Author Topic: Best micro controller not using usb micro?  (Read 3141 times)

Offline ResonantPixel

Best micro controller not using usb micro?
« on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 08:08:37 »
Does anyone know the best micro-controller (for a keyboard), that does not use micro-usb type b, (mini-usb is best(I assume the) I thought maybe a teensy or ATmega328 Arduino Pro Mini I cant find anything on the port they use, I think most ardiunos use mini though : L, also I need two so if I can get the cheap copies of amazon uk that be great :P thanks!
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 February 2016, 12:42:46 by suicidal_orange »

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
Re: Best micro controller not using usb micro?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 08:17:59 »
The most common micro controller used for keyboards is the atmega32u4, that can be found on the Teensy 2.0.
There are cheeper versions out there, but as far as I know they all use micro USB connectors and not mini USB

Offline jd29

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 08:31:21 »
The Adafruit Trinket has a mini USB port. Edit: The Arduino Nano has Mini USB and plenty of pins. It doesn't have USB hardware, but you can emulate USB 1.1 (fast enough for a keyboard) using V-USB. As far as I know this will not be compatible with all the keyboard libraries out there, but this should help you.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 February 2016, 08:44:29 by jd29 »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
Re: B
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 February 2016, 08:42:54 »
Why do you need the mini-USB so badly?

You could always use something like this and cut up a cheap micro USB cable to effectively give you a mini USB connection to a micro USB board.

E: There's probably plenty of premade adaptors out on ebay in the same price range, too.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 02:04:20 »
Why do you need the mini-USB so badly?

You could always use something like this and cut up a cheap micro USB cable to effectively give you a mini USB connection to a micro USB board.

E: There's probably plenty of premade adaptors out on ebay in the same price range, too.

I agree. Having a separate board or adapter for the usb jack to the harsh outside world is very much recommended. Easy to replace if damaged, and it keeps your controller intact. I sometimes use small adapters of the kind that has no wire inbetween connectors but both connectors in the same housing. I just cut away unwanted plastic to make it sit well in my build. I have also made my own jack plates from etched pcb and female mini usb vertical mount pcb connectors.

126949-0 126951-1 126953-2

Offline yangdigi

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 03:31:30 »
For 60% or less Keyboard, Arduino Pro Micro is a good choice as it is very cheap with atmega32u4 controller.
And by using Pro Micro with 74hc138 or 74hc238,  Keyboard that has more keys can also be done.

Offline thatllbeme

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 07:12:48 »
If you want a mini-USB port you should get a Teensy++ or clone (look for the 'at90usb1287' processor), but they're more expensive (£20/ea on Ebay) and harder to find cheap clones of. Micro->mini USB converter might be a better idea cost-wise.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 09:08:56 »
If you want a mini-USB port you should get a Teensy++ or clone (look for the 'at90usb1287' processor), but they're more expensive (£20/ea on Ebay) and harder to find cheap clones of. Micro->mini USB converter might be a better idea cost-wise.

The regular Teensy 2.0 also has mini-USB. Cost much less than the Teensy++ 2.0.

Offline ResonantPixel

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 09:37:57 »
Thanks all, sorry this was a little of a poor-post I was rather knackered when writing it, and I screwed my point a little sorry :P

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 12:47:45 »
Title fixed, and to answer the question -

Teensy 2.0 is mini
Teensy 2.0++ is mini
Arduino Micro (official) is micro
"Arduino" Pro Micro (cheap clone) is usually micro, but there may be a version with mini if you look hard enough.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 February 2016, 17:45:25 »
I want analog. What about mini jack as an kb interface?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g