Author Topic: New switches from Matias -- 2 years in the making  (Read 296726 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Re: New switches from Matias -- 2 years in the making
« Reply #200 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 03:04:26 »
so, this is the Orange switch version, right? will the white switch one come later?

first of all congrats for the great release! the following are my first impressions just looking at the product page

the good
- great effort in making new mech switches, thanks!
- I like the layout with small winkey and inset LED
- smart FN+esc media key
- I like the mac version cord
- Mac version legend is very nice (better than PC version)

the bad
- glossy case for PC version
- don't like the faux-metal case of the Mac version, you probably wanted to match the mac style (alu+black) but the result seems a bit cheap, but it's just an impression from the photos maybe it looks better in person

the "maybe it's just me"
- no tenkeyless version
- USB ports, hate them in a keyboard
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 September 2012, 03:30:18 by Matt3o »

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #201 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 03:46:40 »
What harm do USB ports actually do? I wish I had them the other day – I'd taken my TP3 home, which I'd been using as a hub including having my main PC keyboard connected into it! Trying to reach around the back of my PC was too difficult, so I had to unplug the keyboard for a while to connect up a USB drive (it's connected to a front port).

What's more concerning is missing keys. The lack of a context menu key is sad, but I don't honestly use that key often enough to be concerned. Some people will be annoyed that RWin is gone, but I'm not consciously aware of using it, which doesn't mean that I don't … I suppose I'll simply have to find out.

The glossy case looks really nice actually.

As for tenkeyless, hey, there aren't even ISO versions of fullsize yet ;-) Besides, the switches will be sold separately, so you could for example convert all the horrible FILCO Zero keyboards with XM switches into Matias switch keyboards and get TKL that way (which I imagine people are going to be doing). The direct availability of switches puts Matias on level ground with Cherry in terms of other manufacturers being able to sell boards, and the potential for community projects, which for some reason never took off with Fukka switches.

And the switches are not orange – the orange dye was affecting smoothness, so all the sliders are white. The tactile and clicky switches are still differentiable somehow, Matias said, but I don't know how yet! (Personally I would have gone with cream as that's the conventional colour for damped tactile, but otherwise, an unused hue, e.g. violet, maroon, or even better, red ALPS!!! How cool would that be ... Trouble is, if you changed the colour once better dye is found, you'd cause even more confusion.)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #202 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 03:55:59 »
What harm do USB ports actually do?

I have USB ports on the front of the PC case, if I want an USB hub I get a good powered USB hub. But I guess it's a good selling point for Matias, they probably did their homeworks.

The glossy case looks really nice actually.

that goes to personal preference I guess.

Besides, the switches will be sold separately

that's the best part of it!

And the switches are not orange

I seem to recall that PC version has orange, Mac version is available in both orange and white... seeing that they define it "silent" I thought they had orange. I might be completely wrong though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 September 2012, 04:02:51 by Matt3o »

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 03:59:43 »
The plan was for white clicky sliders (per convention) and orange tactile sliders (orange was used by ALPS for tactile, but the damped tactile switches had cream sliders).

The sliders are now all white – the orange dye was giving the plastic too much friction.
Bore Awards

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 04:01:35 »
Okay, the pages are up...

http://matias.ca/quietpro

The press release will go out tomorrow, but you heard it hear first.   :-)

Damn Matias...Sexy as hell, especially the Black One.  I always knew the best came in a dark package.

I think I'll buy one.  Even though you are only selling "QUIET" versions first.  I would love to get my hands on super loud clickers something akin to a Model-F in full flight.

Although I'll see how long the key legends last after a few hours of typing.  I'm glad you decided to actually release another NEW keyboard to the market which should sell nicely.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 September 2012, 04:04:31 by Elrick »

Offline pasph

« Reply #205 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 04:24:41 »
We have to start some kind of Alps Phantom project (PC user here).
Or Matias give us a DIY kit version.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline rayuki

• RAAAAAAR
« Reply #206 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 13:08:16 »
im so in. these are pure sex! do you do international shipping to australia?
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 September 2012, 13:12:23 by rayuki »

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
« Reply #207 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 15:31:45 »
Thanks for all the positive feedback...  :-)

We do ship to Australia.

UPS Ground in the US is cheaper than US Post (even though it's quicker) because our warehouse is run by UPS, so there are efficiencies that lead to a discount.

We're considering doing a PC version of the loud clicky model, if there's enough interest.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #208 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 15:45:47 »
I'd love a clicky PC version. :D
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline therecorder

« Reply #209 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 17:20:21 »
Thanks for all the positive feedback...  :-)

We do ship to Australia.

UPS Ground in the US is cheaper than US Post (even though it's quicker) because our warehouse is run by UPS, so there are efficiencies that lead to a discount.

We're considering doing a PC version of the loud clicky model, if there's enough interest.

Why don't you just do a kit for the MAC version - keycaps and software.  You could also do it for the
PC version, for those with MACs who want a quiet version.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 September 2012, 17:32:32 by therecorder »

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #210 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 18:05:54 »
Has anyone been able to find any user reviews?  I've only found corporate type, homogenized reviews.  I need a youtube video, user review, etc...to push me over the edge.  I want to know how quiet pro's new switches compare to something like the dampened cream alps in my sgi kb.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #211 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 18:14:14 »
Just checked, found only this one:

Sound quality is terrible (heavy lossy compression) – on the one hand it's nice to know that it's not actually quiet (seems to have a healthy clack to it), but at the same time I was actually hoping for something really quiet so that it's less obtrusive at work (feel but not hear).

Ultimately my goal is feel – I will be comparing it to PCB-mounted MX clears which are relatively quiet for mechanical, and meaty compared to browns and blues.

(And yes, the silver finish is really tacky. The gloss black finish is the best you'll ever get out of plastic – looks fabulous.)
Bore Awards

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #212 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 18:16:08 »
Sounds lovely....wonder what it feels like compared to the old school dampened alps (e.g. apple extendeds, silicon graphics, dell, etc.).
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline scriz

« Reply #213 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 19:28:53 »
Looks like you guys got some press on Engadget.  http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/20/matias-quiet-pro-mechanical-keyboard/

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #214 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 19:30:40 »
I just ordered mine and i should be getting it next week. I will make a video review the same day I get it and it will be in good quality. I got the PC one because i like the look even though i use a MAC. I don't see why they can't sell MAC keys so we can replace the Window keys.  :rolleyes:

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #215 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 01:34:31 »

wow, I wouldn't call it silent (fortunately!) :)

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #216 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 10:36:44 »
I got an order placed last night. Looking forward to trying it! I'll be sure to share my thoughts.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #217 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 11:04:09 »
UK PC version pre-ordered ready for January :)
Bore Awards

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #218 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 11:53:04 »

Sound quality is terrible (heavy lossy compression) – on the one hand it's nice to know that it's not actually quiet (seems to have a healthy clack to it), but at the same time I was actually hoping for something really quiet so that it's less obtrusive at work (feel but not hear).
How did that guy get hold of the keyboard? How do we know that it is not just a Tactile Pro - Silver and Black edition, with the slider and click leaf exchanged with those from another Alps switch?

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #219 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 13:16:47 »
What I want to see is a picture of this new switch.  Has there been any pictures of the new switch posted anywhere?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline therecorder

« Reply #221 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 06:05:38 »
Reread my previous post (Reply #209), and realized that it was hastily written and incorrect.  What I meant to say is:

People with MACs can purchase a White Tactile or a Silver Quiet, but not a Black Quiet.  Offer them a kit that includes a "full" set of MAC keycaps and software to make it possible for them to purchase and use a Black Quiet with a MAC.

For people with PCs, offer them kits of "full" sets of PC keycaps and software to make it possible for them to purchase and use a White Tactile or a Silver Quiet.

offer=they can purchase a kit that they can install; different prices if they want it installed at keyboard purchase time.  In all cases, if they wish, and for a price, they get to keep the extra keycap set.
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 September 2012, 06:21:07 by therecorder »

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #222 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 08:24:19 »
Has anyone been able to find any user reviews?  I've only found corporate type, homogenized reviews.
A Google search turns up about 500 repeats of the engadget announcement.

This cult of mac story isn't a review, but...
I have a kind of love/hate relationaship with these clicky keyboards. I love the look of them, and I love the feel, but I don’t like the huge number pads which force me to place my trackpad like five feet over to the right.

(snip)

But some of you work in offices, or get startled by the sound of your own typing (for the latter, I recommend less coffee. Or more scotch during working hours).
The review should be interesting  :D
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #223 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 09:39:41 »
You can find him on deskthoriy.

Offline Matias

« Reply #224 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 10:03:11 »
Sorry for the radio silence.  We got a crazy big response from the announcement yestday, and I was a little tied up dealing with all the emails.  I'm still not done going through them all.

I'm putting together some videos today comparing the sound of the new switch vs. Cherry and Clicky ALPS.  I'll also get some photos of the switch posted.

Regarding Mac vs. PC, you can use the Black PC keyboard on a Mac without issue.  To configure the Win & Alt keys to be Option & Command, simply swap the position of Command & Alt in Apple menu  >  System Preferences  >  Keyboard  >  Modifier Keys.  It should look like the attached screen cap.

To use the Mac keyboard on a PC is problematic, since there's no Insert key or LEDs on Num Lock and Scroll lock, and the Win and Alt keys are swapped.

Will post back again later today...

Offline Burz

« Reply #225 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 11:21:52 »
Okay, the same guy has posted a comparison video between QP and Cherry boards incl. Majestouch:
...its still the same low sound quality, though.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #226 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 12:28:32 »
^ All those boards in the video are fairly quiet when compared to a clicky switch (e.g. white alps, blue alps, cherry blues, buckling spring, etc.).  Honestly, I think the true test will be a side-by-side comparison with a dampened cream alps board...both for sound comparisons and key feel comparisons. 
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Burz

« Reply #227 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 12:35:13 »
^ All those boards in the video are fairly quiet when compared to a clicky switch (e.g. white alps, blue alps, cherry blues, buckling spring, etc.).  Honestly, I think the true test will be a side-by-side comparison with a dampened cream alps board...both for sound comparisons and key feel comparisons.

But notice the Matias was quieter still.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #228 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 12:40:49 »

But notice the Matias was quieter still.

I can't really tell from that video which of those keyboards were quieter.  I do know from first hand experience that all of those boards (excluding the Matias one as I do not own one) are what I would consider quiet (at least for mech boards).  He's testing those keyboards out of different surfaces so the acoustics of the boards in that video is null imo.  Plus, the microphone still sucks in that video. 

Matias is billing this switch as having the tactility of a clicky switch (e.g. white alps) but the sound signature of a dampened switch (e.g. dampened cream alps).  They go even further to claim that it's the quietest mech switch available (not counting topres).  So if you tested the Matias next to a white alps switch and a dampened cream alps switch I think you would have a pretty good comparison...both for auditory comparison and tactility/key feel comparisons.
| KBD75 (box reds)

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #229 on: Sat, 22 September 2012, 14:54:07 »
It will be interesting to see it compared with a PCB mount keyboard. That has a very distinct effect of dampening the downstroke sound. I don't know that there's necessary less sound (I don't know whether Matias are comparing sound pressure or perceptual audio levels) but the spectral spread is at least more broad: you get a deep metallic thunk with a G80-3000/clears instead of the sharp plasticky clack of a Majestouch/browns, and it sounds less intrusive even though it's still relatively loud.

I'm surprised how much quieter the CM Storm keyboard is compared to a FILCO – almost as if that, too, is PCB mounted. The sound is clearly damped in some way: the Majestouch 2 in that video has the distinctive FILCO clack, and that's a good reference point.
Bore Awards

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #230 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 19:27:31 »
Matias: IMO since one of your key selling arguments is the 'world's quietest mechanical keyboard', it will be good to put all the know switches side by side inside of an actual quit room. Providing actual dB charts side by side, will be very interesting.

The audio quality of those Youtube videos are very bad and they do not really help to show your potential customers your ultra quiet your switches.

I will love to see it against the Topre S switches
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 September 2012, 19:31:06 by cactux »
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline Burz

« Reply #231 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 21:24:02 »
Matias: IMO since one of your key selling arguments is the 'world's quietest mechanical keyboard', it will be good to put all the know switches side by side inside of an actual quit room. Providing actual dB charts side by side, will be very interesting.

That would be nice to see, but I don't think Matias is necessarily obliged to try any harder than others in this respect. Not when other mfg's are calling their products "Silent" (i.e. zero noise, no sound) which we know is false.

Topre isn't mechanical. That most mechanical keyboard fans also like Topre does not put that switch in the mechanical category. Besides, if Topre is "mechanical" then so are most other keyboards (everything that has moving parts).

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #232 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 21:49:24 »
I will love to see it against the Topre S switches

Same here, would be good to get some decent audio clips.

Plus I think it's good that Matias has released another keyboard out there.  In the world of Mechanical Keyboards it's always good to get a new version coming in from a factory.

Regardless as to whether or not the keyboard is actually that quiet, I will be buying one to help support Matias and his new venture.

Remember to release a TKL version further on down the line.  Need something small but potent on the desk.  8)

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
New switches from Matias -- 2 years in the making
« Reply #233 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 22:11:19 »

That would be nice to see, but I don't think Matias is necessarily obliged to try any harder than others in this respect. Not when other mfg's are calling their products "Silent" (i.e. zero noise, no sound) which we know is false.

Topre isn't mechanical. That most mechanical keyboard fans also like Topre does not put that switch in the mechanical category. Besides, if Topre is "mechanical" then so are most other keyboards (everything that has moving parts).
Please enlighten me with the "official" definition of "mechanical keyboards".

Sure they can say whatever they want. But everything is base on credibility and providing the facts. Like most geeks I work with facts and not with words ;-)

Offline Matias

« Reply #234 on: Sun, 23 September 2012, 23:05:19 »
Thanks for all the comments...

We haven't traditionally done videos on our website, but I know they're more important these days.  I'll be posting a quickie comparison video soon.  We'll be doing a more professional one too, but I want to get something up quick in the mean time, just to fill the vacuum until users start posting their own.

I've read more than a few users questioning how quiet it is.  Most of them are Topre fans.  :)

I don't know how they can expect switches with sound dampeners to be as a loud as switches with built-in clickers, but that's cognitive dissonance for you.

(Just to clarify, I'm not suggesting that Topres have clickers.)

Offline Burz

« Reply #235 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 09:24:48 »
Please enlighten me with the "official" definition of "mechanical keyboards".

Sure they can say whatever they want. But everything is base on credibility and providing the facts. Like most geeks I work with facts and not with words ;-)
Obviously the only one we're going to get is an unofficial, working definition. For now, its safe to say the definition of "mechanical keyboard" is *not* one that hinges on the mundane definition of "mechanical" which includes anything with moving parts. It follows that the definition is specialized and confined to our favorite genre or else it would have to include regular rubber domes (RDs).

Its also safe to say that regular RDs are more "mechanical" than Topre switches in at least one important respect: They have separate parts that come in and out of physical contact with each other to create an electronic signal. Excellent as they are, Topre switches don't even have that.

So if Matias wants to exclude Topre from their working definition of "mechanical keyboard" then more power to 'em. Challenging them on this is very iffy.

Even so, credibility will come from how much people like the Matias switches. That's also how Apple can sell chiclet keyboards and still remain a 'good' designer. Years ago, Apple's credibility was near rock bottom WRT input devices (people hated the mushy keyboards, round mice, etc) and I'm sure that history is one reason why Matias is still in business.

---

Most geeks fetishize that which is utterly sexless and unworkable, and that blinds us to essential probabilities and other facts.

Here's a fact: Designing input devices is an art, and a number of us have gathered here to reject art that became shoddily reproduced to the point of absurdity. We are connoisseurs who will probably never see our tastes reflected in most computer users. So focusing on a definition of "mechanical" with the widest acceptance will be of no help to anyone, especially when what we're really after is that which subjectively feels and sounds good.
 :cool:

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #236 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 09:32:44 »
premising that I'm fine with a pinch of marketing-ese, you could just replace "the world's quietest..." with "the quietest mechanical keyboard we've ever built". Less marketing, more facts :) Haters will stop hating. Lovers will keep loving.

Offline Matias

« Reply #237 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 12:35:00 »
premising that I'm fine with a pinch of marketing-ese, you could just replace "the world's quietest..." with "the quietest mechanical keyboard we've ever built". Less marketing, more facts :) Haters will stop hating. Lovers will keep loving.

The job of marketing is to take a reasonable and compelling message, and phrase it such that it propagates widely.  The main goal is propagation -- not precision.

I think that most people will agree that what we're claiming is reasonable.  Mechanical keyboards are generally noisy.  No other company has done more than the absolute minimal effort (Cherry Brown switches) to make them quiet.

We actually went to the trouble and expense of investing 2+ years to create a new mechanical switch that's quiet enough to make a truly quiet mechanical keyboard.  We didn't call it "silent"; we called is "quiet".

If you really want to be logical, you should be complaining about this product name...  :)

http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-ultimate-silent

Offline Matias

« Reply #238 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 12:38:16 »
Even so, credibility will come from how much people like the Matias switches. That's also how Apple can sell chiclet keyboards and still remain a 'good' designer. Years ago, Apple's credibility was near rock bottom WRT input devices (people hated the mushy keyboards, round mice, etc) and I'm sure that history is one reason why Matias is still in business.

This is true.

Here's a fact: Designing input devices is an art, and a number of us have gathered here to reject art that became shoddily reproduced to the point of absurdity. We are connoisseurs who will probably never see our tastes reflected in most computer users. So focusing on a definition of "mechanical" with the widest acceptance will be of no help to anyone, especially when what we're really after is that which subjectively feels and sounds good.
 :cool:

100% agree.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #240 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 13:05:39 »
I think you are leaving out Topre; as far as I know the silent versions are also silent on the upstroke.

"also" silent on the upstroke? Topre switches were never silent on downstroke to begin with. Compare HHKB and HHKB Type-S ("silent"):

Extreme, I grant you, but you can clearly tell the difference: the "silent" switches cut out the high pitched upstroke sound, but they have no effect on the downstroke sound at all.

Personally I love the sound of PCB mounted clears in my Cherry G80-3000 :-) A nice dampened sound, but sharper and deeper than Topre and definitely metallic. Hopefully the Quiet Pro will have a similar sound but with a better tactile curve than clears.
Bore Awards

Offline Matias

« Reply #241 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 14:05:04 »
Since when were Cherry Browns ever marketed as being a silent switch?  They are listed in the specifications as being "ergonomic."

Also, you can't really blame Cherry as a whole.  If anything, the end result is dependent on what the manufacturers do with the switch.  You can take 3 different keyboards with the same switch and get three different noise levels.  I think this is great because an OEM can make the board as silent or as noisy as requested.

I don't blame Cherry, but manufacturers using Cherry Brown switches routinely market them as being "silent".  I posted a link to the "Das Model S Ultimate Silent Keyboard".

therecorder posted a link to the Razer Stealth, on whose page you'll find this little bit of marketing speak...

Silent mechanical key architecture for superior tactility and faster response

The Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition’s mechanical key architecture provides a distinctive yet silent tactile feedback in form of a light pronounced tap to your fingers giving you an entirely new feel on your gaming keyboard. With an optimized actuation force of 45g and a reduced actuation distance of 2mm, the Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition’s keys allow actuation of your commands faster than any other standard keyboard.

Those are much stronger claims than what we're saying about the Quiet Pro, and those other keyboards are louder and not really tactile.

A decent rubber dome is more tactile and quieter than a Cherry Brown switch.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #242 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 15:00:13 »
I just got mine in the mail today and i am disappointed. I clearly ordered the PC keyboard (the black one) but they sent me a PC keyboard but silver in color (the MAC color but PC keys). It is not the color that i ordered. Now i have to decide if i want to go thru the hassle of getting the right keyboard color or just keep this one. The keys themselves feel nice and easy to press. It is a lot quieter and if i have time later i will post a video.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #243 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 15:22:57 »
UPDATE: I tried to load the video but it is not letting me on this site. I am going to go on YOUTUBE and do it. Sorry.

Offline Matias

« Reply #244 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 15:46:52 »
I just got mine in the mail today and i am disappointed. I clearly ordered the PC keyboard (the black one) but they sent me a PC keyboard but silver in color (the MAC color but PC keys). It is not the color that i ordered. Now i have to decide if i want to go thru the hassle of getting the right keyboard color or just keep this one. The keys themselves feel nice and easy to press. It is a lot quieter and if i have time later i will post a video.

Hi Valerie,

Not sure what you got exactly.  Can you tell me what the part number is on the bottom of the keyboard?

We did a small number of Silver & Black PC keyboards, but I didn't think they'd made it out into the wild.  Only journalists should have received those.

We can certainly replace it if you decide to do that.

Sorry for the mixup.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #245 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 15:50:12 »
PART NUMBER: FK302 120600010   FK 313
Thanks.

Offline Matias

« Reply #246 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 15:55:15 »
PART NUMBER: FK302 120600010   FK 313
Thanks.

Okay, you did get one of the few journalist-only models.

If you want to return it, just contact help@matias.ca and tell them you got an FK313 (silver & black PC) rather than the FK302QPC (black PC) that you ordered.

Again, sorry for the mixup...

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
New switches from Matias -- 2 years in the making
« Reply #247 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 16:06:16 »
@Matias: whenever you are ready to record some videos, could you get 1 video bottoming out and 1 without bottoming out using (browns, topre s, and matias)? I know that it wont be 100% accurate since the keyboard by itself (shell, pcb, etc) plays an important role in isolating the noise. The ideal would be to put all the switches using the same type of board, but that may not be possible without a major change.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #248 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 16:23:53 »
Thanks Matias! I sent the request for an exchange. Appreciate your help. I am using the keyboard to type on and i love it.

Offline furosuto81

• Facebook
« Reply #249 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 18:41:18 »
Personally, I would not mind a Silver & Black PC model ;)
Keyboards: Matias Quiet Pro Matias Quiet Click  |  Apple Extended Keyboard II Dampened White ALPS  |  KBParadise V80 Olivette Matias Quiet Click  |  CMStorm QuickFire TK B&W Special Edition White LED Cherry MX Red  |  Ducky DK9087S Shine 2 TKL White LED Cherry MX Red