Author Topic: [IC] Metal replacement door for IBM 3278  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Bass

• Formerly Forte
[IC] Metal replacement door for IBM 3278
« on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 18:42:53 »
Hi all,

So a while back, kuato on deskthority wanted to take his 3278 restoration one step further than what most others have done: Replacing the plastic manual compartment lid with one made out of metal. What's the point of this, you ask? Perhaps the main benefit is to make it easier to get the entire 3278 powdercoated. Some also say it improves the feel on your wrists, but another big part is making your beamspring feel as heavy and sturdy as it can be.

Original Restoration Thread

He was originally planning on running a group buy for these as others had expressed interest in getting these made, and most machine / sheet metal shops prefer to do these types of projects in bulk. Because the 3278 is one of my favorite boards in my collection and rotation, I decided that I would try and pursue this since there are many shops in my area and kuato seems to have disappeared from the forums. After running around many different places (with some even giving me outrageous estimates -- $500 each!), I have finally found one that is willing to tackle the job at a reasonable cost. The material will be stainless steel based on previous attempts done for kuato and lot_lizard. Here is what I expect based on the quote they sent me:

MOQ of 5 units: ~$200 + shipping and paypal fees
MOQ of 10 units: ~ $150 + shipping and paypal fees

Please let me know if you would be interested or have any suggestions! To make data easier to collect I have added a form here:

https://goo.gl/forms/jordhmrVx3McdEQ53

Note: It should be safe to assume we will hit an MOQ of 10, but $150 is still pricey for a lot of people. Thus I and a few others will continue asking around to see what it would take to lower the price point, ideally to around $50. The IC form has now been updated in order to see how much more interest would be generated if we could reach this price point, since MOQ plays such a big part.
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 August 2018, 00:12:38 by Forte »