Author Topic: Why there are so few topre keycaps?  (Read 9484 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Why there are so few topre keycaps?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 18:20:40 »
MX stems are round with a "+" in the middle.

Can you drill out the "+" to make it "O", then cut a notch in the top and bottom to turn it into Topre compatible?

I would imagine a makeshift staff like that wouldn't fit very well.

I have a box full of Crap Bag keycaps - this might make an amusing project for the long weekend.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 18:28:33 »
I feel like MX stems aren't a big enough diameter

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 18:53:20 »
I feel like MX stems aren't a big enough diameter

I had a few caps with an MX-like stem, but somewhat wider.  Still with the "+" in the middle.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 18:56:40 »

Can you drill out the "+" to make it "O", then cut a notch in the top and bottom to turn it into Topre compatible?

You probably could, but it wouldn't be stable enough to support constant typing.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 19:03:48 »

You probably could, but it wouldn't be stable enough to support constant typing.

Just making me more curious now :p

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 19:08:44 »

doesn't work at all, actually

the stem on MX caps is too small
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 20:22:11 »

You lot are a bunch of wet blankets :))

Offline beartung

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 21:18:12 »

Only I can tell there are many fans of hhkb in China. :)
Looking for Topre Orangesicle CC & Topre Limoncello CC

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 15:17:09 »
Why actually DID Topre stop making keycaps?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 01:49:45 »

I don't think anyone knows for sure.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 02:00:32 »

You lot are a bunch of wet blankets :))

So I went ahead and tried anyway.

The MX stem is about the same width as the Topre stem.

The hole in the middle of the Topre stem is about 5/32" (or that is the drill bit that most tightly fitted).

I drilled out the middle of a couple of MX keycaps from a Crap Bag - no big deal.

The problem was carving the slot in the upper and lower "edges" of the stem.  On Topre this is narrower at the end of the stem and widens as you go up towards the typing surface of the keycap.  Careful inspection of the Topre slider reveals a triangular bit that presumably the stem clips over to hold the keycaps on.

I carved a slot and the keycap went on, but wouldn't stay on.

I tried to carve it wider at the top of the keycap and narrower at the bottom, but that was kinda awkward.

One attempt sort of clipped on at the bottom of the keycap, but not the top.

The other one sort of went on and stayed on, but was really loose.

Also the MX stems are not as long as the Topre stems.  The Topre ones extend out past the bottom of the skirt.

So I guess with a bit of care, some more time, and some proper tools, it would be possible.  More or less.

Offline thestage

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 16:45:16 »

the cynic in me says topre wants people to shell out for new boards when they want new caps

but then again, they don't produce boards with any caps besides white/biege and black, so who knows.