Author Topic: [IC] The Rabelius - a compact full size  (Read 48932 times)

Offline Lord_Rabel

• The geek that doctors trust.
[IC] The Rabelius - a compact full size
« on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 12:38:26 »
Hello everyone,

So I've been working on my dream keyboard.
241470-0
(And already made a Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/gcrb5k/the_rabelius/ ). But I want to get more serious about it.
It's a 105 key ANSI/ISO supporting board. (See the PCB and layout here: https://github.com/LordRabel/Rabelius/tree/master ).
Like the DISCIPLINE 65 by coseyfannitutti the top window allows sight on the components of the keyboard (which all have to be soldered).
More pictures are available on my imgur account: https://imgur.com/user/LordRabel/posts

I feel like 1800s and compact full size boards are so hard to find. Maybe there is not a huge demand for them, but I really need the numpad.
If you got any suggestions or things you would like to see feel free to tell me! Either here at Rabel#9414 trough Discord or trough Reddit u/Lord_Rabel.

I made a Google form too, which you can fill out here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSelQexONaXlF7qsbUTCsPeE1AouoGurZSPbyXEojNDGr0N1WQ/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1

I would love to see your feedback!

241472-1241474-2241476-3241478-4

Have a nice day
Lord_Rabel

Offline Crack85

Re: [IC] The Rabelius - a compact full size
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 12:40:12 »
Looks clean

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 12:43:28 »
This is really cool, a compact full size like this looks really nice. would a southpaw variant be a realistic option?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 12:46:25 »
This looks v clean, I'm in.

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

Offline Vireca

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 12:58:59 »
I dont get it, the case its going to be of aluminum? Or its a case like the Disciple, Plaid, etc?

Offline Rejeckted

• Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum... I smell Kraft dinnah
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 12:59:34 »
I'll be watching this. Still looking for a decent full sized custom. This is a contender

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:00:55 »
I dont get it, the case its going to be of aluminum? Or its a case like the Disciple, Plaid, etc?

I have to say I thought about it, but the top aluminum piece, the plate and the pcb/firmware would have to be redone. Maybe in a future version, but not in this one sorry.

It's going to be aluminum, my google form lists all parts

Offline TinyShinyCrumb

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:14:04 »
I need this in my life!!! Really nice looking.

Offline TalksToChalk

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:20:26 »
Looks clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:20:53 »
What purpose will the top window serve?

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 13:21:52 »
What purpose will the top window serve?
To see the components and such.

Sent from my SM-J415G using Tapatalk

Offline Capsy

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 14:08:07 »
Interesting layout and design. A few observations:

1) Top row looks very busy. Can probably remove a key and add indicator lights.
2) Sandwich mount is not bad but can be kind of very stiff with SS/brass plates. Making it a simple top mount would open up different plate materials like CF and can also push the design to a seamless look.
3) Components being displayed at the top look good but I think the board has enough going for it to not make the forehead larger. Okay with it either ways.

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 14:22:30 »
Interesting layout and design. A few observations:

1) Top row looks very busy. Can probably remove a key and add indicator lights.
2) Sandwich mount is not bad but can be kind of very stiff with SS/brass plates. Making it a simple top mount would open up different plate materials like CF and can also push the design to a seamless look.
3) Components being displayed at the top look good but I think the board has enough going for it to not make the forehead larger. Okay with it either ways.

Thanks for your respons!
1.: Good idea, but I wanted to keep the all key layout (rotary encoder was an idea too), but LEDs would add more components to solder a therefor more crammed space. I don't really like that idea.
2.: Yeah I've heard of it, maybe I can add more holes in the Plate to make it more flexible, because I wanted the color accent of the plate on the side as a feature.
3.: I love soldering and I really wanted to solder my own keyboard once, that's why I made it this way.

Offline gipetto

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 16:41:53 »
your kicad pcbnew file seems to be corrupted. when you click on a diode to route it every diode lights up. i don't know of any way to save a file like that, you generally have to start again from scratch, often needing to do the schematic too.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 17:00:56 »
This is the same width as the Austin - it trades the 2u numpad 0 key for a better looking layout without the funny gap next to the right arrow on Austin.

Offline thornkin

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 03:05:52 »
The look is amazing. Like the sandwich look and also the top window. I am interested, depending on price point...

Offline vaf1en

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 03:44:06 »
3.: I love soldering and I really wanted to solder my own keyboard once, that's why I made it this way.
Having the display window at the top is what draws me to this board.
But I really do not like those sentences at the top of the PCB. Would prefer it clean.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 03:45:41 »
Why oh why are there so many decent full size boards.  I love this and am interested but I am going to need to get a 2nd mortgage to cope with all the great boards that are being designed at the minute.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 May 2020, 04:17:09 »
Looks really nice

Offline Kalibrrr

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 05:12:30 »
clean design with the clear part at the top

Offline Thighs

• Thighs#0100
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 21:25:56 »
Custom text PCB? Hell yeah. Love it.

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 01:23:31 »
Small update:
Thanks to everyone, giving me support and helping me with this project!!!
I'm currently in the phase of gathering all the components and making a price estimate. All small bits (screws, standoffs, electrical components) are pretty much in the range of $20-25.
The PCB is another big part. 50% of you (so far) like the idea of custom PCB text. I will talk with a supplier and  probably will get a custom silk version for $20-25 too. Ones who don't like the idea of custom text can leave it empty and get a small decrease in price (am not quite sure how much, but it's probably around $2-$5).
I really want to get this project up and running for less than $380. At the time of posting I only talked to one CNC supplier, who offers me a kit of 25 for like $330 each, however that's only for the Black version. Silver, gray and e-white where loved options too, that's why I have to try my best offering you the best I can. The problem is, that I don't know how much of which kind I can sell, making the estimate hard, because I want to give you the most accurate and less expensive option, so we can all be happy.

Hope you have a great week,
Lord_Rabel

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 06:49:26 »
-New plate
-PCB updated
-First render with components
242030-0

Offline BruceDinh

• Explorer | Artist | Petrolhead
    • ORI CLUB
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 07:50:15 »
That PCB so sick man!!

Love this design

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 08:23:56 »
absolutely love this, the plate layer looks amazing from the sides too

any idea as far as timeline goes? Want one.

Offline TAKUUU

• ISO FR
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 10:11:27 »
Looks very nice

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 11:03:49 »
absolutely love this, the plate layer looks amazing from the sides too

any idea as far as timeline goes? Want one.

Me too xD
The files are all done and Í only make small improvements. I'm currently in the process of pushing the costs down. We'll see how good I do on that

Offline f1

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 11:13:09 »
Looks clean. Everything I was looking for in a compact full size. All the best!

Sent from my smartphone which I have. Case, charger and everything.

Offline penguinspy

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 19:46:51 »
Following this, please offer add-on additional PCB's for those of us likely to mess up something soldering thru-hole components. Thanks!

Offline fraymotif

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 21:33:26 »
I really love this! Austin was the only other compact full size I've ever seen but the price and very limited run put it out of my reach. I actually like the look of this better, with the component window up top. A nice clean look and and a definite buy for me!  ;D

Offline PandamanPete

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 06:37:31 »
This looks amazing, definitely interested!

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 11:34:59 »
I'm so sorry to say, that my idea of having a top glass windows probably isn't coming around. The problem is, that the factories I contacted don't make such small pieces with holes for a reasonable price. I've already figured out a way to sick with the 4 Standoffs and having no sag. But sadly it's probably going to be acrylic.
I hope you understand, however if you know a glass factory, that would do something this special feel free for letting me know.

With that said, have a great week!
Lord_Rabel

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 15:23:02 »
I'm so sorry to say, that my idea of having a top glass windows probably isn't coming around. The problem is, that the factories I contacted don't make such small pieces with holes for a reasonable price. I've already figured out a way to sick with the 4 Standoffs and having no sag. But sadly it's probably going to be acrylic.
I hope you understand, however if you know a glass factory, that would do something this special feel free for letting me know.

With that said, have a great week!
Lord_Rabel

So just to confirm, we'll still have a small window, it's just now going to be made of acrylic instead of glass?

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 23:17:58 »
So just to confirm, we'll still have a small window, it's just now going to be made of acrylic instead of glass?
Correct the window will still be there just acrylic instead of glass

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 23:20:42 »
if i'm gonna have that giant forehead i want a whole nav cluster

the only time i use a fullsize is when i'm using excel for work, for which i do use the nav cluster
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline stein3

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 23:31:59 »
You could get around the glass issue by having it slide into place through a slot in one of the sides. Bonus is that the glass could be standard rectangular which would be WAY cheaper to cut.

I'd also love to see some open through-hole slots to add optional LED lighting to the component window... just a circuit with resistor and LED, bonus points if it can be driven off the MCU.

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 09:29:51 »
You could get around the glass issue by having it slide into place through a slot in one of the sides. Bonus is that the glass could be standard rectangular which would be WAY cheaper to cut.

I'd also love to see some open through-hole slots to add optional LED lighting to the component window... just a circuit with resistor and LED, bonus points if it can be driven off the MCU.

But with a slide in solution I would destroy the seamless look. Lighting in the Top compartment would, in my eyes, destroy the minimal look too. But you should be able to mod it to your liking, there would be enough space

Offline manaorme

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:22:06 »
Don't set the quantity limit too low plz.
I can find lots of gb running less than 100, too hard to get one :confused:
Also the price no more than $450 will be great.

Offline musdem

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:43:49 »
Just missed out on the Austin R2, though I think this board is more my style. Hopefully I will be able to jump in on this one it looks fantastic!

Offline Xdoc6

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 13:20:33 »
Based on how fast Austin sold out, I don’t think you should be concerned about the demand for a custom full size.

Offline musdem

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 14:52:59 »
Based on how fast Austin sold out, I don’t think you should be concerned about the demand for a custom full size.
I have a feeling it sold out so fast because there are so few choices so those who want one will really jump on a GB fast.

Offline roguesystem087

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 01:02:30 »
pretty dope, if feel the top bit might make the keyboard feel really large on the desk.
But if you can pull it off and make the keyboard some what affordable,
that... would be a pretty nice aesthetic touch to something that wouldn't normally have that top glass/acylic area (forgive me for not knowing the exact terminology for this see through area, seems to be more common on smaller boards but i have no idea what its for other than looking cool).

I do have one criticism tho, is there anyway to refine the logo for the brass weight?
so that it looks less ... 'texty' ? Or slightly more minimal branding if u know what i mean

Offline amarotea

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 03:36:42 »
I too find 1800s and compact full boards hard to find. Definitely watching.

Offline FRANCO

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 05:33:10 »
Alps compatible?

Offline Lord_Rabel

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 10:39:59 »
Hey,
The last week and a half weren't that great, that's why I have to submit, that I am not able to fulfill a GB on my own.
On the one hand because of my lack of knowing how to do a GB and on the other hand because of personal stuff.
If somehow there is one wanting to work with me on releasing it, I would be happy to collaborate. However as it is now, I'm not able to.
I'm really sorry, I would have wanted the board too.

Have a nice weekend
Lord_Rabel

Offline TibtibThePrincess

• Look but don't buy
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 12:35:03 »
Hey,
The last week and a half weren't that great, that's why I have to submit, that I am not able to fulfill a GB on my own.
On the one hand because of my lack of knowing how to do a GB and on the other hand because of personal stuff.
If somehow there is one wanting to work with me on releasing it, I would be happy to collaborate. However as it is now, I'm not able to.

Have a nice weekend
Lord_Rabel

Sad to hear this I was looking forward to this.
I hope you can get things together and run this in the future.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline atxk

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 21:37:54 »
Will there be support for split backspace and/or split right shift?
Looking forward to seeing how this progresses, have been wanting a nice looking fullsize for a while now, this looks like it would be it!  ;D

Offline musdem

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 22:26:11 »
Hey,

Have a nice weekend
Lord_Rabel

Hey I'm not sure if I'd be of help but I'd love to see this board actually go through to GB so if you'd like please PM me with the help you'd need and I'll let you know if I could be of help or at least point you in the right direction of someone who can.

Offline Sylvestyeo

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 23 May 2020, 17:44:50 »
+1 would love to see this turn live too!

Offline nuclearzcy

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 01 June 2020, 11:48:11 »
hey,I like the design very much,but what I want to know most is whether this product will be sold to China,is there a vendor?