Author Topic: Introducing the KS Mini  (Read 31578 times)

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
Re: Introducing the KS Mini
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 00:54:19 »
Some people are more comfortable with through hole soldering. Is there any way to move the SMD stuff to a sub-board (or better yet, have the SMD stuff done at the factory, and the through-hole by DIYers and small-enterprisers on the forum?

Either way, I'd be in for one, depending on the price. I've always wanted a smaller 'board, and this looks excellent!
im interested an agree with this you should have the smd done by the factory if possible and id be willing to build kits for people that want the board but dont want to solder.

Also this layout looks very close to one that i designed for WASD and also posted in the GH60 keyboard thread.

I flipped one of the 1.25x onto the other side to make the bottom row look a bit more balanced on both sides.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Re: Re: Introducing the KS Mini
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 01:15:31 »
Also this layout looks very close to one that i designed for WASD and also posted in the GH60 keyboard thread.

your layout, TheProfosist, if probably my ideal keyboard layout :) I'd probably put FN instead of Menu, though

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 11:16:15 »
I'm in for one but only if the smd soldering is pre-done.  Through hole is easy sauce that I can do no problem.  Smd...not so much.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 11:30:05 »
Hard to find a R1 'end' key, though.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 14:33:41 »
Some people are more comfortable with through hole soldering. Is there any way to move the SMD stuff to a sub-board (or better yet, have the SMD stuff done at the factory, and the through-hole by DIYers and small-enterprisers on the forum?

Either way, I'd be in for one, depending on the price. I've always wanted a smaller 'board, and this looks excellent!
im interested an agree with this you should have the smd done by the factory if possible and id be willing to build kits for people that want the board but dont want to solder.

I flipped one of the 1.25x onto the other side to make the bottom row look a bit more balanced on both sides.
Would you be able to design the PCB so that my layout is supported? If not its not much different so no big deal. The spacebar is still standard right?

your layout, TheProfosist, if probably my ideal keyboard layout :) I'd probably put FN instead of Menu, though

the only key its missing is pause/break and the reason why there is no Fn layer is because i had originally designed it for WASD and he was trying to stay away from that.

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 14:04:35 »
Do you have a rough idea of what it would cost for PCB (with LED, diodes and SMD), plate and controller? eg. everything except case, switches and keycaps.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 04 September 2012, 22:16:53 »
Do you have a rough idea of what it would cost for PCB (with LED, diodes and SMD), plate and controller? eg. everything except case, switches and keycaps.
Asked the same thing a bit ago, it isnt known because everything has been order singularly up until now. But price is assumed to be some where around the Phantom.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 16:34:59 »
How is the progress coming on this?

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 17:13:52 »
We're still coming up with a key set that is only for this keyboard.  We thought it would not be fair to put the CCnB on it since we are going to do it anyway.  We'll put something more limited as a key set for this keyboard.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 17:19:24 »
Could you  possibly post a blank winkey layout of the keyboard so that I can work on my own layout?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 18:46:08 »
Thanks Hazeluff send me a blank layout.

Here it is for anyone who wants to fool around with coming up with their on layout or layers:

« Last Edit: Fri, 14 September 2012, 00:07:02 by TheProfosist »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 00:57:28 »
are there any softwares to design this kind of layouts (with color and legend)? If not, why don't we make one :)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 01:01:36 »
are there any softwares to design this kind of layouts (with color and legend)? If not, why don't we make one :)
no i dont think there is specific software or atleast i dont know of any i have just been using photoshop to add legends. It gets the job done for just demonstrating a layout.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 08:43:48 »
no i dont think there is specific software or atleast i dont know of any i have just been using photoshop to add legends. It gets the job done for just demonstrating a layout.

GIMP is also quite good for this kind of thing, if you're for tux!

Cheers,
IBM Model M 1390120, Otaku Unicomp+RGB, CM QFR Green, Ducky YOTD Red, SSK MKII,
ErgoDox Blue, ErgoDox White

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 09:02:43 »
yeah, photoshop or gimp or even inkscape might all work. I was thinking about something more automated everyone could enjoy. I might invest some time in a software like that (maybe even browser based), but maybe it's something too technical to have a decent audience.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 09:15:54 »
yeah, photoshop or gimp or even inkscape might all work. I was thinking about something more automated everyone could enjoy. I might invest some time in a software like that (maybe even browser based), but maybe it's something too technical to have a decent audience.

I think it'd be challenging but also would be really cool. I say go for it!

Cheers,

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 00:08:29 »

Could always write a program to produce SVG. Since the file is technically are just a text files.

Actually you can do it as actual images too.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 September 2012, 06:38:18 by hazeluff »

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 06:38:25 »
Anyway here are some images. I got the screws to hold the whole thing together. Looks slick.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 07:07:23 »
neat!

wouldn't be nice to do it with inset screws?

Offline 1stGenRex

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 15 September 2012, 09:11:37 »
still nobody wants to make a project like this but with wireless keyboard  >:D
IMHO: Wireless = batteries = a pain in the ass.

UNLESS someone was to design a wireless keyboard with an internal, rechargeable battery that can be plugged into and charged via USB.  Does such a keyboard even exist?

Sanyo Eneloops work well in keyboards. I ran them in my MX5500. Rechargeable batteries are less of a PITA if they last for months of daily use, and you don't have to keep buying them.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 01:17:06 »

UNLESS someone was to design a wireless keyboard with an internal, rechargeable battery that can be plugged into and charged via USB.  Does such a keyboard even exist?

Sanyo Eneloops work well in keyboards. I ran them in my MX5500. Rechargeable batteries are less of a PITA if they last for months of daily use, and you don't have to keep buying them.

The problem is partially replacing batteries, but also the fact that at any moment in a game the battery could run out. The number of times its happened to me playing WoW back in the day is uncountable.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 01:20:44 »

The problem is partially replacing batteries, but also the fact that at any moment in a game the battery could run out. The number of times its happened to me playing WoW back in the day is uncountable.
when the device tells you the battey is low, change it or charge it. Theres really no reason to have it die on you

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 02:09:35 »
Have a circuit that tells you when the system (battery) voltage drops below a certain level. Having an LED turn on when this occurs is simple, and only requires a few extra parts. You could even have a buzzer inside chirp at you to make sure you notice.

If this were wireless, I'm pretty sure I'd not use that feature, though I'm sure it'd be nice to have for some. The best way to make sure your batteries don't run out is to use wired power during any critical task (like WoW raids, etc.) or to have such superhuge batteries that it's no issue. I really want to measure my model F-122 internals to see if D batteries will fit in there. Having a portable, wireless, behemoth is so awesome, it must be made.

Offline sordna

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 02:22:24 »
I think it's considered a 75% board if it has the function row and cursor arrow/navigation keys, e.g. Race, Choc Mini. The 60% boards lack those dedicated keys, e.g. Poker, Pure, HHKB.

So this should be considered a 75%

I wish we start seeing 65% keyboards (68-70 keys) ie with dedicated arrow keys but WITHOUT a dedicated function key row. Any hope in that direction?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Appeac

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 02:49:39 »
I'm very interested in this depending on price, and as long as SMT is handled already. :P
FC660C
122 Terminal M w/ Soarer board

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 16 September 2012, 17:03:47 »
I think it's considered a 75% board if it has the function row and cursor arrow/navigation keys, e.g. Race, Choc Mini. The 60% boards lack those dedicated keys, e.g. Poker, Pure, HHKB.

I wish we start seeing 65% keyboards (68-70 keys) ie with dedicated arrow keys but WITHOUT a dedicated function key row. Any hope in that direction?
I would probably say no to that because the few extra keys you get on the function row allow you to fit a TKL layout into a smaller form factor and still have all of the keys. Example my layout I made for WASD that I plan to use on my KS Mini until layers are supported.

« Last Edit: Sun, 16 September 2012, 17:13:25 by TheProfosist »

Offline TDub

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 17:10:54 »
Definitly interessted!

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 16:48:02 »

I would probably say no to that because the few extra keys you get on the function row allow you to fit a TKL layout into a smaller form factor and still have all of the keys. Example my layout I made for WASD that I plan to use on my KS Mini until layers are supported.
<Image removed>

I've Tested layers on my firmware. Not sure if it's the best implementation, but it does work.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 02:09:55 »

<Image removed>

I've Tested layers on my firmware. Not sure if it's the best implementation, but it does work.
i might re think my layout to be more like my phantom then idk because i did make a rather nice standard layout though.

Offline OrangeJewce

• ssk.ℜ
  • King of the Jewce
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 09:47:37 »

I think the closes we've gotten is ErgoDox-ish (76 keys). So it definitely can be done, however it does require layers on the firmware level.

Cheers,

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 00:29:25 »
Hows is this project coming along any update is better than nothing.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 10:43:55 »

Just settled into new home and I'm starting to settle into my new job. I am currently looking to finish off the case and things should get rolling again after that.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 11:06:24 »

Just settled into new home and I'm starting to settle into my new job. I am currently looking to finish off the case and things should get rolling again after that.
sounds great!

Offline theultrazord

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 13:57:53 »
I'm so excited about this that I'm refusing to buy any new KBs until this comes out. Any idea about time frame? Also since you have prototypes already you might want to try kickstarter.com where people love to spend money on DIY type products.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 14:58:38 »
Interested in this. Does this also use the teensy controller for easy reprogramming? If not, what controller is it using?

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 05 October 2012, 18:10:34 »
Would it fit in the LZ mini case?

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 00:25:21 »

I'm so excited about this that I'm refusing to buy any new KBs until this comes out. Any idea about time frame? Also since you have prototypes already you might want to try kickstarter.com where people love to spend money on DIY type products.

Thank you for your support. The time frame would be months. I've got a couple design changes in mind and I can't push to get it down as fast as I would like.

Money isn't the real problem, so we won't be using kickstarter.

Interested in this. Does this also use the teensy controller for easy reprogramming? If not, what controller is it using?

It uses the same micro-controller as the teensy and at the moment is using a ported version of the Phantom firmware. The only difference will be how you load it onto the keyboard. I'll see if I can write some simple package to load the firmware instead of going through the commands/tools of programming the atmel chip.

The chip is: atmega32u4

Would it fit in the LZ mini case?

Probably not.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 October 2012, 00:27:12 by hazeluff »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 00:47:25 »
Was told to post here by sherriton wether im for winkey or winkeyless:

I want my winkey as its very helpful in win 7 and will be even more so in 8.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 07:59:00 »
Was told to post here by sherriton wether im for winkey or winkeyless:

I want my winkey as its very helpful in win 7 and will be even more so in 8.

Indeed. People should start using their window key, specially those with 7.

-Resize windows
-Launch apps
-Show desktop
-Its awesome

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 08:06:43 »
Great for people at work that leave their desk:  Win-L (Lock screen)

And I map the Win-key to other combos in Windows:  minimize active window, media/volume control,

And in Linux I map it to window management stuff:  win-mouse drag is move window, win-# or arrows is virt desktop switching, ctrl-win-# or arrow is move window to a virt desktop,

and the list goes on!

All that said, awesome keyboard, now a form factor I'm interested in so don't take this as a vote... good luck!
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 08:24:58 »
I'm definitely pro winkey (1 on the left), or better let's call it "super" :) On linux it's pretty handy.

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 08:31:36 »
Yes, I'm getting pretty accustomed to this Unity thing by now. Super+W, Super+Number, and so on..

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 06 October 2012, 16:08:54 »
It uses the same micro-controller as the teensy and at the moment is using a ported version of the Phantom firmware. The only difference will be how you load it onto the keyboard. I'll see if I can write some simple package to load the firmware instead of going through the commands/tools of programming the atmel chip.

So meaning it uses the atmega32u4 chip (same as phantom), but will be soldered directly on the keyboard's PCB instead of having a separate daughterboard like in phantom or Filco? If this is the case, does that mean that all other SMD components (including the mini-USB port) will be soldered directly on the PCB from the factory? I'm very interested to see how the end product turns out.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 01:44:32 »

So meaning it uses the atmega32u4 chip (same as phantom), but will be soldered directly on the keyboard's PCB instead of having a separate daughterboard like in phantom or Filco? If this is the case, does that mean that all other SMD components (including the mini-USB port) will be soldered directly on the PCB from the factory? I'm very interested to see how the end product turns out.

I'll have it arranged that you have the choice of doing the SMD or not.

And yes, the MCU is soldered right onto the PCB instead of having a teensy attached or having a daughterboard.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 08 October 2012, 20:54:00 »
I'm definitely pro winkey (1 on the left), or better let's call it "super" :) On linux it's pretty handy.
I agree. I use super more in linux than windows. It's also pretty easy to make up more with openbox.

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 05:39:32 »
As much as I would love to use 1.5 mods, I simply can't live without a left sided winkey. So my vote goes toward a winkey setup.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 15 October 2012, 07:19:27 »
You can use 1.5 mods and still have a winkey.  (eg. The Cheat)

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 18:11:01 »
But The Cheat is a TKL, and this is a 75% (IIRC) So it wouldn't be possible to have both winkey and 1.5 mods.
I guess you could just map a winkey to one of the keys furthest to the right, but I like it on the left (easier to use with win+E etc.)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 19:13:56 »
But The Cheat is a TKL, and this is a 75% (IIRC) So it wouldn't be possible to have both winkey and 1.5 mods.
I guess you could just map a winkey to one of the keys furthest to the right, but I like it on the left (easier to use with win+E etc.)
that reminds me as i hadnt heard of that shorcut before is there a list of all those win+ shorcuts somwhere? i mean there were a bunch of just shortcuts in general that were added in win7 that were never really publicized and should have been

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 16 October 2012, 19:20:40 »
I want one, but I'm impatient.