Author Topic: Next GH-brewed KB design - 'The Light' (open for discussion)  (Read 108769 times)

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
Next GH-brewed KB design - 'The Light' (open for discussion)
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 17:32:47 »
There are technically 4 holes in the front of the switch so you could bend the side 2 into them. As to whether there are 3mm RGB I could swear I've seen them somewhere. But they weren't cheap...
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 17:33:34 »
The 3mm LEDs that claim to be RGB do not have external control of the RGB, they cycle on their own.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 18:02:23 »
Quote from: Barn;506708
What about RGB LEDs and a micro controller allowing each key's colour to be customised?

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

looks like teensy 2.0 only has 5 PWM pins (? correct me if I'm wrong).  Is there are a better choice (anything feasible) for this purpose?
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 18:07:14 »
Quote from: digitalleftovers;506725
looks like teensy 2.0 only has 5 PWM pins (? correct me if I'm wrong).  Is there are a better choice (anything feasible) for this purpose?

Probably not many other ways you can use them, but you can't control that many things off of the 5 pins.

Can't even control 2 RGB LED's (full color control) with 5 pins...
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 18:29:51 »
Quote from: lysol;506683
My personal wish list...
PCB mount, I don't want to have to deal with a plate.
Layout similar to the Apple IIgs keyboard. Or essentially a Poker with a tenkey. Board designed in such a way I can just mount it straight onto acrylic, sort of like the Neo Zelia.
For LED I would like the ability to use RGB led, so I can change color on any key or groups.

I doubt many people would also want this, but there is my 2 cents.

Im up for the "Poker withe  Tenkey" but minus the Pokers layout and have the Home system Cluster be toggleable with the numpad. I believe I threy together a TKL idea like that for WASD. Though I dont know if that is going anywhere...

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 18:31:39 »
also the teensy can fit under the spacebar with finagling thats is what is currently being pursued with the DOX.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 18:39:47 »
I'm not so keen on that layout. I like the classic ones.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 18:47:57 »
Quote from: hazeluff;506759
I'm not so keen on that layout. I like the classic ones.

classic ones? if your referring to the poker I hate its layout 2 I will never buy one and would never use the layout with something like this.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 18:58:02 »
Thats pretty much what I was thinking of as well. I really like my Pokers, but the 2nd layer does suck. So tack on a numpad to solve that as you then regain the keys with out making it too much larger. Plus you get a numpad too, which a lot of people can't live without. I see no purpose for the redundant nav cluster at all. F-keys are debatable. If adding f-keys i would just assume stack them right on top of the numeric row like the Choc mini, instead of having a space in between to keep it sleeker.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:05:33 »
Quote from: lysol;506780
Thats pretty much what I was thinking of as well. I really like my Pokers, but the 2nd layer does suck. So tack on a numpad to solve that as you then regain the keys with out making it too much larger. Plus you get a numpad too, which a lot of people can't live without. I see no purpose for the redundant nav cluster at all. F-keys are debatable. If adding f-keys i would just assume stack them right on top of the numeric row like the Choc mini, instead of having a space in between to keep it sleeker.
You could then do what they did with the realforce numpad and put some useful keys up there...

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:06:16 »
I mean I like full 104 layout the most.

Don't like the Function keys removed. I don't mind it being stacked right above. But didn't someone say they wanted to use like a cheap case. In that case It would be better to use normal full-layout.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:08:56 »
Quote from: hazeluff;506787
I mean I like full 104 layout the most.

Don't like the Function keys removed. I don't mind it being stacked right above. But didn't someone say they wanted to use like a cheap case. In that case It would be better to use normal full-layout.
I like the function row for many things and you can on the fn layer make the 13-24 to have lots of resignable keys

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:09:19 »
Uh yeah, so where are those cheap cases found?  Someone had said g80-3000 and I go to ebay and look to see the cheapest is $90.  Errr wha?
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:11:12 »
Hey I just thought of another thing to add to a 104 version. MEDIA KEYS! Right above/below the 3 "lock" LEDs. They would be microswitches like in a mouse, and a potentiometer? knob for volume!
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:11:18 »
Quote from: alaricljs;506790
Uh yeah, so where are those cheap cases found?  Someone had said g80-3000 and I go to ebay and look to see the cheapest is $90.  Errr wha?
Might as well use a barebones WASD then....

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:12:12 »
You can get g81-3000 for like $20 a lot of times. I don't like those though, they are WAY bigger than necessary. Might be smarter to make it fit in a $5 logitech shell.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:12:43 »
Quote from: The_Ed;506791
Hey I just thought of another thing to add to a 104 version. MEDIA KEYS! Right above/below the 3 "lock" LEDs. They would be microswitches like in a mouse, and a potentiometer? knob for volume!

you can easily put meadia keys in any layer or are you trying to not have any layer which i think is pointless as that is the main reason i like custom keyboards...

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:13:12 »
Volume knobs for media control are actually just rotary encoders or even more simple a mechanical arrangement that pulses 2 different switches depending on direction.  The signal to the computer is just Vol+ and Vol-, not Vol NN or Vol %%  :(   So no pot needed.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:18:35 »
g81-3000 cases are the same as g80-3000 cases. And you can get them for cheaper than $20. I know the knobs aren't potentiometers, but I just can't think of what the name for that knob is at the moment. Why would you want less keys on a custom keyboard? The more keys the better, I don't have to constantly push modifiers then.
R.I.P.ster

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:24:21 »
Quote from: The_Ed;506801
g81-3000 cases are the same as g80-3000 cases. And you can get them for cheaper than $20. I know the knobs aren't potentiometers, but I just can't think of what the name for that knob is at the moment. Why would you want less keys on a custom keyboard? The more keys the better, I don't have to constantly push modifiers then.
Find a termainal keyboard case for a reasonable price then should fit you perfectly!

That is not what I am looking for at all. I would like to plan a keyboard that is close to a default layout so its reasonably close but phases together the home cluster and the number pad and other wasted space to allow more functionality in a smaller space.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:25:32 »
Quote from: The_Ed;506801

For a TKL/Compact (even smaller). We are trying to get all the functionality  of a full-size onto a keyboard that is smaller. But for a full layout, it pretty much has what everyone needs, but for adding even more keys just for volume and media keys, I don't think it's worth it.

I like the volume nob, but I think that would be better off as another mod that was like a Headphone + Mic + USB hub.

Quote from: TheProfosist;506807
That is not what I am looking for at all. I would like to plan a keyboard that is close to a default layout so its reasonably close but phases together the home cluster and the number pad and other wasted space to allow more functionality in a smaller space.

Pretty much sums what I feel. But I don't agree with packing them closer. Tho thinking of it, we would get a few more keys on the function row. And maybe fill the 5 slots under the home cluster.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:27:54 by hazeluff »

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:29:15 »
Hey TheProfosist you've had my moogle2 capslock in your possession for 67 days now... When is it ever going to get done? I got a vintage cherry unstepped capslock and modded it my self a while ago because I was tired of waiting. I want to be able to compare our modding. Here's mine:

Interesting... it looks like you PMed me while I was typing this. Well I hope it'll finally be in my hands soon.

Edit by TheProfosist: sorry, it is drying right now.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 February 2012, 20:35:08 by TheProfosist »
R.I.P.ster

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:32:15 »
I think adding another column onto the home cluster is necessary to get a proper numpad other wise were basically making a backlight Phantom 7bit using my layout as a reference....

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:35:39 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;506814
I think adding another column onto the home cluster is necessary to get a proper numpad other wise were basically making a backlight Phantom 7bit using my layout as a reference....

Wait you're thinking of like TKL + one column?. I'm thinking Full layout. @_@

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 19:37:31 »
It looks like 104 is a no-go on this thread... WHY?!!!...
R.I.P.ster

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 20:01:10 »
Quote from: The_Ed;506820

Its a go with me ><

I mean since we've gotten the other 2 common layouts, we should have a 104 layout.

@Profosist: Why would you want PHANTOM + 1 Column. Its hardly any difference from the phantom...

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 20:09:47 »
People always complain about "wasted space"... So does that mean everybody has a 2 foot wide cubicle for their computer at home? It is about time a full 104 custom keyboard was designed! Hey... Here's an idea... How about a separate numpad PCB that you only order if you want a full 104? You just push the plug between the 2 PCBs together!
R.I.P.ster

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 20:15:54 »
Quote from: The_Ed;506834
People always complain about "wasted space"... So does that mean everybody has a 2 foot wide cubicle for their computer at home? It is about time a full 104 custom keyboard was designed! Hey... Here's an idea... How about a separate numpad PCB that you only order if you want a full 104? You just push the plug between the 2 PCBs together!

It could work, Tho the cheapest way would be to use wires to hook them up. The main thing good about the 104 is that it gives us the room to put in the extra stuff we need for the lighting and the teensy(?).

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #78 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 20:18:33 »
Wires are fine. And there could also be an optional media key PCB. The space and price issues are why I say the g80/g81 -3000 cases are the best option.
R.I.P.ster

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 20:22:33 »
Quote from: The_Ed;506839
Wires are fine. And there could also be an optional media key PCB. The space and price issues are why I say the g80/g81 -3000 cases are the best option.

Thing is, when we separate the two, we need to find a way to keep it stable in the case. I believe we should stick to just a normal 104 layout, and try to integrate the fully controllable lighting.
Keep things general and applicable to more people.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 20:30:33 »
Quote from: hazeluff;506819
Wait you're thinking of like TKL + one column?. I'm thinking Full layout. @_@

now im confused!

Quote from: The_Ed;506820

seems like hazeluff wants one...

how about a 104+ like shifty the Fn over fill up the emptiness by the arrows and add some above the numpad? I think it would be easy to mod a WASD case to do that.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 20:31:43 »
I also want a custom numpad with tons of additional functions that idea has been floating around in my head but that would be a separate project.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 20:37:51 »
So if I have this straight a 104+ will have:
+ 5 keys around the arrows
+ 4 more keys above the numpad with the 3 "lock" LEDs directly above those
+ media keys and knob in the center above the F keys

I'd have to cut a lot of extra holes in a -3000 case for those extra keys...
R.I.P.ster

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 20:44:50 »
Quote from: The_Ed;506851
So if I have this straight a 104+ will have:
+ 5 keys around the arrows
+ 4 more keys above the numpad with the 3 "lock" LEDs directly above those
+ media keys and knob in the center above the F keys

I'd have to cut a lot of extra holes in a -3000 case for those extra keys...

if you  shrink the F rom you get 2 more keys and a easyier layout as it matches up with the num row...

and the only new hole you would have to make would be the one for the 4 above the numpad. the ones above the arrows just connect the home cluster to the arrows which is easy. ill have to do that on my PLU cases for the 7bit layout to work, as well as cutting out the bits between the F row keys

you dont need the separate media keys just use some of the ones that got added...

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 20:49:10 »
Ah I could use those keys, but what about the volume knob? Where does that go?
R.I.P.ster

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 20:57:21 »
Quote from: The_Ed;506863
Ah I could use those keys, but what about the volume knob? Where does that go?

I dont know mine is on my DAC ;)

You could use keys for that as well...  but if you really want a knob you could get one of those griffin powermate's im just not keen on having a knob on a keyboard.

Offline digitalleftovers

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 21:05:48 »
A design like this would give you room for EVERYTHING
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 39393[/ATTACH]

For people who want 'WEY' to much stuff on their keyboard?  amiright?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Keyboards:
Filco 104 MX Brown (Otaku) - FKBN104M/NPEK 黒い空
Ducky TKL MX Brown/Blue 80% (White) - 1087-F 白の空
KBC Poker MX Red with PBT Key Caps - PFCN6000

"Consumers use touch screens.  Producers use keyboards."

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 21:07:51 »
For the volume nob thing, I'd love to have a media control box. but not on this keyboard. May start idea for that, its a simple mod, I wouldn't use a teensy.

As for the the keyboard design to allow for keys above arrow and above numpad, I an in agreement. (unless we can't fit all the lighting circuitry). But definitely should allow for the 5 keys above arrow keys.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 21:09:06 »
Quote from: digitalleftovers;506881
(Attachment Link) 39393[/ATTACH]

TOO MUCH!!! OMG..WAIT.

ITS A SCREEN OMG I CAN LOOK AT YOUTUBE ON MY KEYBOARD!!! I WANT ONE!.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 21:10:32 »
Quote from: digitalleftovers;506881
(Attachment Link) 39393[/ATTACH]

I think it would be kind of fun to have the top one I do think they could have fit more keys.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 21:13:05 »
we could do a nice programmable touch screen there....

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 21:13:37 »
I have klipsch 2.1 computer speakers and Sennheiser HD 650 headphones that plug into a FiiO E7/E9 DAC/AMP combo. I myself do not need the volume knob, my dad does. And he already owns a griffin powermate because I had suggested that to him. For future computer builds I may need the knob myself too. That is why it would be cool to have it. Plus there are quite a few people that complain about not having the media keys/volume knob on most mechs.
R.I.P.ster

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 21:17:10 »
Quote from: The_Ed;506895
I have klipsch 2.1 computer speakers and Sennheiser HD 650 headphones that plug into a FiiO E7/E9 DAC/AMP combo. I myself do not need the volume knob, my dad does. And he already owns a griffin powermate because I had suggested that to him. For future computer builds I may need the knob myself too. That is why it would be cool to have it. Plus there are quite a few people that complain about not having the media keys/volume knob on most mechs.

I see. Can we design a media/full controllable LEDs keyboard? But the knob...someone needs to find a simple way of adding it to the board.

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 21:24:41 »
Just put a small knob where 1 of those "extra" key spaces are. And we could have a firmware thing to make the LEDs respond in a spectrograph to music!
R.I.P.ster

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 21:33:50 »
Quote from: The_Ed;506903
Just put a small knob where 1 of those "extra" key spaces are. And we could have a firmware thing to make the LEDs respond in a spectrograph to music!

If we input music into the controller...

As for the knob, it probably fit in one of the "spaces". But someone will have to figure out how the know the knob works and how to mount it themselves. If it can act like 2 switches (one for Vol+ and one for Vol-) and we can hook it to the board as 2 "switches".

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 21:35:38 »
Take apart a griffin to figure it out right?
R.I.P.ster

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 21:37:08 »
Quote from: The_Ed;506916
Take apart a griffin to figure it out right?

Don't have to, just need to find what kind of knob it is and how it interfaces with circuitry.

http://hackedgadgets.com/2010/02/01/rotary-encoder-and-shift-registers-explained/:

It spits out grey code for the "position" it is in.

So you'd have to make something in the controller that keeps track of the position and when it changes Inc/Dec the volume. It is possible. You just need to mount it nicely.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 February 2012, 21:44:33 by hazeluff »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 23:34:04 »
No knob for me please.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 23:41:13 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;507025
No knob for me please.

No worries, if we do go with the keys abuv numpad. The nob person can put it there instead of 2 switches.

And even without it he can wire it to the area above arrows.

I'm considering a knob for myself now...@_@ I've got a couple of the nice know peices that go on the spinny bit.

Offline Parak

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 02 February 2012, 23:45:00 »
Hmm.. I'm kinda tempted to craft this madness (cobbled together in a spreadsheet in a few minutes):

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 39405[/ATTACH]