geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

A question for the owners of large cell phones

(1/9) > >>

suicidal_orange:
Being a typical male I don't carry a bag at all times so my phone has to fit on my person somewhere.  As phones continue to get bigger while loose fitting trousers show no sign of making a return the tried and tested method of "put it in your pocket" is an increasingly bad option; the wear lines are visible on my trousers already and my next phone will be bigger whether I want it or not because designers say so.

The only other option I've seen is a case which clips over your belt.  Could put the phone at the front so it's easy to get to, but I'm guessing sitting down with one there is uncomfortable enough let alone bending further to cycle, so that's not going to work.  Clipping it on my side in landscape orientation makes it nearly as long as I am thick but I'm rounded so it will stick out and be annoying while putting the phone in portrait on my side will obstruct a pocket.  Putting the phone on my back means I can sit and use my pockets, but that looks like an invitation to thieves and it's not easy to attach something behind your back.

TLDR; How do you techy people who embraced huge phones long ago carry them?

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: suicidal_orange on Sun, 29 May 2022, 04:16:44 ---
loose fitting trousers show no sign of making a return

my next phone will be bigger whether I want it or not

--- End quote ---

When I was young I wore my clothes very tight because I had a great skinny body and was an idiot. After studying martial arts and hitting my 30s, I came to realize that I only wanted to wear loose-fitting clothes from then on (and I am carrying about 3 stone more than I was then). I actually buy my pants at least one size too large and sew darts into the waist band at back. Goofy? probably Comfortable? definitely

My current Google phone is 6"/14cm tall and 3"/7cm wide. I really don't want a phone bigger than that, although my old eyes (I can count the days until my 70th birthday on my fingers and toes) already strain to read it sometimes.

tp4tissue:
One day, fanny packs will be standard

noisyturtle:
I hate phones with huge screens, they look so idiotic, and are so cumbersome for the small amount that actually matters in your daily life.
Looking forward to 'folding' phones. Half the size, twice the screen.

this is how you look with one of those huge phones  ^-^

suicidal_orange:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Sun, 29 May 2022, 08:57:43 ---My current Google phone is 6"/14cm tall and 3"/7cm wide. I really don't want a phone bigger than that,
--- End quote ---
That's about the same size as my current phone, it's already too big.

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Sun, 29 May 2022, 08:57:43 ---I actually buy my pants at least one size too large and sew darts into the waist band at back. Goofy? probably Comfortable? definitely
--- End quote ---
One size larger waist in "comfort" fit means I can put something in my pocket, buying the correct size looks like I'm wearing skinny jeans.  My sister bought me some skinny jeans in the right waist size for Christmas one year and I couldn't get the waist past my knee.  Maybe I just need to learn tailoring and buy bigger...

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Sun, 29 May 2022, 15:05:57 ---I hate phones with huge screens
--- End quote ---
Is that actually sold as a phone?!  I'd go back to T9 before trying to carry something that big.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version