key that had only two keys between it and the L.

Apparently, what led to this problem with the layout was the need to provide space for the Windows keys, since they are present on the latter two designs, but absent on the FKB-82PRO. Thus, we have another tragic casualty of the Windows keys.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 14:08:24 »
Quote from: ripster;131326
Basically clone the HHKB lite with decent switches. Price it less than $100. Done.

This.

The guy holding the brown switch looks vaguely like me all the way down to the angry eyebrows and sunglasses. Must be something with Cherry brown-lovers.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 November 2009, 14:10:39 by itlnstln »

Offline msiegel

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 14:08:47 »
Quote from: ripster;131326
Have you ever noticed the Buckling Spring guys don't have much of a sense of humor?

D:

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 14:13:43 »
no, the perfect keyboard for him would be a hhkb pro2 and a lighter wallet

Offline GGLucas

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 14:32:25 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 June 2022, 04:56:24 by GGLucas »

Offline GGLucas

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 15:59:44 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 June 2022, 04:56:34 by GGLucas »

Offline AndrewZorn

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 16:48:31 »
just say it... WINDOWS KEY

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 17:05:04 »
Quote from: AndrewZorn;131307
according to a very helpful amazon review, the smk-88 is the same as the filco FKB91JU (EDIT okay not really but close)

Show Image

The filco FKB91JP ( note not a U) has brown cherries in it. I have my eye on one that I may get so that little Topre I just got can have a shipping companion also here is a better picture of it:

Keyboards

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 21:44:02 »
Quote from: ripster;131411
Hey, no fair.  They give the Japanese a better looking box.  Discrimination I say!

The newer Japanese boxes look just like the US boxes. This is just an older board that was only sold in Japan.
Keyboards

Offline msiegel

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 22:00:53 »
good thing we're not crazy enough to start a forum on keyboard boxes

XD

Offline PRISONER 24601

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 09 November 2009, 22:13:32 »
the model m box is the box to end all boxes, the don't make em like that anymore

8 gauge doublefold corrugated goodness i tell ya!

Offline msiegel

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 10 November 2009, 00:59:33 »
Quote from: PRISONER 24601;131426
the model m box is the box to end all boxes, the don't make em like that anymore

8 gauge doublefold corrugated goodness i tell ya!

some of us prefer the old style model f boxes, with their crisper edges and tab a / slot b construction (instead of hot-melt glue that pops off).

of course the packing foam tends to degrade, but i digress...

Offline GGLucas

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 10 November 2009, 06:12:16 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 June 2022, 04:56:45 by GGLucas »

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 10 November 2009, 08:59:50 »
Quote from: ripster;130938
The M4-1 ($34 on US Ebay) ain't bad but the stupid cable/dongle arrangement weighs almost as much as the keyboard so it wouldn't be my first choice in a laptop bag.

Here's a discussion of other alternatives.

M4-1's are quite noisy when you use them though.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 10 November 2009, 09:14:05 »
They are funny keyboards and they actually fel pretty good for rubber domes.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 10 November 2009, 10:30:58 »
And the award for biggest gap between Ctrl and Alt goes to...