Author Topic: Sad sad news for topre owners.  (Read 42669 times)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
Re: Sad sad news for topre owners.
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:06:48 »
I don't know what to do anymore with CM's Topre keyboard coming out i feel scared to order my HHKB

So much uncertainty right now

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:07:53 »
Hopefully this just means that cm will come out with qft-the quick fire topre with mx stems. then I have a reason for buying caps....

You realize those boards will probably be really expensive....have you tried topre?

It'll probally be around f660c price, if CM makes it too expensive, they risk losing customers

Lol :)) Lose what customers? There will always be the cheaper Cherry MX boards as substitutes. You don't see Leopold stealing all of Realforce's and HHKB's customers with their 660C, even though it's cheaper than the others. Also, with the extra features and TKL layout, they can easily charge for more than the 660C, as it'll "justify" the higher price. With the right marketing, this keyboard can easily sell for more than the 660C, maybe even more than HHKB and RF. People who are going to buy these Topre boards are not exactly the same people who are only spending below $100 for their mechanical keyboards.

We can only hope they price this fairly.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:21:21 by VesperSAINT »

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:08:27 »
Well, it's not like they really had a lot of customization options to begin with. Let's just hope Cooler Master produces that MX-compatible Topre keyboard.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:11:45 »
Well, it's not like they really had a lot of customization options to begin with. Let's just hope Cooler Master produces that MX-compatible Topre keyboard.

With a standard (aka QFR) layout please!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:13:48 »
Hopefully this just means that cm will come out with qft-the quick fire topre with mx stems. then I have a reason for buying caps....

You realize those boards will probably be really expensive....have you tried topre?

It'll probally be around f660c price, if CM makes it too expensive, they risk losing customers

If they've got MX compatible stems I think you'll find CM can charge whatever they like and people will still buy them. I wouldn't be surprised if it's closer in price to the HHKB than a FC660C.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Dude

• Thwock!
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:20:02 »
EK just removed the printed orange topre set...

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:22:10 »

Well it was out of stock anyway :P I wouldn't be surprised if they remove all their out of stock Topre caps :(

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:25:23 »
Good I ordered HHKB caps earlier this week :3

Offline Dude

• Thwock!
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:25:37 »
Well it was out of stock anyway :P I wouldn't be surprised if they remove all their out of stock Topre caps :(

It wasn't out of stock last week when I ordered a set  :)  Looks like I got one of the last ones.

Realforce 87U Tenkeyless

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:29:17 »

Yeah I think I got one of the last sets of blanks but they have some still on EK. Mine is pending sale at the moment.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:33:54 »
Do you guys think i should get a poker 2 to use until Coolermaster comes out with their topre board? Just to wait and see what they have to offer?

At least in that sense i would have a chance to try cherry mx.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:34:55 »
Do you guys think i should get a poker 2 to use until Coolermaster comes out with their topre board? Just to wait and see what they have to offer?

Do you plan to get a HHKB Pro 2 and Coolermaster? If yes then get the HHKB Pro 2 and a Poker 2 or Poker X yes! :)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:35:04 »

You don't own any mechs yet?

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:41:13 »

Nope. Not yet. I was planning on getting a HHKB but i was thinking of getting a poker 2 to use until Coolermaster says anything more about their Topre keyboard.

Do you plan to get a HHKB Pro 2 and Coolermaster? If yes then get the HHKB Pro 2 and a Poker 2 or Poker X yes! :)
I'm not sure if i want to get 2 topre keyboards just yet as i don't have quite the amount of cash i would like. If coolermaster's keyboard comes out and it's good i would be getting that instead of a HHKB i'm feeling. But i'm quite uncertain at the moment.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:46:55 »

Nope. Not yet. I was planning on getting a HHKB but i was thinking of getting a poker 2 to use until Coolermaster says anything more about their Topre keyboard.

I'm not sure if i want to get 2 topre keyboards just yet as i don't have quite the amount of cash i would like. If coolermaster's keyboard comes out and it's good i would be getting that instead of a HHKB i'm feeling. But i'm quite uncertain at the moment.

Oh I see so youre undecided on your Topre choice. Well Ive heard good things for Poker 2 so thatd be a great MX until you decide on a Topre, just have to decide on what switch to get. There are testers you can get, or order individual switches too to test them. I like clears, I dont think they come with those though.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:50:00 »

Oh I see so youre undecided on your Topre choice. Well Ive heard good things for Poker 2 so thatd be a great MX until you decide on a Topre, just have to decide on what switch to get. There are testers you can get, or order individual switches too to test them. I like clears, I dont think they come with those though.
Coolermaster has a switch tester with, Green, Reds, Blacks, Blues, Browns, AND Clears.

I think i would enjoy Ergo clears more anyways. I'm quite tired of this 62g-65g Scissor switch laptop keyboard.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:50:37 »
get a cheap cherry board off of ebay and mod it with ergo clears, then wait for cm

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:57:39 »
get a cheap cherry board off of ebay and mod it with ergo clears, then wait for cm
Instead of Ergo clears i'm more swaying towards Cherry mx reds.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 00:58:49 »

Those are very popular, quieter and very fast, made for gaming.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 01:03:15 »

I'm sure they are useable for typing also? As i type the same amount if not more than i game. I'm just thinking i would like the Smoothness of the Cherry mx reds.

Ps. I have thrown out the topic of this thread haven't i
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 December 2013, 01:07:48 by Air tree »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 01:20:52 »

I'm sure they are useable for typing also? As i type the same amount if not more than i game. I'm just thinking i would like the Smoothness of the Cherry mx reds.

Ps. I have thrown out the topic of this thread haven't i
Show Image

As long as you plan to buy topre caps eventually then its ok right haha
Yeah Red is like Black for typing just a bit snappier

Offline SuperiorKarate

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 04:28:34 »
I just bought an HHKB, and even if it ends up that I can't customize it I still can't imagine I'd ever regret the purchase. I love typing on it so much.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 08:59:29 »
I love typing and gaming on light linears cherry switches, I still like topre more for typing but I can't game on them. The slower rebound throws me off.
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline mljs54

• Team Topre
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 12:44:35 »
Does anyone know if Topre made the caps in-house or did they outsource to someone else?  Wondering if they were to outsource the process going forward for stock caps, would that factory not want to secure some rights to make colored caps to sell on their own for some additional profits?
ReΛlforce 87UB EK

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 12 December 2013, 14:34:43 »
I just bought an HHKB, and even if it ends up that I can't customize it I still can't imagine I'd ever regret the purchase. I love typing on it so much.

Yeah I love my HHKB so much I could use the stock PBT forever.

Offline ctbear

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 03:08:57 »
Does this affect the caps for HHKB? Are they made by Topre as well?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 03:40:04 »
I wish I knew too. Is Topre a company of PFU (Fujitsu) who produced HHKB?

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 04:16:01 »
I regret selling my blue printed set now. I wouldn't be sad if the font of stock black set is recognizable. :(
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 05:24:36 »
How many different sets did Topre make? I keep hearing there is a lack of selection for Topre caps so I'm guessing most Topre owners have purchased the few sets that are available thus leading to a decline in Topre cap sales. If they just released different color runs I'm sure the existing Topre set owners would pounce on them and sales would continue. I find it crazy that a keyboard company would cease production of keys. It's madness!!
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline randomist

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 05:33:57 »
perhaps they're changing to MX compatible stems for their keyboards as well as CM and outsourcing the caps?

Offline SuperiorKarate

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 07:00:52 »
How many different sets did Topre make? I keep hearing there is a lack of selection for Topre caps so I'm guessing most Topre owners have purchased the few sets that are available thus leading to a decline in Topre cap sales. If they just released different color runs I'm sure the existing Topre set owners would pounce on them and sales would continue. I find it crazy that a keyboard company would cease production of keys. It's madness!!
I think it's a different situation for Topre, as they are the maker of the switches and, as far as I know, the sole maker of the keycaps. It's as if Cherry were the only company making MX keycaps. In some sense, it's reasonable for Topre themselves to not feel a need to cater to the custom market. I wish there were third party options, maybe in the future.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 07:50:52 »
Hopefully topre moves to a better licensing scheme where it makes the license to produce topre caps more affordable.  That way we can get some sweet ass red alert for topre FINALLY!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 17:27:24 »
Well if this news eventually leads to Topre cap GB's I may have to pick one up.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 17:34:52 »
Well I sold my White blanks but kept the orange blanks. Have to have at least some choice since there will be no replacements :)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 20:51:54 »
Here is some newly shot keyboard porn. It is extra sad when I look at these...

Open the pictures in a new tab to see them at full resolution.

« Last Edit: Wed, 18 December 2013, 22:18:25 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 20:52:56 »
Too good vesper. Too damn good.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 20:55:02 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Beautiful!

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 20:57:05 »
Too good vesper. Too damn good.

You give me too much credit *blush* I just try to keep them in focus, that's about it :)) The color is actually almost dead-on. That's how they look in a common/usual dimly lit room. They may be SLIGHTLY a bit deeper red tho.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Beautiful!

Git yourself some.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 21:29:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Oh man, so much topre goodness.
I really need to get my hands on some 55g. I've fallen in love with topre (again) recently...

BUT WHERE ARE YOUR SIGNATURE LIME GREEN CAPS?
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 18 December 2013, 21:40:09 »
Because you asked:

Yes, there's tape on the spacebar.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 December 2013, 22:15:12 by VesperSAINT »

Offline adhoc

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 01:41:24 »
gorgeous vesper!

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 18:39:12 »

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #92 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 02:20:25 »
While EK still has topre printed white PBT keycaps with legends for sale, how hard would it be to remove the legends? IE sandpaper/sandblasting/chemicals? I've seen it done with ABS but have no idea about PBT, is this even possible without rendering the caps warped or useless?
sell out and eat ass

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 02:22:17 »
While EK still has topre printed white PBT keycaps with legends for sale, how hard would it be to remove the legends? IE sandpaper/sandblasting/chemicals? I've seen it done with ABS but have no idea about PBT, is this even possible without rendering the caps warped or useless?

Its dysub.

It will be near impossible

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 15:48:07 »
Correct, the dye really gets into the cap deep. You're going to have to remove several layers which may ruin the cap.

Offline 1pq

• Hipster Doofus
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 19:05:27 »
Because you asked:

Show Image

Nice :D
I can't see the tape. Did you put it on so that the ABS spacebar doesn't get shiny?
main kbs:  87UB (55g)  Custom Filco TKL (62g clears)

WTS JD40, Custom Ergoclear Filco

WTB ROHS Red BBv2 (Topre), OG EK Tri-Color Skull (TOPRE)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 19:19:48 »
Because you asked:

Show Image

Nice :D
I can't see the tape. Did you put it on so that the ABS spacebar doesn't get shiny?

A lot of people do that.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline LifeIsGooD2

« Reply #97 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 19:39:57 »
I hurried up and ordered a set of yellow printed realforce for my 87u. Anyone have them and think they look good ?

Also about how long does shipping from EliteKeyboards take ? I ordered them yesterday. Any chance I get them by Christmas ?

Offline cruk

• :> keys
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 19:51:26 »
I'm a bit confused when browsing around EK, does the sets that specifically mention RF fit HHKB?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 21:29:01 »
I hurried up and ordered a set of yellow printed realforce for my 87u. Anyone have them and think they look good ?

I don't have them, but I think they look fantastic!