Author Topic: Japanese keyboard: mute key cannot be remapped.  (Read 4358 times)

Offline spremino

Japanese keyboard: mute key cannot be remapped.
« on: Thu, 12 November 2009, 03:29:27 »
Hello,

I'd like to use a Japanese keyboard (FILCO FKBN91M/JB) as my keyboard, since I like the different layout (more keys).

I'm trying to remap (into registry) some keys by means of SharpKeys. However, the key to the left of (the shrinked) Backspace doesn't send any scan code (thus cannot be remapped) and - worse - adds US English (that is: Qwerty) to my keyboard layouts and switches to it (very annoying). Since it does that, I understand that it is not mute, however no scan code seems to be sent.

I'm running Windows XP SP3, and the keyboard is identified as HID Keyboard (translated from Italian: Tastiera HID).

Any help? Thanks.
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline spremino

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 12 November 2009, 04:09:31 »
Solved!

I've found out the offending key to have scan code 7D, which is not recognized by SharpKeys:

Source page: http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-8.html

Cheers ;-)

Offline chimera15

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 12 November 2009, 06:45:35 »
Quote from: spremino;131927
Solved!

I've found out the offending key to have scan code 7D, which is not recognized by SharpKeys:

Show Image

Source page: http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-8.html

Cheers ;-)

I think you need to make sure you have the proper driver as well. Japanese keyboards don't always install Japanese drivers by default.  Try to install the nec japanese usb driver by hand.  The scan codes should then work.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 November 2009, 06:50:11 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 12 November 2009, 10:43:56 »
Can you confirm that the keys around the space bar act normally - i.e. they send a down code when you press them, and an up code when you release?

I recently bought a Korean board for similar reasons to you, but unfortunately the keys beside the space bar send an up code when you press them and do nothing when you release. Makes those keys pretty useless to me.

Offline spremino

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 12 November 2009, 11:09:20 »
Quote from: Rajagra;131973
Can you confirm that the keys around the space bar act normally - i.e. they send a down code when you press them, and an up code when you release?

How could I check that on Windows? Currently I have remapped them as modifiers and they work.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 12 November 2009, 11:29:58 »
You can test using Aqua's Key Test, but if you have them working as modifiers they must work differently to (better than) the Korean keys.