Author Topic: Why do people prefer Brown over Red?  (Read 9576 times)

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
Why do people prefer Brown over Red?
« on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 02:28:56 »
This has been plaguing me for quite some time now, I've been a heavy user of Reds for the past 2 years now almost and I've got a Brown board but every time I try and use it, no matter what, I will always find myself going back to the Red board within a few hours.

So are there any users out there that have made the switch from Red to Brown and if so, what made you switch and what made you stay at that switch?
你搞砸了

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
Re: Why do people prefer Brown over Red?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 03:18:39 »
I don't like that Reds are so linear. I press the key and it just slides down and if I bottom out it just goes *thunk*. Browns are just tactile enough that I feel like I'm getting more feedback, but I know some people think they just feel like dirty Reds. Honestly, to each their own, it's like asking someone why they like salty foods over sweet foods, you're going to get a mixed response.
;)

Offline tbc

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 03:20:28 »
browns suck

reds are even worse

bs and blues ftw

*puts on flame retardant suit*

in before topre

but really, personal preference really can't be explained.  anyone claiming to know is a dirty liar.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 03:21:35 »
I make less mistakes with Browns. The small amount of tactility makes a big difference to me.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 03:25:50 »
browns suck

reds are even worse

bs and blues ftw

*puts on flame retardant suit*

in before topre

but really, personal preference really can't be explained.  anyone claiming to know is a dirty liar.

I want to like Blues so much but I grew to hate the click, I feel like a disgrace.
;)

Offline tbc

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 03:28:15 »
personal stance:  the reds are a LACK of something.  i pay money, i want to feel something.

but blues aren't the best; BS are.  it's just that the BS cases and caps themselves really suck in terms of customization.

the browns are absolutely inferior to topre by a significant amount in every measure of the switch except cost.   browns are the pffice worker switch; topre is the office worker switch that doesn't suck.

once again, all IMO.  my money, my preferences.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 February 2014, 03:30:31 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 03:30:34 »
MX Red = Godswitch, that's why you keep going back to it.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline chickenNwaffles

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 03:58:27 »
As a brown user, reds feel way to bland and boring. The lack of tactile feedback on reds just makes them feel as if something is missing, browns are just perfect :D

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 04:44:58 »
I liked Browns til I started using Topre. I'm a fan of a smooth switch with a satisfying bottoming out now. 55g stickered PCB mounted reds/blacks all the way!

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline tups

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 04:55:21 »
It seems to me that browns, clears and blues are the only MXes where you can feel the press before bottoming out. But blues seem to be the worst compromise in profile to me: there's hardly any force left in the spring to prevent bottoming out after the actuation point, and on return the switches stop below the actuation point until nearly all force is removed (I've had quite a few repeated characters due to "forgetting" to remove my finger from a key).

Reds vs browns: I've not tried typing on either, but can I ask: can you actually type accurately without bottoming out?

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 05:22:05 »
It seems to me that browns, clears and blues are the only MXes where you can feel the press before bottoming out. But blues seem to be the worst compromise in profile to me: there's hardly any force left in the spring to prevent bottoming out after the actuation point, and on return the switches stop below the actuation point until nearly all force is removed (I've had quite a few repeated characters due to "forgetting" to remove my finger from a key).

Reds vs browns: I've not tried typing on either, but can I ask: can you actually type accurately without bottoming out?

You're forgetting tactile grey, whites and greens. :) Yes, you can type accurately without bottoming out on reds. (I just did.) I seldom type on reds without bottoming out though, I like the sound it makes and I type a lot faster that way. 122 wpm max on typeracer while bottoming out on reds, around 60-70 when I never bottom out. I'm sure there are some extremely light typists which can get high wpm without bottoming out with reds. ^^

In my opinion and experience the force left in the mx blue switch after the click is heavy enough to keep me from bottoming out If I really didn't want to, but I bottom out by will regardless.

« Last Edit: Sun, 23 February 2014, 05:29:52 by epzy »
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline tups

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 05:43:31 »
You're forgetting tactile grey, whites and greens. :) Yes, you can type accurately without bottoming out on reds. (I just did.) I seldom type on reds without bottoming out though, I like the sound it makes and I type a lot faster that way. 122 wpm max on typeracer while bottoming out on reds, around 60-70 when I never bottom out. I'm sure there are some extremely light typists which can get high wpm without bottoming out with reds. ^^

Interesting, shows my inexperience (the only mechanical keys I've actually typed on are blues). Do you prefer reds or browns? The browns feel more scratchy, but if I press the two switches fast I don't feel so much difference.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 06:13:11 »
I prefer reds over browns. Reds are my go-to linear switches and blues are my go-to tactile switches. :)

Offline Norz

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 07:16:48 »
I don't think browns are more popular. Is there some kind of poll with a lot of votes to have a rough idea, somewhere ?

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 07:23:17 »
I don't think browns are more popular. Is there some kind of poll with a lot of votes to have a rough idea, somewhere ?

Here's one from 2 months ago on /r/mechanicalkeyboards, feel free to take the results as you will.

http://imgur.com/a/dFiBW
;)

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 07:24:59 »
I don't know but on /r/mechanicalkeyboards I mostly see browns floating around. Seems like it's a popular switch for people getting their first mechanical keyboard at least. Probably because browns gets called the 'middleground' between blue and red a lot.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 07:29:27 »
I don't know but on /r/mechanicalkeyboards I mostly see browns floating around. Seems like it's a popular switch for people getting their first mechanical keyboard at least. Probably because browns gets called the 'middleground' between blue and red a lot.

Yeah, I posted their survey but it might be slightly skewed, because what you see on there a lot is "I only have 1 board so my favorite is whatever switch is on that board". I know I thought Blues were the **** until I tried other switches.
;)

Offline tups

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 08:06:44 »
Yeah, I ordered an ErgoDox in a hurry before the GB ended, and only got blues because browns weren't an option. Not a fan of blues now, but never mind. Just ordered TECK with reds, so lets see  :D

Offline Norz

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 08:23:20 »

Here's one from 2 months ago on /r/mechanicalkeyboards, feel free to take the results as you will.

Interesting.

Didn't know blues were so popular

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 08:29:33 »
(It’s an internet poll, so utterly unreliable, but..) 50% of the poll respondents there claim to be under 20 years old. Explains a lot.

Offline Norz

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 08:36:04 »
(It’s an internet poll, so utterly unreliable, but..) 50% of the poll respondents there claim to be under 20 years old. Explains a lot.

And the fact - like mentioned above - that most users didn't get to use different switches yet. And since brown is what you get by default on most "cheap" keyboards...

Well, over here anyway.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 08:42:00 »

And the fact - like mentioned above - that most users didn't get to use different switches yet. And since brown is what you get by default on most "cheap" keyboards...

Well, over here anyway.

Is it really? I always felt like I saw cheap Blues way more often then other switches. Where are you located?
;)

Offline mauri

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 08:55:25 »

Well, over here anyway.

Is it really? I always felt like I saw cheap Blues way more often then other switches. Where are you located?

I reckon it's less about the location, and more about the timing. Red, brown, black and blue have all had their time on the throne of the most popular/common switch.
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline Norz

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 09:03:41 »

Well, over here anyway.

Switzerland

CMStorm brown is the "go to" mechanical keyboard in not-too-specialized shops here

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 09:30:04 »
I prefer Reds over Browns.

Offline paco

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 11:34:21 »
I very recently bought a Poker II with Reds. I wanted Browns but read so many people saying Browns were simply "dirty reds" that it convinced me to go Reds.

The Poker II needed to depress the Fn key to access the other layer, I figured I should go for the less fatiguing switch because I would have to depress that key often.

I regret going for the Reds. The lack of tactility is really boring. To me, I have more fun typing on Browns than on Reds. Hell, I had way more fun typing on Greens, but they make too much noise!!

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 11:39:52 »
It's kind of simple. People are used to some kind of tactile feel when switching over from membrane/scissor switch keyboards. MX Brown has that familiarity of tactile feel, while MX Red does not.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 11:55:33 »
A lot of interesting points in all fairness, I mean I type at about 115wpm at max and what not and I love the feel of reds but recently I've noticed that I'nm making a lot more mistakes than I previously used too and I'm not entirely sure why that is.

I was tempted to actually use my Keycool with the browns over the reds (noppoo choc mini) and just switch over all of the keycaps that I'll be able too and try and stick with browns for a week, see how it goes and see how it fairs compares to reds, I mean I guess a week long trial may prove exactly what I need.

I just need to give browns a chance perhaps.
你搞砸了

Offline robertsig

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 12:14:43 »
Everybody is different.  Reds are my least favorite.  Too light, no feedback, bottom out with a crunch every time.  Because of their lightness, they feel cheap to me.  I know they aren't any 'cheaper' than any other Cherry switch, but it feels like that.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 13:04:54 »
The problem with browns is that plate-mounted, unlubed new switches feel very brown, **** that is. No cloud of boobs... and who doesn't like boobs?

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 13:11:12 »

What you're talking about is exactly why I hate blues and love greens
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 15:08:14 »
Personal preference plays a huge part.
If you like linear switches then you go red and black.
If you like tactile switches then blue, brown, green etc is for you.
People who prefer browns over reds probably enjoy that tactile feel over the linear feel.

I think that it takes more than a few hours to acclimate into another switch, sometimes.
The best way to do it is to switch keyboards after a day or two when you haven't been near the computer (right after you travel for example). Especially for typing, because of muscle memory.

From a baseline perspective, I would also say that you generally should only take into account the preferences of people who have an WPM around what you have (you said 115)
It doesn't really help if somebody who isn't in or near your WPM tells you what they prefer because your baseline of comparison isn't the same.
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 February 2014, 15:12:45 by the1onewolf »

Offline Norz

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 15:21:06 »
I think that it takes more than a few hours to acclimate into another switch, sometimes.

More like a few days imo..

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 23 February 2014, 23:39:53 »
I make less mistakes with Browns. The small amount of tactility makes a big difference to me.

Basically this, though I do like both Brown and Red.  I feel like I prefer Red a bit better for gaming and Brown a bit better for typing.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Tony

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 00:24:30 »
Tactile bump makes touch typing very easy and accurate. With red (no bump) I touch-type a bit faster, but make more errors, so the overall speed with red is slower than with brown.

If you hunt and peck, go with red since you will bottom out anyway. You will get the booby typing feel that reds are so famous for.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 February 2014, 00:26:59 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline reziak

• Topre/60% Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 00:41:07 »
It's funny how preferences form. Initially, my favorite switches were Browns because I liked the tactility, the fact it was quieter than a blue switch, and that the actuation and release points were the same so I could float the key.

After typing on Topre for a while, my tastes have changed! My favorite switch is now Topre, followed by Reds and Greens. Most would consider them to have nothing in common with one another, haha. Topre is my go to switch for a daily driver. Lubed/stickered/PCB-mounted Reds feel AMAZING and are my favorite MX switch now - After typing on Topre I've really come to love a smooth keypress and a satisfying, soft bottoming out. Finally, I like plate-mounted Greens when I want that typewritery, crunchy, satisfying typing experience. I don't care much for blues - the click feels cheap to me, and I didn't like the difference between the actuation and release points. The Greens solved those problems for me, and the extra weight brings even most satisfaction to each key press.

Anyway, to each their own!

HHKB Pro 2 | FC660C | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S

Offline histevenhere

• Student
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 23:34:22 »
Playing games, I enjoy reds the most. Typing up papers, I enjoy feedback from bs, brown, blue, and esp topre.
HHKB PRO 2, DAS ULTIMATE, SIIG MINITOUCH, KBT PURE, IBM MODEL M, MICROSOFT COMFORT CURVE 2000, CHERRY G84-4100, TG3-TP, QUICKFIRE RAPID, REALFORCE 87u

Offline thesentinel

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 25 February 2014, 23:53:14 »
My mx red feels scratchy, which is a bit disapointing. I feel like topres would be like mx reds but 2x better.
Keyboards are the only thing keeping me from consuming human flesh.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 00:17:35 »
My mx red feels scratchy, which is a bit disapointing. I feel like topres would be like mx reds but 2x better.

More like 3x!
HAHA!
*dramatic pause*

No but seriously, if you think MX red feels scratchy then you'll definitely love Topre!

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 00:22:15 »

More like 3x!
HAHA!
*dramatic pause*

No but seriously, if you think MX red feels scratchy then you'll definitely love Topre!

My Browns didn't feel scratchy until after I got Topre :P
;)

Offline morpheus

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 01:34:54 »
Another Brown lover here.

I can't type on Reds because I'm not as accurate with them, thus making me inhibited.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 01:39:22 »

Your sig scares me.

Offline Lengradde

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 03:52:26 »
Topre gave me finger pain, heck even browns gave me finger pain.  Reds reduced my accuracy due to lack of tactility, but were easier on my fingers.

Properly lubed browns with the lightest springs I could find are what I finally fell in love with.  I type at 80-100wpm depending on how much caffeine is in me.

Offline czito

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 13:43:02 »
I prefer browns over reds because of bump. Didn't like reds are so soft. It's too easy to misspell.
Logitech G710+

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 13:48:02 »
i personally dislike Browns
Reds are my go to MX switch
i prefer them to others mainly because how easy it is to depress.

i'm starting to get symptoms of carpal tunnel so anything that's hard to actuate starts to hurt my wrists and hands lol.

I just never liked browns, if I want tactile switch i'd just use Blues.

Offline Rena

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 13:54:27 »
A lot of people seem to not like browns at all and even the reds are more popular, but personally I prefer browns to red. I just can't stand having no bump to indicate actuation and while the bump in a brown switch is very minimal in comparison to something like clears it's still enough to identify while touch typing.

Furthermore, browns to me are the most comfortable tactile  cherry MX switch to bottom out on. It's almost impossible to bottom out with clears when typing at a normal speed.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 14:00:07 »
Browns and Reds suck.

Blues, Clears, and BS is where it's at...

HOWEVER... given the choice between Browns and Reds, I'd choose Browns. They're the lesser of the two evils...
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 February 2014, 14:02:56 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 14:43:41 »
Browns and Reds suck.

Blues, Clears, and BS is where it's at...

HOWEVER... given the choice between Browns and Reds, I'd choose Browns. They're the lesser of the two evils...

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 16:44:51 »
because people are dumb.

who picks crap over poop?

buy topre, be happy.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline QuadGMoto

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 26 February 2014, 21:21:56 »
buy topre, be happy.

Can Topre switches be purchased individually? I certainly haven't found a source in my own searching. That's enough reason to make them unavailable to people like me who have sworn off flat straight keyboards for regular use to protect our health. Stupid has nothing to do with it. Not being made of money plays a role too.

BTW, I'm also describe the browns as "dirty reds". My primary use for a keyboard is typing. That means tactile response is critical. But to me, the brown's tactile bump isn't obvious enough to actually identify it while typing. So IMHO, "dirty red" isn't praise for reds but condemnation for browns. YMMV

I'm now typing on blues, and when AcidFire's beautiful design becomes available, I'll be using ergo-clears. (And Topre's aren't even an option for the reason already stated.)