Author Topic: Salmon Alps Revival  (Read 67536 times)

Offline bcredbottle

Salmon Alps Revival
« on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 08:10:37 »
Please make a Salmon Alps clone. Salmon Alps feel like Ergo Clears with a slightly higher actuation point. Given the recent surge of popularity for Clears, I think the market is ripe. They would also nicely round out your current lineup of switches, as Quiet Click switches are too light and short-travel for many tactile freaks.

You also have the capacity to bring it back. You already have some tooling and component inventory that can be used to reduce costs.

Wdyt?

Offline polpo

• http://polpo.org/
Re: Salmon Alps Revival
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 11:58:02 »
Basically Quiet Click without the rubber dampers?
Matias Mini Quiet Pro / DSI SMK-88 (Cherry Black) / IBM Model M (10 Jul 86) / ThinkPad Travel Keyboard with Ultranav

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 August 2015, 12:09:46 »
Basically Quiet Click without the rubber dampers?

Quiet Click are closer to simplified Alps than complicated Alps. Salmon Alps are the latter. They're also heavier.

Offline platypus

• dongerino adventures
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 17:54:59 »
I don't think Matias is currently capable of making complicated ALPS style switches.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 21:40:07 »
I don't think Matias is currently capable of making complicated ALPS style switches.

Why? Is it a complicated process?

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 August 2015, 21:51:13 »
Just take a clicky Matias switch and a tactile Matias switch, and swap the springs and metal leaves between the two. Now you have a damped clicky switch and an undamped tactile switch.

Or if you really need Alps tactile switches of the 1988–1992 era, just buy an old Apple keyboard and desolder the switches, they’re not that expensive. Personally I recommend looking for the earlier orange type as they’re a bit smoother than the later salmon/black ones.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 August 2015, 21:53:44 by jacobolus »

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 09:12:48 »
Just take a clicky Matias switch and a tactile Matias switch, and swap the springs and metal leaves between the two. Now you have a damped clicky switch and an undamped tactile switch.

Or if you really need Alps tactile switches of the 1988–1992 era, just buy an old Apple keyboard and desolder the switches, they’re not that expensive. Personally I recommend looking for the earlier orange type as they’re a bit smoother than the later salmon/black ones.

Thank you! I see why you'd swap the leaf, but why swap the springs?

I actually have two M0116's, one with orange and one with salmon. The orange one is awful (scratchy) while the salmon one feels brilliant. I don't disagree that the orange might have felt better when they were initially produced, but I think the biggest factor in how they feel now is just the condition you buy them in. I don't know if it's possible to get rid of the scratchy feeling, but I'd like to if it's possible.

And thanks for unblocking me. Litster still has me blocked. :(

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 August 2015, 13:40:55 »
The springs differ between the two, and are weighted so that the overall switch stiffness is about the same. If you just swap the leaves you’ll end up with different switch stiffnesses.

I don't know if it's possible to get rid of the scratchy feeling, but I'd like to if it's possible.
You need to disassemble every switch, clear all the dirt out of it (I think an ultrasonic cleaner is probably the best tool for this, but I don’t have one; just swabbing each housing out with an alcohol-soaked Qtip can probably get most of it), lubricate the contact points in the top housing / slider, and then put the switch back together again.

Even then, if the slider or housing plastic have gotten scratched from being used with dust inside them, it might not fully solve the problem, but in general you should be able to make a big improvement.

Takes a large amount of work though.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 20:20:28 »
Just received an old Apple board from eBizzle, I really dig these Salmon Alps. I think I actually prefer them over Blue Alps (which are also awesome). Now hopefully that 60% Alps GB takes off!

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 09:07:19 »
The springs differ between the two, and are weighted so that the overall switch stiffness is about the same. If you just swap the leaves you’ll end up with different switch stiffnesses.

I've been searching the web for this info and it looks like you may know since you've had them apart:  Which of the two (Click and Quiet Click) has the softer springs?  I'm not talking about the overall switch force or the clicky/tactile leaf, but JUST the spring force.

Thanks!

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 08:54:01 »

I've been searching the web for this info and it looks like you may know since you've had them apart:  Which of the two (Click and Quiet Click) has the softer springs?  I'm not talking about the overall switch force or the clicky/tactile leaf, but JUST the spring force.

Thanks!

The Quiet Clicks have the lighter coil springs. I swapped them into my v80MTS-C but I'm thinking maybe they're too light.
...maybe...

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 09:25:30 »
Recently, I've been comparing various vintage Alps switches. My current favorite is the brown Alps switch. I prefer brown Alps over orange or salmon Alps.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 09:31:45 »
Recently, I've been comparing various vintage Alps switches. My current favorite is the brown Alps switch. I prefer brown Alps over orange or salmon Alps.

SKCM Browns have become my favorite tactile Alps switch as well.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 22:01:57 »
Silly Topre fans, and your preference for not-really-tactile switches. :P