Author Topic: Bought a Filco  (Read 11881 times)

Offline IBI

Bought a Filco
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 01 April 2008, 16:27:08 »
Quote from: zerogravitas;3835
Are your blue LED's  blinding as well?  That's my only beef with it so far.  Thankfully they are recessed, so It's not a problem unless I hold my head directly over the light.  They do light up my ceiling though when the room is dark though.  lol

My Raptor-Gaming K1 has exactly the same thing. I thought about putting some tape on the underside of the led windows but they're recessed inside cylinders.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 01 April 2008, 21:39:31 »
What kind of switches does your Raptor have?

Offline IBI

Bought a Filco
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 02 April 2008, 07:30:49 »
Black cherries, I'll post some pictures when I get time in a few days.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Bought a Filco
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 02 April 2008, 09:18:19 »
Do you like them? I like them a lot more now after I've had some time on the browns.

Offline IBI

Bought a Filco
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 02 April 2008, 14:29:34 »
They feel like top-quality rubber dome switches. Not as nice as a proper tactile but they wouldn't annoy you to type on them for several hours.

It has made me realise how important keycaps are to the keyboard though. When I originally got it on friday I didn't like it and after the weekend using it I was considering whether to return it on monday. I have a gateway with what look like the same keycaps so while I had it I thought I'd see if they fit onto cherry switches. They did, and trying the replaced key it felt slightly better so I swapped over all the alpha keys and it has made the keyboard noticably nicer to type on.

The keycaps from the two keyboards are actually very similar, one is white and the other is black so it's hard to know which perceived differences are real but there's not much between them to look at. The gateway has a slightly less hollow sound, slightly rougher surface, slightly more curve and may be slightly wider.

It'll be interesting to hear if anyone's got a non-filco with brown cherries and how they rate it. Although these black cherries are great for everyday I may have to give into weakness and get a complete AT102W or a brown cherry board for heavy typing. (Filco and HHKB are not in it for me unfortunatly, neither has a UK layout availible).