Author Topic: Keycap tightness? Clear vs Tactile Grey  (Read 3337 times)

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
Keycap tightness? Clear vs Tactile Grey
« on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 20:23:27 »
Has anyone tested to see if the tactile greys have the same issue as clears? I've read many posts on here about the clear stems almost always being tighter and harder to get caps off of it and I have ran into this issue myself. In Ripster's picture below it looks like Cherry used the same mold to make the tactile grey stem as they did for the clear stem. They both have the larger tactile bump and on the top part of the stem half way up there are two small horizontal lines(this does not see to be the case for the browns or any of the other stems). I'm assuming it has the same issue but I am just curious to see if any has actually verified this.

Added some arrows to Ripster's picture to point out the small marking I am talking about.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
Re: Keycap tightness? Clear vs Tactile Grey
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 20:28:21 »
same mold different colors

so yes they have the same issue
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tbc

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 21:39:28 »
confirmed

the caps sit higher on the tact grey stems than my mx blues
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 23:10:55 »
Bah! That sucks. I was just trying to find a way to keep the nice bump without the tight fit. Looks like I can just stick with clear stems since I think they look better out of the two.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 04:14:13 »
Yup, confirmed by me, too. I actually never noticed the little bumps until you posted that picture :) It's much easier to see on the Grey stem.

You could try shaving the bumps off with an Exacto knife?

I really love my Clears, but changing caps can be a bit of a PITA, especially those POM caps from Banggood. They really stick.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 08:50:08 »
Shaving them off is a bit too much work for me haha. I'll just deal with the tightness. I don't know if that is what is causing the caps to fit on tight or if the entire top part of the stem is thicker.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 08:52:04 »
as long as you don't use DSA you shouldn't have any issues
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline TBone

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:49:59 »
as long as you don't use DSA you shouldn't have any issues

Just through my DSA PBT Granite set on my KUL ES-87 with clears and everything is good, very tight but good. They come off okay...though it's like scratching a chalk board.

Offline aicrono

• A Touching Experience
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 11:04:04 »
I also have the Granite set on my Rosewill that I swapped clears on to. It's not too bad if you kinda slowly wiggle them off but like TBone said they are noticeably tighter for sure.