Author Topic: Lenovo Thinkpad Blank keyset (rubber domes, X220)  (Read 11250 times)

Offline dannyp

Lenovo Thinkpad Blank keyset (rubber domes, X220)
« on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 16:29:53 »
Hi all,

I've got to start out by saying I do have a mechanical keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 with a blank keys set. Now that that's out of the way I want to have a portable blank key set on my new laptop: Thinkpad X220. In an ideal world I have an HHKB with blanks installed on the laptop itself replacing the standard keyboard entirely, but that's not realistic. I think my request is realistic: I just want to replace my keyset with blank keys, no labels adhered to them.

Does anyone know how I might accomplish this best? I would prefer to buy a set. I know I could mod the keys themselves but I fear scratching the keys with a blade, or removing some coloration from the keys using solvents.

I have more information I've been gathering on this project at a few links across some message boards:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=103992
http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/X220-Blank-Keycaps/td-p/747741

Questions:
1. If I am able to order a minimum set of 10 keyboards or key sets for the Lenovo X220, would anyone want one? I could sell some here and ebay the remaining ones.
2. What are the best methods for removing labels from keys if I had to mod these?
3. Where might I buy a replacement blank keyboard for the X220 (or any other Lenovo Thinkpad keyboard for that matter)?

I expect that someone will show some love for the blank keysets here! As a reminder I'll post my Filco that I want my Thinkpad to match:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50487[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50491[/ATTACH]
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50492[/ATTACH]

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 18:28:03 »
We get x220's a lot at the computer service center I work at. Did you know that the right and left click buttons for the touchpoint are doubleshot?

Anyway, I imagine getting keycaps made for it would be expensive. You'd need 1 mold for most of the keys, and three more for the keycaps around the touchpoint (or file them down by hand: Time consuming) as well as other ones for any wider or narrower keycaps, though having the modifiers still original and printed might still be the best option. Also, in many RD laptop keyboards, the done is not centered over the keycap, so you'd need additional moulds for those. If you're only making one mould, spreading the cost around to 10 sets would be a good option. I'd help advertise it on the public bulletin boards at the school here. That said, it's still an expensive option.

Perhaps the best way is to just scrape the print pads off. I have read that sandblasting is a viable technique, though I have only sandblasted granite, personally.

Also note: the Lenovo W520 has the exact same keyboard as the X220. I suspect other somewhat modern models do as well.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 18:36:31 »
Rumor has it Lenovo is switching to 'chiclet' style keys on all of their laptops. Feel the pain Macbook Pro users went through a couple years ago...
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 18:46:55 »
Quote from: sth;593567
Rumor has it Lenovo is switching to 'chiclet' style keys on all of their laptops. Feel the pain Macbook Pro users went through a couple years ago...

That would be a shame and I chose not to believe it for now, at least not thinkpads.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 18:53:00 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;593576
That would be a shame and I chose not to believe it for now, at least not thinkpads.
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=103398
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 50507[/ATTACH]
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 19:02:18 »
OK, so maybe it's true.  I'll reserve judgement for now.  From the below pic the caps may be sculpted roughly the same, just lower profile so might not suck.  Messing the thinkpad keyboard is a risky thing, hope they don't mess it up.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 21:02:46 »
That image looks almost exactly like the keyboard for the thinkpad tablet, except the thinkpad tablet has an awful optical trackpoint. If so, it's not awful

If anyone does modify their keyboard (on a computer without an accidental damage warranty), I would advise them to be careful: Lenovo's parts are super expensive. I can check at work tomorrow if anyone's interested, but you can expect a new laptop keyboard from them to cost as much as a rosewill.

Offline dannyp

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 21:08:07 »
Quote from: dorkvader;593562
We get x220's a lot at the computer service center I work at. Did you know that the right and left click buttons for the touchpoint are doubleshot?

Anyway, I imagine getting keycaps made for it would be expensive. You'd need 1 mold for most of the keys, and three more for the keycaps around the touchpoint (or file them down by hand: Time consuming) as well as other ones for any wider or narrower keycaps, though having the modifiers still original and printed might still be the best option. Also, in many RD laptop keyboards, the done is not centered over the keycap, so you'd need additional moulds for those. If you're only making one mould, spreading the cost around to 10 sets would be a good option. I'd help advertise it on the public bulletin boards at the school here. That said, it's still an expensive option.

Perhaps the best way is to just scrape the print pads off. I have read that sandblasting is a viable technique, though I have only sandblasted granite, personally.

Also note: the Lenovo W520 has the exact same keyboard as the X220. I suspect other somewhat modern models do as well.

Lots of good stuff here. Nope I didn't know the touchpoint keys are doubleshot, haha.

I think molding the keys and getting them printed is pretty awesome. I have no experience in this area though. How expensive do you think it would be? I know at that one place in Washington that does custom caps, it's rather expensive for a single key. I couldn't imagine I would want to spend more than $200 to get my $20-$30 keyboard blank. I'd rather dump that into a HHKB or RF and carry it with me. But please give me an idea of the price range if you can get a ballpark.

As for manual removal, someone posted on thinkpads forum that you can do this... I'm skeptical but willing to try:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-remove-Logos-from-your-PDA--cell-phone-wit/

That's surprising that the W520 has the same keyboard, haha. This link had some interesting discussion about the various FRU model numbers of the US keyboards here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Looking-for-US-keyboard-for-ThinkPad-X220/td-p/482925

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 21:40:28 »
sth, was looking at your avatar, thought it was Jaleel White as Urkel but it's Will Smith from Fresh Prince isn't it?

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 21:59:54 »
Honestly, if the keys are pad-printed, I would probably try some light sandblasting. Although I know nothing about sandblasting, so that may or may not actually be plausible.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 22:05:34 »
Quote from: Quarzac;593700
Honestly, if the keys are pad-printed, I would probably try some light sandblasting. Although I know nothing about sandblasting, so that may or may not actually be plausible.

Was watching Modern Marvels "Nuts" on TV the other night about how they would sandblast the space shuttle solid rocket boosters to clean them up but rather than use sand they used finely ground walnut shells, so as not to scratch them up, thought that was pretty cool.  I sandblasted some engine parts way back in the day but really don't know what the blasting abrasive material was.  I naively thought it must have been sand, and maybe it was but truth be told I really don't know.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 22:17:30 »
Quote from: dannyp;593669
Lots of good stuff here. Nope I didn't know the touchpoint keys are doubleshot, haha.

I think molding the keys and getting them printed is pretty awesome. I have no experience in this area though. How expensive do you think it would be? I know at that one place in Washington that does custom caps, it's rather expensive for a single key. I couldn't imagine I would want to spend more than $200 to get my $20-$30 keyboard blank. I'd rather dump that into a HHKB or RF and carry it with me. But please give me an idea of the price range if you can get a ballpark.

As for manual removal, someone posted on thinkpads forum that you can do this... I'm skeptical but willing to try:
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-remove-Logos-from-your-PDA--cell-phone-wit/

That's surprising that the W520 has the same keyboard, haha. This link had some interesting discussion about the various FRU model numbers of the US keyboards here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Looking-for-US-keyboard-for-ThinkPad-X220/td-p/482925
Hmm, interesting. I haven't been on "parts ordering" duty in a while, so I don't know if they have the same FRU or not, but the keyboard, connector, and screw mounts are exactly identical. As far as custom moulds go, I have read that $3000 is a good estimate. If that's the case, with ten 37-key sets, you'd only be paying about $9/key. Perhaps some company with an injection moulding machine can give you a better price on custom moulds.

That said, I think sandblasting or fine sandpaper is the way to go.

Quote from: TexasFlood;593703
Was watching Modern Marvels "Nuts" on TV the other night about how they would sandblast the space shuttle solid rocket boosters to clean them up but rather than use sand they used finely ground walnut shells, so as not to scratch them up, thought that was pretty cool.  I sandblasted some engine parts way back in the day but really don't know what the blasting abrasive material was.  I naively thought it must have been sand, and maybe it was but truth be told I really don't know.
Hmm, that is interesting, likely they do it because the walnuts aren't "that" hard, and won't wear through the metal, but it could also be because they will dampen the shock of impact. If you were sandblasting metal, it could have been sand (or glass: Similar properties) or Al2O3 (Alumina, or sapphire). Beth have relatively high hardness.

If you can change the sandblasting media easily, go for something softer, like walnut shells, so it'll go slower and not damage the key. Since I have almost no experience in sandblasting, all these recommendations are theoretical.

If you don't have easy access to a sandblasting setup, I'd grab some fine sandpaper and watch some movies. Others recommend finishing off with coarse paper to texturize the keycap again. I believe there was a topic about this, but I can't find it, so it must've been GHroll'd back.

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 May 2012, 23:05:49 »
Quote from: dorkvader;593706
Hmm, that is interesting, likely they do it because the walnuts aren't "that" hard, and won't wear through the metal, but it could also be because they will dampen the shock of impact. If you were sandblasting metal, it could have been sand (or glass: Similar properties) or Al2O3 (Alumina, or sapphire). Beth have relatively high hardness.

If you can change the sandblasting media easily, go for something softer, like walnut shells, so it'll go slower and not damage the key. Since I have almost no experience in sandblasting, all these recommendations are theoretical.

If you don't have easy access to a sandblasting setup, I'd grab some fine sandpaper and watch some movies. Others recommend finishing off with coarse paper to texturize the keycap again. I believe there was a topic about this, but I can't find it, so it must've been GHroll'd back.

Well I think the solid rocket booster casings are steel, but NASA still babied them.  I think that Modern Marvels "Nuts" mentioned that the walnut material can be substituted for sand straight up so don't need different/special equipment to use it, thought that was pretty cool.  Also said that many soaps and other skin products with abrasives are likely to be ground walnut shells as well.