Author Topic: Searching, looking, choosing a mechanical keyboard.  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Av180

Searching, looking, choosing a mechanical keyboard.
« on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:01:20 »
Hello, my name is Adam and I am super interested in my first mechanical gaming keyboard. Ide like to start off with saying, I want Cherry Browns! I have looked for many Cherry Browns for a couple days now. Ones that I have found that catch my eye are:
Filco
Ducky
WASD Keyboards
Das Keyboards

I am interested in buying a Filco but I live in Canada. If there is a site that ships internationally ( does amazon.com ship internationally? ) please post :3.
Ducky is also a great brand for mechanical keyboards, but am also searching for one that can ship to Canada.
WASD Keyboards ship internationally and have great feedback. If I have to resort to it then that is what I may do.
I have looked at Das. Seen many reviews but come to a conclusion that they are expensive, and they have the gloss which I am not a big fan of.

I do not want a Rosewill/Corsair/Coolermaster/Steelseries so no suggestions please.

If anybody could be nice enough to search and help me than thanks to all of you!
-Adam

KMAC 62g Clear
Poker 2 Stock Red
Leopold FC200RE Stock Clear

Offline flyball

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:03:37 »
amazon for the filcos
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Av180

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:04:49 »
I looked at Amazon, do they sell the not tenkeyless version in browns or just blues and blacks?

KMAC 62g Clear
Poker 2 Stock Red

Offline Av180

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:08:24 »
the WASD keyboards seem very similar and comparable to the filcos. the filcos are 159 in US which is about 170 in Canada plus tax and shipping which is way too much. WASDs are 120~. Is it worth it to go to the filcos. Plus i dont see any filco browns :l

KMAC 62g Clear
Poker 2 Stock Red

Offline Av180

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:31:56 »
bump it

KMAC 62g Clear
Poker 2 Stock Red

Offline Supertoaster

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:35:25 »
There is also the Quickfire Storm which is roughly on par with the quality of Filco for much cheaper. But I think only ones with MX Blues are available in America ATM (search at Amazon or Ebay)

if you can find the others they come in MX Black and MX Brown

Offline lorem3k

• http://twitter.com/#!/lorem3k
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:39:37 »
Leopold keyboards are on sale for $89 right now at Elitekeyboards. Shipping to Canada is about $30 plus customs fee though.
Leopold FC200RT/AWN | Logitech G400 | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | Pounds in the fridge, hundred stacks in the armoire

Offline daniel0731ex

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:40:03 »
QuickFire.
"I hated the Blackwidow. Hated, hated, hated, hated, hated the Blackwidow. Hated it. Hated every cheapening feeble useless user-insulting gimmicks of it. Hated the keycap font that thought anyone would like it. Hated the marketing pretense to the keyboard by its belief that anyone would be impressed by it."

Roger Exbert - The Number One Keyboard Critic On The Planet.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:41:11 »
Adam! Welcome to Geekhack. All of those keyboards are very good choices and it is surely up to you to pick the style that you like. Picking the switch right off the bat should make this process easier for you.

Now, the issue with being in Canada is nobody who makes things likes it there and in turn it costs a fortune to get what you want shipped to America's Hat. As of late a member of Geekhack, who now has very favorable feedback, began a forwarding service (its free too!) to get items shipped internationally. What he does is uses his Amazon Prime account, which gives him free 2-day shipping from Amazon and then can, in turn, ship items to Canada for about $15. The link to his buy-section is http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?27305-(Free)-US-shipping-forwarding-service. Good luck with getting your keyboard; once you have it typing becomes fun again.
I like my Browns more than my Blues.

Offline brkim1324

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:45:15 »
I tried Das, Filco and Ducky. Each has its charms.
Das Looks great from distance, but when close.. well the outer board itself is not scratch resistant at all. No matter how you want to keep your keyboard look brand as new, Das will get some scratches. But when it comes to typing experience, it's great. I would say in some aspects, peronally, better than Filco.
Also it provides with 2 USB ports, but I don't know if you "really" need them. I did use them, but didn't matter so much.

Filco is renowned for its excellent overall quality. It's expensive but great overall. It's just what you expect. Very solid. For cons.. there's really nothing much to the overall quality, but it's missing extra features like detachable cables, media functions, or any other. Military style Filco does have media functions though.

Ducky has all kinds of keyboards with different keycaps too. Some provide multimedia functions (volume control), and some has PBT keycaps on. It's just keycaps are made of PBT material which is known for longer lasting than normal ABS keycaps, and provides different typing feeling than normal ABS material keycaps (Filco uses normal ABS keycaps).

Personally, I would go with Filco or Ducky.

Offline Av180

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 15:51:20 »
I want Filcos but the overall total will be around $200. Which is way too expensive. Shipping on the WASD keyboards also comes to around $150 than the conversion to our Canadian Currency. I want to keep my budget low, but I just cant help paying $200 for filcos on the international shipping from Amazon, but its just too damn expensive to get anything to Canada. My parents are barely allowing me to get the WASD, and wait till I tell them how much the shipping costs. Filcos worth it paying $200 to get it to Canada?

KMAC 62g Clear
Poker 2 Stock Red

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 16:35:51 »
Quote from: Av180;524602
I want Filcos but the overall total will be around $200. Which is way too expensive. Shipping on the WASD keyboards also comes to around $150 than the conversion to our Canadian Currency. I want to keep my budget low, but I just cant help paying $200 for filcos on the international shipping from Amazon, but its just too damn expensive to get anything to Canada. My parents are barely allowing me to get the WASD, and wait till I tell them how much the shipping costs. Filcos worth it paying $200 to get it to Canada?

Like I said before... WhiteFireDragon will get you a Filco to Canada for ~$150 or so.
I like my Browns more than my Blues.

Offline Dan Hibiki

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 17:02:33 »
Of those, I guess the cheapest you can get is the DAS Silent. It costs around 114CAD at directcanada.com with shipping included and I don't think you can get it much cheaper than that.

I almost got one, but ended up with the Rosewill with Cherry Blacks because it was significantly cheaper (80CAD). Otherwise, I would have got the DAS with Browns.

Offline HaiiYaa

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 17:50:58 »
you can get the cm storm quickfire rapid in canada cheap

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=67069&vpn=SGK-4000-GKCL1-US&manufacture=COOLERMASTER

but if it have to be one of those i would advice you to get the das as its pretty cheap there also