Author Topic: What are key cap legends?  (Read 7442 times)

Offline mcgci5450

What are key cap legends?
« on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 21:04:28 »
Sorry I know this is sort of a noob question but what are key cap legends? Also what is the importance of custom legends like I have seen some people talking about?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 21:18:23 »
The legends refer to what's printed(etched, etc) on the keycap. Normally it's the font used that's the issue, though they can also refer to the symbols for the modifiers, etc.

Many people are worried about this, as the current fonts from Signature plastics (called SP here) are "ugly" or unpopular. There is some money and effort going into recreating the font and legends from the vintage cherry doubleshot keycaps, as people prefer it aesthetically.

For example, I might say that I prefer to have legends on my A-Z keys, but I prefer unlegended modifiers (capslock, spacebar, etc)

There exist relegendable keycaps, where you can print out the legend on a piece of paper, and put it under a window, so the key can have any legend you want.

Offline mcgci5450

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 21:33:09 »
Thank you for the great explanation, now I also know why legends kept being brought up in the group buys section.

Offline darksakul

• If it is not broken fix it until it is.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 13:12:46 »
Quote from: ripster;572015
I thought they were talking about ME!

Sent From Brother Ripster's iPad
LOL.

I would add more but Dorkvader covered the topic perfectly.
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.