Author Topic: SP doubleshot PBT arrow set  (Read 14859 times)

Offline Vintage

Re: SP doubleshot PBT arrow set
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 15:51:49 »
This is super-exciting. I might hold out for these. And RA or CCnB PBT set would be sick, and worth a big price, IMO.
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 15:55:16 »
I probably wouldn't pay much extra for a PBT set vs an ABS set of the same thing, but I suppose some would.

I am part of the other camp. I have always preferred PBT over ABS, and thus also had to choose dye subbed and lasered over doble shot. No longer does one have to choose. PBT to the people!

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 16:28:21 »
Mine came in today.  I did a comparison with an RA set.  Visually identical.  Dropped in water, the PBT sank like a stone as expected. Nice, but not woo-hoo.

I will say they are nicer than the NOS "Cherry" Escape key that came at the same time.

Unfortunately my experience with PBT has been with IBM/Lexmark/Unicomp and Imsto, so I (we?) subconsciously equate PBT with "thick and sturdy."  These are not that.

I like the keys and I am glad I bought a sample set to see and touch.  But I am not going to pay triple over ABS double-shots any time soon.

Just my $.02,

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 16:29:54 »
Got my arrows.  Looking forward to using them over the next 20 years with no shine. :D

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 16:54:26 »
Unfortunately my experience with PBT has been with IBM/Lexmark/Unicomp and Imsto, so I (we?) subconsciously equate PBT with "thick and sturdy."  These are not that.

Yeah! This is what I was trying to say.  It's not that I don't prefer PBT over ABS, it's just that besides texture durability, there isn't really any difference.  So the difference in the price would be just for that I guess... unless I'm missing something?

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 17:35:31 »
Yeah! This is what I was trying to say.  It's not that I don't prefer PBT over ABS, it's just that besides texture durability, there isn't really any difference.  So the difference in the price would be just for that I guess... unless I'm missing something?

Frankly, I think the difference is huge. I have never ever gotten any visible wear on my PBT keys. None.
ABS in shiny in about a week, especially the space bar where the spots and general unevenness of the wear makes it more noticeable.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 17:41:18 »
I agree with damorgue.  Even without the thickness or even the texture of traditional PBT caps, the durability is worth extra to me.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 17:53:01 »

Frankly, I think the difference is huge. I have never ever gotten any visible wear on my PBT keys. None.
ABS in shiny in about a week, especially the space bar where the spots and general unevenness of the wear makes it more noticeable.

Fair enough -- now if only SP had PBT spacebars.  Which they don't.

Quote from: Signature Plastics
We do not currently mold spacebars in PBT material.
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Vintage

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 17:54:39 »
Yeah, I used an old IBM board at work and I am petty sure they were PBT. The keys felt awesome and there was no texture missing. And you could tell they treated that board like ****.
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 17:55:09 »
Got my arrows.  Looking forward to using them over the next 20 years with no shine. :D

So SP has lost you as a customer for any more arrow keys?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 17:58:11 »

That's what different colors are for.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 19:16:39 »
I have always believed space bars to be the primary concern when it comes to ABS. If I could have a PBT space bar colour-matched to the ABS sets, that would increase the longevity of the DS sets by quite a lot. Black and white PBT spacebars are common, the others, not so much. Dolch PBT anyone?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 01:04:09 »

That's what different colors are for.

Touche :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 22:00:21 »
Can one of you folks that received the arrow set post pics.  Thanks

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 09:36:10 »

I said BESIDES texture durability, there isn't a noticeable difference. I'd be curious if anyone disagrees after having *these* caps.