Author Topic: How do pom keycaps feel?  (Read 18963 times)

Offline bondonin

How do pom keycaps feel?
« on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 21:42:46 »
POMs aren't too common but the Noppoo chocs is one brand that uses it as their standard keycaps. How does the POM fare against PBT?
I'm reading through really long thread about testing different key cap types (Captain Badass thread) but I'd a appreciate a quick tip if there is a community consensus about this.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
Re: How do pom keycaps feel?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 21:55:55 »
I think pom also in rubber dome keyboard :rolleyes:
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 22:23:09 »
POM are slippery feeling.  PBT has a nice texture.  ABS is for plebs and paupers.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 22:26:02 »
POM are slippery feeling.  PBT has a nice texture.  ABS is for plebs and paupers.

You should be the "prince" using only PBT, aren't you?

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 22:32:28 »

Ja....

HHKB=PBT
RF=PBT
Kingsaver=PBT
IBM=PBT

^ You see that logic.  High quality boards use PBT.

OP, POM is a tough as nails keycap material.  It's nice, just feels a little funny under the finger.  My personal preference is PBT>POM>ABS.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 December 2013, 22:39:52 »
^

ABS is also for when I've forgotten to bring my Soarer's converter to school with me after a long break and I can't use any of my keyboards.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 00:57:08 »
They are in the middle ground in terms of texture when you compare them to ABS and PBT. They are definitely on the more smooth side but retain a bit of texture so they aren't completely slippery. I actually find the POM keycaps on my Choc mini better than the rough texture of the thin PBTs I got from Banggood.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 01:49:00 »

Ja....

HHKB=PBT
RF=PBT
Kingsaver=PBT
IBM=PBT

^ You see that logic.  High quality boards use PBT.

OP, POM is a tough as nails keycap material.  It's nice, just feels a little funny under the finger.  My personal preference is PBT>POM>ABS.

Where did the Alps PBT caps come from?

Offline Belfong

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 01:52:36 »
I wouldn't say that POM is slippery but more of a sticky feeling. As though a layer of sugar water was brushed against it. I prefer the grainy feel of PBT.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 01:57:50 »
ABS>POM>PBT
PBT feels like junk.

Offline Beca

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 02:20:37 »
ABS>POM>PBT
PBT feels like junk.
I can't get over the roughness of some of the PBT keycaps I've typed on. It's weird.

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 02:23:46 »

In reference for the quote in bold.  :))

I wonder if ABS gets covered in oil (due to one's oily hands, either naturally or otherwise) would it also be slippery to type on as well? hahaha.

The only keyboards that I have to the best of my knowledge are either using PBT or ABS for keycaps. So I have nothing useful to comment/contribute apart from pointing this link out:
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Keycap_construction#POM

Upon reading about POM being slippery to touch.. I wonder how bad would it be if one has oily hands (again) and tries to play games with an oily and slippery POM keys? Maybe the idea of ABS with oil on the top surface gave idea to POM (or is it the other way round)?  ;D No offense but I probably would not enjoy typing on a slippery keyboard. Oil on ABS or otherwise non oily POM it would not be fun if one tries to game for instance with oily hands and POM keycap. "oops I pressed the wrong key!"

On a more serious note, to each their own.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 December 2013, 02:26:02 by tuxsavvy »
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline tbc

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 06:27:55 »
ABS>POM>PBT
PBT feels like junk.

pbt feels clean, abs naturally maintains a coating either your hand grease or a factory applied 'soft touch'
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 09:57:55 »
IME, PBT has a "ceramic" feeling to it, dry and textured. POM is more plasticky, almost Teflon-like. I like both, but POM takes the crown due to its higher density and deeper sound than PBT.

The only ABS I would consider are thick double shot ABS caps. Thick enough to take away the "cheap" feeling.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 12:30:10 »
POM keycaps I would describe as they feel 'greasy'. Pretty easy to get a hold of some From Cherry G80/G81-whateverL**** in black color on the cheap. PBT feels dry. ABS is in between. Texture dosen't really have much to do with the plastic types. That's part of the keymolds.
POM is greasy as in more sticky in my opinion, and I tend to not have very dry hands. It's a grippy slick, like racing tires.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 December 2013, 12:31:54 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 13:15:00 »
How does shiny ABS feel compared to POM?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 14:30:03 »

Not the same at all.  Shiny ABS has a disgusting greasy feel that comes from some part of the brain.  You can wash and scrub your shiny ABS keycaps with grease-removing soap and water, and they will always feel greasy to your brain.  It has something to do with the nerve endings in the fingers and the sensation they send to the brain.

POM feel totally different.  They don't feel greasy at all.  I guess "wet" or "slick" are appropriate adjectives for POM, but they are lacking and don't fully convey the feeling of POM.  I would also add "fast", "cool to the touch", "smooth", "resistant" and "resilient", but even those words do not adequately describe the sensation.  There are some things that cannot be expressed in words, or at least not in English words.  We really need to invent new words to describe the way keycaps feel on the fingertips, just like the Eskimo's have 180 words to describe snow, we need new words for the feel of keycaps.  (And like the Japanese have the word "umami" to describe a certain savory taste in food, that is untranslatable in English, since we have no word for it, although we recognize the taste in our mouths.)

Also, POM keycaps require laser-etched lettering, or laser-etched in-filled lettering, which can feel like a raised bump where the letter is.  Some find this annoying, but I do not.  In all I would say POM is the great under-appreciated keycap material.  It is not as useful as PBT, but it's infinitely better than ABS. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 16:17:34 »

Not the same at all.  Shiny ABS has a disgusting greasy feel that comes from some part of the brain.  You can wash and scrub your shiny ABS keycaps with grease-removing soap and water, and they will always feel greasy to your brain.  It has something to do with the nerve endings in the fingers and the sensation they send to the brain.

POM feel totally different.  They don't feel greasy at all.  I guess "wet" or "slick" are appropriate adjectives for POM, but they are lacking and don't fully convey the feeling of POM.  I would also add "fast", "cool to the touch", "smooth", "resistant" and "resilient", but even those words do not adequately describe the sensation.  There are some things that cannot be expressed in words, or at least not in English words.  We really need to invent new words to describe the way keycaps feel on the fingertips, just like the Eskimo's have 180 words to describe snow, we need new words for the feel of keycaps.  (And like the Japanese have the word "umami" to describe a certain savory taste in food, that is untranslatable in English, since we have no word for it, although we recognize the taste in our mouths.)

Also, POM keycaps require laser-etched lettering, or laser-etched in-filled lettering, which can feel like a raised bump where the letter is.  Some find this annoying, but I do not.  In all I would say POM is the great under-appreciated keycap material.  It is not as useful as PBT, but it's infinitely better than ABS. 

POM I don't have, but I spent part of the weekend using shiny ABS.  Currently I am using PBT :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 17:16:33 »

I concur. I find it can feel slippery but sticky as well somehow but in no way similar to the gross sticky feel of ABS. POM kind of has this cold, hard feel. IMO very pleasing to type on. I have to have blanks on all my keyboards so any legend disadvantages are not a problem.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 18:10:29 »
I'm becoming more and more curious about POM :eek:

Offline Beca

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 19:03:17 »
You should try the blank black ones on Banggood. Those are the only POM keycaps I know that are pretty cheap and doesn't come with a whole keyboard. The POM keycaps on the Noppoo are really nice and thick as well. I prefer them to thin PBT and thin ABS, and on the same level as the thick Poker PBTs for me.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 06:12:53 »
You should try the blank black ones on Banggood. Those are the only POM keycaps I know that are pretty cheap and doesn't come with a whole keyboard. The POM keycaps on the Noppoo are really nice and thick as well. I prefer them to thin PBT and thin ABS, and on the same level as the thick Poker PBTs for me.

I really like my blank black Banggood POM caps, they're my favourite keycaps right now. It actually irritates me a little since I was expecting to prefer the white PBT ones and my colour scheme works best with white alpha keys. Sigh...

Highly recommend you try them. Be aware that they are VERY tight. If you happen to have a loose MX Clear switch (other types will work, too, but Clears seem to have the thickest stems), put each cap on and off that a few times to loosen them up so they don't get stuck when you put them on your keyboard.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 07:22:41 »

I really like my blank black Banggood POM caps, they're my favourite keycaps right now. It actually irritates me a little since I was expecting to prefer the white PBT ones and my colour scheme works best with white alpha keys. Sigh...

Highly recommend you try them. Be aware that they are VERY tight. If you happen to have a loose MX Clear switch (other types will work, too, but Clears seem to have the thickest stems), put each cap on and off that a few times to loosen them up so they don't get stuck when you put them on your keyboard.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a set of the Banggood POM caps arriving today. Looking forward to comparing them to my PBT caps. Will report back after a few days.

Offline Beca

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 12:34:39 »

I agree with the tight stem, it literally pulled off the top of a switch housing after I tried to take them off. This is with the white thin Banggood PBTs though.

They should make white POM caps :( I already know its possible since they have those white jelly POM caps.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 16:31:41 »
Not just any white POM keycaps... but CHERRY profile white POM keycaps in winkeyless! I would nuke Luxembourg for those.

Offline adhoc

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 12:05:29 »
My POM Cherry feels very nice, regardless of what you people say! I just hope HHKBP2 will be a lot better, otherwise I will not be able to justify spending 320$ for it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 03:29:55 »
My POM Cherry feels very nice, regardless of what you people say! I just hope HHKBP2 will be a lot better, otherwise I will not be able to justify spending 320$ for it.

HHKB are PBT.

Offline adhoc

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 06:07:21 »

HHKB are PBT.

I know. I wanted to point out I really like POM and I hope PBT + Topre are much better than this POM + Blue, otherwise I will have a hard time justifying the board's price.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 06:13:41 »
From my experience...
POM feels oily and PBT feels dry, with the same texture POM feels somewhat slippery while PBT feels rough, both will last very long.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 16:10:41 »
I just had my 7yo daughter in here after her happy pills, and she has inspired me to suggest that POM keycaps probably feel pretty happy too :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 14 December 2013, 16:16:35 »
I want key caps that feel happy

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 15:44:03 »

They should make white POM caps :( I already know its possible since they have those white jelly POM caps.

I read somewhere that fully solid white POM caps aren't possible because the material itself is clear, therefore giving you the white jelly effect.

From my own experience with the Noppoo Choc Mini, POM caps make me type FAST. Your fingers will tend to slide across keys instead of pecking them, like playing a piano almost. And yes, they do feel somewhat wet and slippery, but they are still textured and feel nicer than ABS imho. I currently love my thick PBT dye-subs. Super textured and nice feeling. But I'd use POM anyday.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 15:53:40 »
Also, POM keycaps require laser-etched lettering, or laser-etched in-filled lettering

LIES AND SLANDER, blank POM are the best keycaps I own ;__;

<3 Das 2

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 19 December 2013, 20:47:59 »
ABS>POM>PBT
PBT feels like junk.

Hear, hear! :llama: