Author Topic: [IC] Polaris V2 - Reference 60% Keyboard - Updated based on survey data  (Read 95375 times)

Offline origintypes

Re: [IC] Polaris V2 - Reference 60% Keyboard
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 22:41:36 »
Vega V2 it's only a matter of time  ;D

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 22:45:48 »
Finally! Lfg.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline ShadeDream

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 23:20:38 »
Again with the charging extra for solder-able kit (and forced waste hotswap parts)... I really like the AI03 boards I have but this is just a deal killer for me...

Offline geaktior

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 23:33:45 »
I'm in :thumb: will be an instant buy
But I hope the there're screws more close to the four corners of the board, the current screw location makes me feeling a bit uncomfortable.

Offline alspdx

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 23:53:22 »
Definitely in for this if the back logo goes away, really love the clean minimal design of the other boards in the Reference Series.

Offline HYP3RION

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 00:00:44 »
Any plans for half-plate options for solderable? Would love to see it.

Offline LeCado

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 00:36:12 »
Nice!! I'll probably take a WKL. :)

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 00:39:45 »
~
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2024, 21:20:08 by FearsomeCubedWarrior »

Offline lofi_network

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 00:40:55 »
My Polaris is one of my favorite boards, and a round 2 is something I'm super excited about.  But I really really hope you reconsider the back engraving.  One of the appeals of your designs are how clean they are, and that engraving really subtracts from that aesthetic and clashes with the sophistication of the design.  The Polaris is iconic and does not require such a visually disruptive reminder of what it is imo.

Offline azack

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 00:55:05 »
Excited for the Polaris but also echoing the sentiments above about the back engraving

Offline n.rdy

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 01:01:52 »
I love the back engraving tbh

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 01:20:55 »
All this time I was thinking it is the engraving on the weight everyone is talking about and I was like what where!? Just realized it is on the back side of the board and yes, not a fan of it kekw.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline jrel

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 01:45:50 »
very nice iteration of the board! Love the V1 and will love the V2!

Two points:
  • back engraving is not great
  • split backspace for HS is a nono

Offline Delecomp

• Pure Color Addiction.
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 01:49:33 »
can’t wait!!!
Villanelle

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 01:55:23 »
I’m quite interested, and I have no issue with the engraving. I do wish 2u backspace was standard on hot swap, but fortunately I enjoy soldering.

I’ll use this opportunity to also say I look forward to what I hope is an inevitable Vega V2 because while I am liable to buy this, I will absolutely grab a Vega V2.

Offline atkins

« Reply #65 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 02:28:35 »
Please make solder the standard option.

Offline surplusofchairs

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 03:09:31 »
thanks for split back hotswap

back engraving.. ehhh.

Offline BouncyChillups

• Formerly PleasantChaos
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 03:39:02 »
While I dont particularly like the back engraving, the forced split bs is a bummer for me personally.
Kinda seems to be counter-intuitive, since I'm guessing split bs is used mostly by enthusiasts and the same target group doesnt really use hotswap.

Glad to see a daughterboard though, would've been really nice on the Vega as well.

Offline waone567

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 04:11:42 »
I rarely reply on GH but as I definitely will join this gb I hope that you will reconsider the back engraving. I really like your design language due to its simplicity. if the engraving meant to distinguish with V1 maybe a simple 'V2' will suffice. just my 2cents. anyway thanks for organizing this gb again :thumb:

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 04:36:57 »
I strongly dislike forcing hotswap as base and requiring purchase of extra PCB and plate for soldered, as opposed to offering either as an option.

That said, if the extra efficiency / cost saving from this means that this board can be delivered at a fantastic price, I'm willing to accept split backspace.

Would also definitely prefer the rear engraving be removed, or at least reduced drastically in its prominence.

Offline Deaven

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 04:42:21 »
I'm in, WK/Regular.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 December 2021, 04:44:41 by Deaven »

Offline cadrev

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 05:00:34 »
Everything except the engraving at the back speaks to me!!   :thumb:

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 05:25:47 »
I agree with what has been said here about the engraving. Sans would be better, and if anything, a logo of some sorts would be a more elegant solution than the current choice. In addition to this, it would be nice to have the choice of PCB type instead of being obliged to buy an extra unit to have a solderable PCB.

Finally, please consider regional vendor proxies.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 December 2021, 12:30:13 by _PixelNinja »

Offline ai03

• I do not reply to PMs; contact me via website
    • Website
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 06:14:20 »
I've read all the requests for logo removal and backspace swap, and wish to run an emergency poll to double-check the interest in each.

If you are potentially interested in Polaris V2, please submit the form below to vote for your preferred options as soon as possible.

https://forms.gle/oyqSsFA8ro86LBt27

Offline touch

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 06:31:46 »
Thank you for the 3u split space!

Offline knbbl

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 07:07:41 »
I strongly dislike forcing hotswap as base and requiring purchase of extra PCB and plate for soldered, as opposed to offering either as an option.

this

Offline unknownh

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 07:11:31 »
Regarding the engraving on the rear, I decided to add it knowing that it would yield mixed opinions. The biggest reasons for adding it were being able to differentiate the board from the original V1 without lifting the board off the desk, and that it looked fairly nice in a physical prototype sample. Managed to lose the photo somehow the night before the IC, so I'll post it if I come across it again and remember to do so.
Since it's on the rear entirely out of view from regular use positions, hopefully it'll be one of those things ignored 99.9% of the time.

Not sure if anyone has suggested this already or not but perhaps a less intrusive logo like the circular ai03 logo, could be used on the back to still be able to aid in the differentiation between v1 and v2 in the same place?
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 December 2021, 07:16:11 by unknownh »

TGR-Jane v2
 | TGR X SINGA UNIKORN 60 | Duck TC-V3 | Geonworks F1.69 | EX: GS "GUGA" 60 | yoot Calliope - XTFRLWKLTKL | AEK64 SKCM Browns | unknown60 WKL (x2) unknown60 WK (x2) RAMAWORKS M65-A RAMAWORKS KOYU RAMAWORKS M60-A |HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | HHKB Pro 2 

https://imgur.com/ntJaJ1c.png[/img]

Offline rookb

Re: [IC] Polaris V2 - Reference 60% Keyboard - Survey running
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 07:17:35 »
I don't like the fact im forced into buying another pcb if I want to solder, please add an option for solderable or hotswap pcb

Offline ale210

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 07:45:28 »
I don't like the fact im forced into buying another pcb if I want to solder, please add an option for solderable or hotswap pcb

+1

Offline jonathanraime67

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 08:53:24 »
I understand the criticism, but I'm excited for a hotswap PCB for my preferred layout!!  :thumb:

Offline elongatedmusk

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 09:53:07 »
^

Offline mmayhem17

• Steam profile
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 10:41:33 »
this

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 11:20:24 »

I agree with roo. +1

Offline TRIGOZEN x TAO

• Kanna + Keybort = Big Weeb
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 11:22:05 »
Looks great.
Would be better without the ugly 'Polaris v2' logo at the USB port.

Offline cryptojuice

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 11:48:04 »
Looks good, though I'm not a fan of the Vendor, will have to pass.
Vega (SoonTM) | Meridian | Mr. Suit | Tofu60

Offline surplusofchairs

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 12:21:54 »

what changed? the vendor owner co-created the board, along with the vega in your signature

Offline crs

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 12:31:19 »
I'm all in on this (either white or black for me). Loved the sound signature of v1, and joined the hobby right after it released. But I'd like to mention my thoughts on the following:

1. Definitely a default 2U Backspace for HS. I'd imagine there's a large overlap of beginner customers who don't have a soldering iron, and are used to 2U.
2. I would prefer no engraving, but I understand the desire to have one (for resale and keeping people from passing this off as a V1). I would maybe recommend an internal engraving on the top/bottom case instead. Or just cleaning up the "Polaris V2" to just "V2" or something else.
3. I don't mean to be one of those guys (even though I am), but it would be awesome to see the option of anti-static PE foam, so builders can experiment. Of course, if that's not the desired sound signature of the designer, it makes sense to not include it.
4. Lastly, since the weight is SS, I think it'd be awesome to see a clear coated/mirror coated version as well. Of course, price should be the main consideration when creating this stuff.

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 12:39:37 »
Regarding soldered layouts, why the huge backwards step in split space layout support? looks like 3u + 1u + 3u which is easily the least used and least kit supported of all. Why not the 2.75 + 1.25. 2.25 of last time like most split space layouts and which supports a tonne more key sets?

Offline HourLaterJuke

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 13:18:53 »
Despite the back engraving and the default backspace split, I'm looking forward to it. ;)

Offline hover0423

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 13:33:52 »
A lot of hs pcb now supports step cap lock as well. Hope this one would as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline cryptojuice

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 14:02:41 »

what changed? the vendor owner co-created the board, along with the vega in your signature

I still haven't received the Vega in my signature, hence the "Soon TM". I understand delays with manufacturing and other mishaps out of the vendor's control, it is a group buy after all, but the communication around the whole process was lacking.
Vega (SoonTM) | Meridian | Mr. Suit | Tofu60

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 14:14:08 »

this
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline joshuarubin

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 14:33:58 »
I don't like the default hotswap pcb either, but I do like the split backspace and layout choices that were made. In particular I like that I'd be able to use the non-universal plate with the solder pcb in my preferred layout (split bs, split rs, 7u space).

Offline dokken

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 15:43:03 »
I'm in! Instant buy 100%. Also liked the engraved logo, split backspace or not doesnt matter to me.

Offline Stev!e

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 18:57:26 »
I'm in!

Offline ai03

• I do not reply to PMs; contact me via website
    • Website
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 21:07:14 »
Survey results after over 1000 votes:
- Logo: Roughly 75% dislike logo, 25% like logo.
- Backspace: It's been constantly jittering around roughly 50:50, with neither side ever going over 55% even after so many votes.

I am currently discussing things with Kevinplus to choose how to move forward; some ideal solutions are not possible due to circumstances surrounding the project, but we'll try our best to pick a path better than the one currently in place.

Offline alwaysbless

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 23 December 2021, 00:10:19 »
I don't think many ppl care about differentiating r1 vs r2 especially if it's with a big tramp stamp like that on the back. Keep it classy, keep it original imo.

Offline nullinasou

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 23 December 2021, 04:50:07 »
not a fan of forced hotswap as well.
please consider offering both options or make solder pcb default for the sake of compatibility :)

Offline mr_fro2000

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 23 December 2021, 05:04:17 »

I still haven't received the Vega in my signature, hence the "Soon TM". I understand delays with manufacturing and other mishaps out of the vendor's control, it is a group buy after all, but the communication around the whole process was lacking.

Personally I think the Vega group buy has been handled pretty well.  Ai03 himself has been active in the discord and gives 'mini-updates' in the discussion channel while saving big updates for the update channel.  One thing to keep in mind is that Vega could very well be the biggest group buy in our hobby's history... if they start shipping out in the next few weeks, I'd say a 13-14 month fulfillment window for the size of the gb would be appropriate.

As far as I can tell, order edits have been a huge pain, esp given the size of the gb.  My guess is that the commitment to hotswap as a default is a result of this.  That being said, personally I always buy 2 pcbs anyway so getting an extra as a hotswap wouldn't be the end of the world regardless.

Offline santela

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 23 December 2021, 05:18:37 »

Personally I think the Vega group buy has been handled pretty well.  Ai03 himself has been active in the discord and gives 'mini-updates' in the discussion channel while saving big updates for the update channel.  One thing to keep in mind is that Vega could very well be the biggest group buy in our hobby's history... if they start shipping out in the next few weeks, I'd say a 13-14 month fulfillment window for the size of the gb would be appropriate.

As far as I can tell, order edits have been a huge pain, esp given the size of the gb.  My guess is that the commitment to hotswap as a default is a result of this.  That being said, personally I always buy 2 pcbs anyway so getting an extra as a hotswap wouldn't be the end of the world regardless.

The Chinese government also had a power limit on factories the past few months, which may partially contribute to the delays.