geekhack Community > Input Devices

Cheapest place to find monitors?

(1/5) > >>

Sintpinty:
I need a good monitor that will last me a long time, preferrably 2

Would it be possible to find some good monitors from the thrift store?

tp4tissue:
What's the total budget for 1 monitor,   and for 2 monitors

Sitting at your computer desk, hands on the keyboard, what is the distance between eyes and wall,  if you're not facing the wall, take the distance between eyes and the end of the table (forward).

Leslieann:
In my experience, you rarely if ever find actual deals on monitors.
People use them until they're dead and monitor prices, companies being liquidated sell them cheap but but the liquidators expect to get paid and the slow moving pace of monitor tech means there's no significant depreciation and they can get good money on them.

I've seen liquidators selling them at 80-90% retail, at which point, spend the money and get new. Buying used like that makes sense if you need 300 of them, have an IT department and know you have the power to push back if there's an issue, but you don't have those things.

As for thrift stores and such...
Sometimes you can get lucky but a lot of thrift stores and pawn shops simply refuse to touch computer equipment because it's such a volatile industry.  They do get them sometimes, but it's pretty rare and the prices are often way out of line for what they have.

I typically start at Newegg, Microcenter and occasionally Best Buy to find something I want then cross shop it on Amazon just to make sure the prices are reasonable. I wouldn't buy there though, too many shady sellers and I want an easy return if there's an issue.

Sintpinty:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Wed, 29 January 2020, 18:45:32 ---In my experience, you rarely if ever find actual deals on monitors.
People use them until they're dead and monitor prices, companies being liquidated sell them cheap but but the liquidators expect to get paid and the slow moving pace of monitor tech means there's no significant depreciation and they can get good money on them.

I've seen liquidators selling them at 80-90% retail, at which point, spend the money and get new. Buying used like that makes sense if you need 300 of them, have an IT department and know you have the power to push back if there's an issue, but you don't have those things.

As for thrift stores and such...
Sometimes you can get lucky but a lot of thrift stores and pawn shops simply refuse to touch computer equipment because it's such a volatile industry.  They do get them sometimes, but it's pretty rare and the prices are often way out of line for what they have.

I typically start at Newegg, Microcenter and occasionally Best Buy to find something I want then cross shop it on Amazon just to make sure the prices are reasonable. I wouldn't buy there though, too many shady sellers and I want an easy return if there's an issue.

--- End quote ---

Ah i see. Planning to get a viotek monitor and then a vertical monitor on top

Sintpinty:

--- Quote from: tp4tissue on Wed, 29 January 2020, 11:25:27 ---What's the total budget for 1 monitor,   and for 2 monitors

Sitting at your computer desk, hands on the keyboard, what is the distance between eyes and wall,  if you're not facing the wall, take the distance between eyes and the end of the table (forward).

--- End quote ---

About 400 or possibly 600 CAD which is not what i desire

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version