Author Topic: SP or Cherry Double Shot? UPDATE: Tai Hao Double Shot $8.00 per 104 key?!?!?!?!  (Read 21274 times)

Offline mark_thaddeus

Re: SP Double Shot or Cherry Double Shot?
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 21:16:37 »
Definitely in for two sets, the black and blue! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread once the group buy has been setup.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 21:20:59 »
Wow.. at that price I'm in for atleast 4 sets... 2 reds 2 blues... That's assuming that the letting is white of course, black on red doesn't look to great in my opinion.
[Meanwhile; they realize they made a miscommunication and send an email explaining they meant $6.50 per key  :)) ]
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 May 2013, 00:14:36 by Rule16 »
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 22:02:30 »
At ~$7 per set, I could see avoiding a lot of the "colour combination" battles.

Want red modifiers and a black main set?  Buy a red set, and a black set.  Fourteen bucks.  Throw the rest out the window for all we care.

In spite of having no boards suitable for it, I'd be in for a red set and a black one at that price.

Personally, I also like the typography better than the STOCK Signature Plastics typography.  SP's font looks good on a retro setup with big legends, centered legends, that sort of thing.  However, for a modern look, like CCnG or Klaxon or the like, it just seems like an unwanted baggage.

Costar stabilisers:  Why can't you just pull them from your stock caps?  Admittedly, that doesn't help Phantom/etc owners, but maybe they can salvage some from a dead board, or order them after-market.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Vintage

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 22:12:20 »
HOLY CRAP that price is too good to pass up  :eek:

I'd say the best bet for a spacebar would be to get one from SP but they are notoriously sharp. I know there were issues with the DSA retro set GB spacebars but I believe they eventually got them. The Bar would likely be lower than the rest of the set but I don't think it would be sharp. 
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 22:24:30 »
At ~$7 per set, I could see avoiding a lot of the "colour combination" battles.

Want red modifiers and a black main set?  Buy a red set, and a black set.  Fourteen bucks.  Throw the rest out the window for all we care.

In spite of having no boards suitable for it, I'd be in for a red set and a black one at that price.

Personally, I also like the typography better than the STOCK Signature Plastics typography.  SP's font looks good on a retro setup with big legends, centered legends, that sort of thing.  However, for a modern look, like CCnG or Klaxon or the like, it just seems like an unwanted baggage.

Costar stabilisers:  Why can't you just pull them from your stock caps?  Admittedly, that doesn't help Phantom/etc owners, but maybe they can salvage some from a dead board, or order them after-market.
what you mean you have no boards suitable for it, from the pic that GH member posted they make them full 104 ANSI sets and only window and page modifiers are not DS but pad printed.... We can have those modifiers in blanks. Maeby we can have few more keys as add on like ISO enter, maeby bottom modifiers x1 in blanks for 1800 boards, maeby they do make the small shift's..... all of this questions need to be asked of what is or isn't possible to add on to make the set more suitable for broader people.

By the end of the day its a killer deal even if your weird layout board is left out with 1-2 keys empty.... If someone descides to start talking to this company about adding caps as an add on to a full set, that way we can find out whats possible and whats not and then we can get final price tag on a full set. It wont go higher that $1 more per set with the add on keycaps. Its still a killer price.... Then we can have a GB from SP for space bars perhaps to match the colors?
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Joxx

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 22:48:47 »
Would love to get a couple blank set at this price!
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 May 2013, 22:51:12 by Joxx »
Ducky 9087 MX Brown | Blackwidow  MX Blue  | CM TK MX Red | Looking for a QFR MX Blue!

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 00:36:51 »
Would love to get a couple blank set at this price!
Why blank when you could get DoubleShot?
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline Joxx

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 00:40:28 »
Sorry, I am new to this but you are talking about why I chose not to get letters on the keycaps right?
Ducky 9087 MX Brown | Blackwidow  MX Blue  | CM TK MX Red | Looking for a QFR MX Blue!

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: Re: SP Double Shot or Cherry Double Shot?
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 00:49:41 »

Because it's an option, colemak, devorak, they're cheap, etc.

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 07:02:43 »
Deeeeeeyum! I am for 2-3 sets as well :D
What the hell am I even doing

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 08:49:38 »
look they have green color too, http://keycaprep.com/product/detail.html?product_no=39&cate_no=40&display_group=1

but if you look right after opening the link in the left corner they offer orange color too :)

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 09:29:07 »
I'm wondering if the 5 space bar would work on a choc mini?? It'd be a bit small but just might work.
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
Re: Re: SP Double Shot or Cherry Double Shot?
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 09:48:05 »

Because it's an option, colemak, devorak, they're cheap, etc.
I can understand the layouts but cheap isn't really a factor right now is it.
Sorry, I am new to this but you are talking about why I chose not to get letters on the keycaps right?
In this case where DoubleShots are only 6.50 yes, you should take advantage of how cheap they are... You can get OEM blanks in lots of places, but nowhere else would you find DoubleShots for 6.50. If you don't know what DoubleShot means yet: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Doubleshot
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 10:56:30 »
Very in-ter-est-ing

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 14:09:10 »
The awkward moment when you realize that you pay more for shipping than for the actual set :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:11:42 »
... when you realise what Leopold users feel because they don't have a matching spacebar.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline älg

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:35:19 »
You might want to have a look at this thread regarding the Tai-Hao keycaps: http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/taiwan-tai-hao-doubleshots-t5028.html

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:41:01 »
You might want to have a look at this thread regarding the Tai-Hao keycaps: http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/taiwan-tai-hao-doubleshots-t5028.html

Thanks for the link!

The quality seems to be mediocre but that was to be expected.

But for that price I'd buy a set of each color anyway :D

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 16:07:31 »
why in heck pics that are posted on desktority they wont open, its like showing its loading all the time.... This is only happening to me on Desktority.........

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 17:07:04 »
What's with the texture on the side of the red key?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 20:13:13 »
We need updates :( ... is anyone going to set up a groupbuy of this?
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline Q404

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 11:41:49 »
It was too good to be true T_T

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 12:07:13 »
lol damn it no one's doing it eh?  Maybe we should make a post in interest check to see if anyone will step up to run it  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 12:10:44 »
lol damn it no one's doing it eh?  Maybe we should make a post in interest check to see if anyone will step up to run it  :P

Thread title is definitely hurting it imo. Get rid of SP (lol) and add something like 104 cherry sets for $6.50 with a bunch of question marks :p

Offline Hyde

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 12:22:07 »
lol I guess it's true, because people won't know about it until they read it.

I'll update it  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 12:24:00 »
I'm glad you found the humor in that lol. You could also start an IC requesting someone to do a GB, but that's up to you.

Edit - lol nice going Hyde! Everyone is in here now!! The title is NOT a joke, but we need someone to do a GB!!!!
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2013, 12:40:17 by Jocelyn »

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
The deskthority page shows those weird rubber caps for ALPS, which suggests they're at least aware of ALPS switches.

If they made an ALPS set I could see there being a lot of pent-up demand because there's simply no alternative to scavenging used boards.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Hyde

Interest check made !!!

It's here once it's approved by mod:  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43668.0

If it's not working then be patient  :P

The deskthority page shows those weird rubber caps for ALPS, which suggests they're at least aware of ALPS switches.

If they made an ALPS set I could see there being a lot of pent-up demand because there's simply no alternative to scavenging used boards.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention they sell rubber gaming WASD Keys too.  But I didn't get to ask what their MOQ is on that one.  Though you could be right this could attract ALPS users lol.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2013, 12:56:48 by Hyde »

Offline elton5354

Wouldn't starting a GB be better because you'd still need 500 orders to complete the GB.  Create a google doc and have people submit their orders and wait until it reaches MOQ?

I dont mind a yellow set :D

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Wouldn't starting a GB be better because you'd still need 500 orders to complete the GB.  Create a google doc and have people submit their orders and wait until it reaches MOQ?

Maybe, but Hyde didn't want to run the GB. I think doing the Google doc thing for IC in addition to looking for someone to run it would be a good idea.

Offline elton5354

Maybe, but Hyde didn't want to run the GB. I think doing the Google doc thing for IC in addition to looking for someone to run it would be a good idea.

You're right :)

Offline elton5354

I don't mind doing it ;)

Offline Hyde

Elton you're our saviour !!!!!!

:D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Offline mark_thaddeus

I'll definitely be getting a black set and a blue set! I can't wait for this! Can we make reservations now? Lol!

Offline Hyde

Interest check form is up here:  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43668.0

Everyone go fill it out  :P