Author Topic: New keyboard with Modern Selectric, backspace seems stiff, posts seem off. Fix?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline AgentZen

Been a few years since I messed with keyboards and wanted to spend a bit of money so I picked up a KUL ES 87 w/ clears and the Modern Selectric (SA) keycap set. Keyboard is brand new, and keycaps were sold as being never used.

Anyway, just installed the keys today and everything seems great except for the backspace key. The backspace seems stiffer to press than any other key, almost as if there is a bit of friction when pressing - not a lot- but enough to be noticeable. Looking at the posts on the bottom of the key, it looks like the outside posts are just a bit further out on the key than they are on the keyboard. I'm guessing that would be the problem. Is it? Is there a fix for this, or will it "wear in" at some point? Is it common?

Thanks

Side note for anyone familiar with SA sets: Are the arrow keys interchangeable? They seem to all be the same shape.
KUL ES-87 w/ Clears (GMK Hyperfuse) | Working on: Custom 60% w/ 65g feelios (BSP blanks)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Most likely the stabilizer, take the keycap off and pull the little black stab inserts up and down, do they bind at all?

Offline AgentZen

I guess the stabalizers aren't springed? I had to use my keycap puller to pinch them and move them up and down, but there doesn't appear to be much friction, and definitely no binding.
KUL ES-87 w/ Clears (GMK Hyperfuse) | Working on: Custom 60% w/ 65g feelios (BSP blanks)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
I guess the stabalizers aren't springed? I had to use my keycap puller to pinch them and move them up and down, but there doesn't appear to be much friction, and definitely no binding.

Do you have another backspace cap to try maybe? If it's a brand new board, then you're probably right, could be something with the keycap..

Offline AgentZen

Yeah the stock backspace works fine. Comparing the posts on the two, they looks damn close to my naked eye, but there may be a very slight difference in one of the outside posts. I wonder if that is a possible problem with keys? I guess anything can happen. It's slight enough that I may just try to see if it works it's self in a bit.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
I wonder if the stem on the bottom of the cap is too thick, possibly binding with the switch cover or something. That would be easy to fix..

Offline AgentZen

Good tip, ill take a look.