Author Topic: where can I get lower profile keycaps?  (Read 18193 times)

Offline wcstick

where can I get lower profile keycaps?
« on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 13:13:44 »
Hello,

I recently got a WASD v1 with brown switches. I love it and its lightness, but I'm looking to minimize the typing effort even more with lower profile keycaps. Problem is, I don't know where to get them. Do any of you know?

Thanks!

Offline Djuzuh

Re: where can I get lower profile keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 13:17:57 »
Cherry keycaps are the lowest profile you get I believe.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 13:19:49 »
GBs on here are typically cherry style keys.  My keys on techkeys.us are low profile.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 13:49:51 »
SP's keycaps arent as low profile as cherry keycaps. If you get thick pbt keycaps from imsto, then they're cherry profile. You could also try getting some o-rings to reduce the travel distance.

I'm selling a imsto thick pbt blue dyesubs if you're interested.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 August 2012, 13:54:29 by thegunner100 »
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline wcstick

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 18:40:46 »
hmm...thanks for your responses. I'm content with the keys that I have now if they're the lowest profile available. I'm just used to typing on my laptop and their flat profile.
I have looked at o-rings but it's not quite what I'm looking for. anyway, thanks again for everyone's responses!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 23:11:45 »
The WASD uses "OEM profile" or "filco profile" which is taller than SP or cherry.

You can probably get a set of cherry PBT or POM for pretty cheap. (Either from a cherry G81 keyboard on ebay, or someone who replaced his cherry keycaps with doubleshots) Cherry PBT and POM are both really excellent, and low profile.

I'm a little tired, so I'm not seeing how keycaps will reduce effort, but you may want to consider O-rings, as they will reduce the key travel distance. Also, learning to not prett the keys fully should speed up your typing somewhat, and greatly reduce effort.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 August 2012, 23:50:14 »
cherry keycaps with o-rings is the way to go!

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 13 August 2012, 02:41:55 »
I don't think lower profile keys would make you use less effort. You still need to press down the same amount before you actuate/bottom out. Maybe get some o-rings, that would decrease the distance to bottoming out.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline wcstick

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 15:03:42 »
Update. I just bought blank Leopold keycaps from Dan. They do seem to have a lower profile than the WASD keycaps and feel softer (slightly more cushion). They also make less noise than the WASD keycaps. So I've more or less softened and quieted my keyboard with the Leopold keycaps.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 15:44:38 »
If you are still looking for lower, you could get Cherry G80-3800. It has very low flat style keycap.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 18:33:41 »
The Caps Lock key on the G80-3800 will not fit on your WASD keyboard, or on any other Cherry keyboard for that matter. The key cap's stem is in a unique place for the key on this keyboard.
🍉

Offline Okita

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 18:33:42 »
As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, o-rings would help even more.

Offline wcstick

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 15:44:10 »
Update #2 I'm going to bump this thread instead of making a new one.

I'm now looking for a lower profile spacebar as the WASD one is fairly high. I'm pressing on the edge of the spacebar with my thumbs and it's not very comfortable. Where can I buy a spacebar that preferably suits the Leopold profile keycaps that I currently have?

To those who are recommending O-rings, I'm content with the feel and noise level of my keyboard. Thank you for your recommendations though!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 20:39:30 »
The only one I can think of would be a 6-stem cherry profile titanium one. Either that, or get a cherry spacebar and modify it. You might consider just getting a different keyboard as a cheaper option, though.

Although it's lower profile, I would not recommend getting a SignaturePlastics spacebar, as it's quite pointed. Reversing it helps, but it looks odd, and tends to bind more.

Offline wcstick

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 21:23:44 »
Doesn't SP have different profiles? I saw some options on their website, but I didn't know how to order from them...

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 22:09:57 »
I'm looking to minimize the typing effort even more with lower profile keycaps. Problem is, I don't know where to get them. Do any of you know?
Low profile and key travel. Low profile will not reduce the travel distance to bottom-out. It will still have roughly 4mm to travel, no matter what profile you get. What you'd want to get are thick O-rings. And if you don't like the fact that they dampen the noise and vibration, then get 90-durometer ones, they're a bit harder. Or even try plastic spacers if you still want the loud noises.

Doesn't SP have different profiles? I saw some options on their website, but I didn't know how to order from them...
SP does have different profiles, but it's not practical to order sets yourself. It'll cost way too much. That's why all orders from SP on here are in the form of group buys, so that large quantities will reduce costs for each order.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 September 2012, 22:11:33 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline wcstick

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 01:57:56 »
I understand now that O-rings are the only way to reduce key travel. That question has been effectively answered.

I guess there is no cheap way to replace my spacebar with a lower profile one except maybe the classifieds. I'll keep an eye out for replacement.