Author Topic: Typing for girls with long nails  (Read 47777 times)

Offline Natalie Paige

Re: Typing for girls with long nails
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 14:48:43 »
Most women are keeping them shorter these days anyhow. So many work with keyboards, not to mention more and more are taking formerly male dominated jobs, but a bigger driving aspect now is touch screens. Long nails can make them a royal pain in the neck.

Hi Leslie Ann,

Hear you loud and clear about the touchscreens. That's why resistive is the only way for me as it responds to pressure, not skin. Capacitive wont work with my nails at all :(

Talking about touchscreens (Thanks for the memory jog :) ), how easy would it be to have a keyboard sized/shaped resistive touch slate that you could lay flat and use as a keyboard?

It doesn't even really need to have a screen - Heck you could draw the key positions over the top. But presumably you could program the keyboard controller (Or driver) to spit out keycodes depending on the position on the resistive slate is tapped.

My thinking is that tapping away with nails on a big flat slate is going to cause a lot less nail-stress than actually having to push/actuate key mechanisms with them.

I wonder if there is a way to get something like this custom made, or if there is anything on the market that could be easily adapted to achieve the effect described above?

Thanks again for everyone's input on this!

Natalie x

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 15:11:40 »
Could go this route, I suppose:

Russ

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 16:28:49 »

They are working on a way to project that onto your arm as well.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 16:31:08 »

Show Image

how reliable is this thing.. I'd like to buy one.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 15 March 2013, 17:31:38 »
Not very practical, tp4. I hear they skip or key chatter quite a bit.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline ihasmario

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 00:10:41 »
As much as custom caps would be great to look at, have you considered adjusting what part of your finger tip you type with? The average person is going to have their hands elevated slightly and will type with the edge of the distal phalanx. If you move your keyboard closer to parallel with the floor (by lowering the stand for example) and type towards the bottom of each key on the digital pulp of your finger (the front of the distal phalanx), your nails should be angled in such a way that they miss the keys in front of you. I do this when I have fingerstyle guitar hands, and although my nails aren't as long as yours, it works for me with a minimal hit to speed.

I second the motion of getting an IBM board and removing the outer keycap layer, as it will give you some extra room.

As much as custom caps would be great to look at, have you considered adjusting what part of your finger tip you type with? The average person is going to have their hands elevated slightly and will type with the edge of the distal phalanx. If you move your keyboard closer to parallel with the floor (by lowering the stand for example) and type towards the bottom of each key on the digital pulp of your finger (the front of the distal phalanx), your nails should be angled in such a way that they miss the keys in front of you. I do this when I have fingerstyle guitar hands, and although my nails aren't as long as yours, it works for me with a minimal hit to speed.

I second the motion of getting an IBM board and removing the outer keycap layer, as it will give you some extra room.

Talking about touchscreens (Thanks for the memory jog :) ), how easy would it be to have a keyboard sized/shaped resistive touch slate that you could lay flat and use as a keyboard? It doesn't even really need to have a screen

You could always disassemble a rubber dome board and type directly onto the resistive surface if you want that kind of thing that badly...
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 March 2013, 00:17:40 by tsangan »

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 05:40:50 »
I imagine it's just a design concept - but at least it's a design concept with your problem in mind

http://www.red-dot.sg/en/online-exhibition/concept/?code=715&y=2012&c=11&a=0

You might be able to modify an existing keyboard using http://sugru.com/   There's instructions on the web somewhere of how to make the stuff yourself.

GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 06:56:51 »
I am really sorry but his whole thread seems like a big f***ing joke to me. I mean cmon... there are millions of girls around the world that type on normal keyboards with no issues why would you ever want to invest so much money in making new caps and stuff i dont get it -.-
What the hell am I even doing

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 08:04:05 »
I am really sorry but his whole thread seems like a big f***ing joke to me. I mean cmon... there are millions of girls around the world that type on normal keyboards with no issues why would you ever want to invest so much money in making new caps and stuff i dont get it -.-

The only person I've ever met from Bulgaria was named Stoychou stoychev... is that you?

Offline islisis

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 10:59:30 »
All the hard trying surely scares them away, and from their own thread...

If there's anyone left qualified to answer, could you not make removable plastic nails an option?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 11:13:48 »
The fact that many people use something does not mean that what they're using is optimal, though you'd fit right in at EA.
Oh wait, you're right, billions are using rubberdomes with no problem, why the **** am I using a mechanical board then? Better sell them right away and go back to domes!

Also, how do you know that they don't have any issues? There have been a few concepts on this(like the one hoggy linked), which would indicate that there's room for improvement. Yes, lots of girls, some of which have long nails, use normal keys every day because that's pretty much their only option. It has been like that for a while now and it's not likely to change since the majority doesn't really give a **** about keyboards, which is why mechanicals alone are a niche product, not to mention ergonomic ones like Kinesis boards etc.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 11:21:16 »
Show Image

Does anyone else get the heebie jeebies looking at the drawing? The thought of breaking a nail gives me the shivers. Maybe it's because I have short nails, and the few times I've managed hit them with enough force to break one, it was quite horrendous.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 15:52:47 »
Yes, we type on them, doesn't mean it's easy (chicklet style is a pain in the rear with even mild nail length!).
We also walk around in high heels, dresses, skirts, strapless dresses/swimsuits, and long hair. Should we give up all of that as well?

Does anyone else get the heebie jeebies looking at the drawing? The thought of breaking a nail gives me the shivers. Maybe it's because I have short nails, and the few times I've managed hit them with enough force to break one, it was quite horrendous.
The longer they are, the more likely to break, but also the less likely you will feel it.
With short nails, any break tends to happen right at or near the nail bed, this puts stress on the nail bed, but also can tear the nail bed (PAAAAIN!!!!). Nails themselves are dead, so if they break out away from the nail bed, you only have a small amount of stress on it. Many times I chip and break mine I barely, if at all, feel it, and my nails rarely are over 1/4in long (I'm too physically active with my hands to be able to make them last at that length).

I imagine it's just a design concept - but at least it's a design concept with your problem in mind
Typing on boobs?

I cannot imagine that working well at all, just try typing on a rubber dome with no caps (or take your caps off and try) and you will see what I mean. The landing point for your fingers are too small and you will miss a LOT of keys. All that there really needs is a more shallow front angle, and maybe a bit more space between keys.  Look at the surface area on the keyboard you are using now, and compare it to a chicklet keyboard.

Chicklets are probably more popular, at least to some extent because it gives you more surface to type on. Unfortunately for those of us with even a hint of extra nail length, they can be a complete hassle to type on because of the spacing and the angles. The lack of front taper means less space between surfaces, and if your nail is just the right length to land in that tiny gap, when the key goes down, your nail can actually slide slightly up underneath and catch on the up stroke. It;s the hard corners that snag them.

Also, I love how the second picture shows a nail snapping off from tapping a key... LOL

See the attachment for what needs to be done to fix the problem. Granted longer nails are more of an issue, but this would fix a lot of it, which is what older laptop keys used to be. At some point, no keycaps will work because your nails are just simply too long.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 April 2013, 15:59:47 by Leslieann »
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 15:57:36 »
Double post
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 16:01:13 »
My girlfriend has acrylic nails almost constantly. She types with very flat hands which looks godawfully uncomfortable but she types with ease and accuracy. Perhaps that is also an option?

Offline iri

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 07:33:58 »
^ most likely an option for short-throw keyboards. is that your girlfriend on your avatar, smallfry? hehe
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 09:37:06 »
Hah! I wish.

Offline Natalie Paige

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 13:31:06 »
The simplest fix is go buy a Logitech Illuminated keyboard. They use very low profile keys, like non-Chicklet style laptop keyboards, you could also look for a Cherry ML board. For Cherry MX, an option is to try angling the keyboard towards you a bit, it sounds counter productive but works as it gives your mails more of a slot to slide into between the keys. Otherwise, you just need to look for the lowest profile keys (not flat!) you can find.

Mich also touched on something I found as well.
The F keys, most keyboards have a gap between the number keys and the F keys, so you have never had to aim as accurate on them. Their distance also makes it a stretch to reach up there as well with accuracy. This was a problem for me on my KBT Race, I really missed that gap in there.

I have looked into 3d printers for this very purpose and my conclusion was that the common ones will not have the accuracy needed for a keycap. You need one of the more expensive industrial style models that work with powder and lasers to get it right ($200k+). Unless you have access to one at a university,  the costs will priobably be insane.

Hello again,

I wanted to return to this thread for a few reasons.

Firstly, I wanted to offer up my thanks again to everyone who had responded to my somewhat crazy post. I know my project had seemed a little strange and some of you would rightly ask why someone would put oneself through all this just to be able to keep ones nails long.

I've reviewed this situation, and I actually did trim my nails down since my last post. However, no sooner had I done it, I regretted it and couldn't wait to  grow out again and looking (As far as I was concerned!) normal - sad I know...

Secondly, I have made a purchase since I posted, and had opted for the "Logitech Illuminated" as kindly suggested by LeslieAnn. The profile of the keys is certainly better, and I've angled the keyboard downwards to help with the key angle, which helps it alot.

The only dangerous thing (As far as nails go) aspect of the keyboard is the raised plastic between the number keys and the function keys - If you're not paying attention or don't have the board angled you can snap them very easily. However I did get the wired version of the logitech, the wireless version may be a bit different, I'm not sure.

So I would still consider this project as open, the "Typing on Boobs" post that someone suggested did look strange  but unless I go for a resistive touchscreen such as a WinSlate, any keyboard designed with this problem in mind probably will look a little strange - but definitely a good talking point, as someone pointed out !!

Long nails certainly aren't for everyone, and finding a way to maintain ones' productivity while wearing them like this is half (Well, all of) the challenge. However it still strikes me as odd that typing is still the one remaining thing that I have trouble with despite being able to do pretty much everything else (We'll ok, I wont be entering any bowling tournaments either...)  ;D

Thanks again,

Natalie x

Offline typo

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 23:07:49 »
I admit I did not read this whole thing if someone mentioned this. perhaps all you need is a set of spherical key caps. everyone knows I love the selectric typewriter. when I was as young man long ago typing was very popular with girls. I am not being rude just saying the truth. so, they actually designed the keys on the selectric for girls with nails. I remember the advertisement well. all that was special in that regard is they were spherical. I now have a keyboard I really like but it does not have mx blues that you want.

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 05:01:34 »
Wait you are a girl? That's hot!
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline typo

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 19:11:44 »
me? I said I was a dude in that post lol. or you mean the op. geez and I was trying not to be rude haha. I mean look in the 50's,60,s70,s things were not the same. that's not my fault lol.

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 20:45:21 »
me? I said I was a dude in that post lol. or you mean the op. geez and I was trying not to be rude haha. I mean look in the 50's,60,s70,s things were not the same. that's not my fault lol.

Wait you are a dude? That's hot!
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline typo

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 20:58:53 »
yeah, and my nails are as long as the op's!

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 04:36:25 »
hahaha

Offline Natalie Paige

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 10:12:24 »
I admit I did not read this whole thing if someone mentioned this. perhaps all you need is a set of spherical key caps. everyone knows I love the selectric typewriter. when I was as young man long ago typing was very popular with girls. I am not being rude just saying the truth. so, they actually designed the keys on the selectric for girls with nails. I remember the advertisement well. all that was special in that regard is they were spherical. I now have a keyboard I really like but it does not have mx blues that you want.

Hi @Typo (Very apt handle by the way...)
The cherry blues weren't a deal breaker for me - what keyboard are you using?

Offline typo

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 01:18:13 »
sorry I did not see this. I am using a deck with clears.  to me it is the real deal. the whole package just feels like an old selectric. plus it is made in usa.

Offline Natalie Paige

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 15:38:21 »
sorry I did not see this. I am using a deck with clears.  to me it is the real deal. the whole package just feels like an old selectric. plus it is made in usa.

Hi again @Typo - excuse my ignorance but I'm not a Geekhack regular  :) Am I looking at this site: http://www.deckkeyboards.com/ ?
I see a choice of legends:  Ice, Frost, Fire & "ToXic". By "clears" are you referring to one of these types of legends or do you mean something else by this?

Thinking that you may possibly have stumbled upon the answer with selectric/rounded key caps (Or I'm dearly hoping so!)

Thanks again,
Natalie x

Offline typo

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 02:58:21 »
if you are typing and not gaming a lot you want this one: http://www.deckkeyboards.com/product_info.php?products_id=95 it has white light on the keys and cherry mx clear switches. they feel most like a selectric you can get today imo. you can turn off the backlights. this keyboard should last 25 years. I am a man but I have more than 1/4" nails. I have no problem on this. the best part is the keys will not scratch or wear off. I even have the bad habit of typing with my nails on it. just so you know. the keys are all the same height. there is no profile. I like it better personally.

if you order one get the usb. ps2 may not be on future computers. seeing as this will last 25 years....
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 June 2013, 03:12:14 by typo »

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 11:22:38 »
The world's first keyboard "for women." Designed to make it easier to type with long nails.

http://bemorenice.tumblr.com/post/54591941708/nasanasa-petticoat-5-from-look-around-you-oh
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox