Author Topic: [IC] PBTfans Origami | Changed to Icon Mods  (Read 10949 times)

Offline Nukz

• ig: nukzak
[IC] PBTfans Origami | Changed to Icon Mods
« on: Tue, 21 February 2023, 13:45:37 »

Group buy info

Introducing PBTfans Origami, a keycap set made after the classic ePBT Origami that each one of you adored, hitting majestic sales around the world, this time we aim for a better overall quality and way faster shipping time as it will be an in-stock set

Here is my Discord server. This is where updates and teasers are released first. This is the fastest way to contact me as well, just give me a ping if you have a question.

When?
May-June 2023

Proxies:
KBDfans

ePBT Origami Actual Photos Note: This is not exactly how will the set PBTfans Origami look, I put these photos for you to see an aproximate for how will the colors of the set look irl

ePBT Origami on Space65
Photos taken by Lemongrass

More

ePBT Origami on Spring
Photos taken by Kakasi

ePBT Origami on Rama Zenith
Photos taken by Reactor

ePBT Origami on TENET70
Photo taken by Neo old man

Renders

Kits

The Base Kits support a variety of boards, from 60 to TKL. Including the novelty kit, relegendables and stickers

The Numpad kit supports full-size, 1800 boards, and separated numpads.

The Spacebar kit includes many spacebar options along with accented ones.

The 40s kit supports many Ortho and 40% boards.

Your feedback is much appreciated!

« Last Edit: Mon, 06 March 2023, 13:36:06 by Nukz »

Offline jabe8i

Re: [IC] PBTfans Origami | In-Stock Set
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 February 2023, 13:55:05 »
Damn, I was hoping the "Modern" kit would be a part of this.

Offline NihonCK

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 February 2023, 13:57:31 »
whats the pantone colors this is based on? do you have a color chip for color matching this time?

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 February 2023, 14:08:04 »
Isn’t there like 1,500 epbt origami extras floating around?

Edit: nevermind looks like they’re sold out or close to selling our most places, sorry I didn’t realize epbt actually delivered keycaps
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 February 2023, 14:12:25 by TyPo.mk »

Offline trung11.kb

• Formerly tomkatsuuu
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 February 2023, 14:18:03 »
I noticed that your novs are from The Noun Project and I was wondering if you ever paid the license fees for the unattributed icons in the epbt version as well as if you plan on paying the license fees for this PBTFans version.

Offline AmethystDCVR

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 February 2023, 14:23:37 »
the epbt set had icon mods. will icons option be offered for pbtfans version? for me personally, this will be make or break.

Offline Nukz

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 February 2023, 14:23:56 »
I noticed that your novs are from The Noun Project and I was wondering if you ever paid the license fees for the unattributed icons in the epbt version as well as if you plan on paying the license fees for this PBTFans version.
Actually only half of the novelties were bought through NounProject and half were made by one of my friend Tsakuyo. And yes, everything was paid for ePBT Origami, all the licenses are here!

Offline Nukz

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 February 2023, 14:25:20 »
whats the pantone colors this is based on? do you have a color chip for color matching this time?
The colors are both RAL and of course, everything has been matched ;)

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 February 2023, 14:35:05 »
The mods like enter shift and tab having text is not a good idea and it doesn't match the theme. They should be icon only.
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline andromache

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 February 2023, 14:40:09 »
Why didn't you ever post updates in your GB threads for EPBT Origami and EPBT Simple Baybayin? According to the GH rules, you're supposed to update monthly, which is kind of an unnecessary amount given how slow some GBs go, but you literally never posted any updates at all on sample progress, etc. I guess that won't matter for this one since it'll be in-stock, but kind of sucks for the people who wanted updates on the previous GBs of yours they joined and never heard anything.....

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 February 2023, 15:20:56 »
random list of thoughts:
  • the legend consistency on pbtfans text+icon modifiers is terrible and no designer should use them until they fix them, please go back to icon only
  • running another IC when you didn't bother about updating the threads for GB you ran is sketchy to say the least (if you use GH as a mean of advertising you are required to regularly update the GB threads)
  • please make accents and legends actually gray this time around instead of that off-black of the epbt run (maybe post sample photos next time)
  • 40s kit mods are icon only while the main set is text+icon. all the more reason to make kits uniform and icon only

Offline digitalnothing

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 February 2023, 16:15:41 »
Text+icon mods are trash, but the colors are really nice. Love the novelties. Change to icon mods and this would be a definitely buy.

Offline PuNkShoO

• I make keyboard switches.
    • Check out my projects!
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 February 2023, 17:05:10 »
Will these be PBT or ABS?

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 February 2023, 18:26:15 »
I'll be real I prefer the Icon+text to just icons, but then again I can't buy more caps without having a board to put them on so I'm not going to buy this anyways.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline Araset

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 February 2023, 05:29:34 »
Is that a 1.25u R2 in the 40s kit?
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 February 2023, 05:33:17 by Araset »

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 February 2023, 06:08:14 »
I still do not understand the hate for pbtfans text + icon legends.

Offline matthewdias

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 February 2023, 13:03:01 »

the text is just kind of wonky. look at the lowercase e's for example. also it doesnt match the stock 40s kit

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 February 2023, 17:25:40 »

the text is just kind of wonky. look at the lowercase e's for example. also it doesnt match the stock 40s kit
The complaint that that the text+icon legends do not match the stock 40s kit makes sense to me. Looking at the text+icon legends in person, they look fine imo. Even if you don't like the font it's less noticeable than GMK's wonky alignment.

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 February 2023, 18:25:12 »

would prefer a text only r3 control, text + icon is a dealbreaker for me

Even if you don't like the font it's less noticeable than GMK's wonky alignment.

??
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 February 2023, 19:00:45 »
Even if you don't like the font it's less noticeable than GMK's wonky alignment.

??
You cannot be a GMK user and not know what I'm talking about.

Offline mr_foggy

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 23 February 2023, 05:09:12 »

ehhhhhh no.

GMK's kerning > PBTfans wretched Delete and the Aifei looking ass Backspace

Offline ravenousrhino

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 23 February 2023, 05:38:37 »
Why didn't you ever post updates in your GB threads for EPBT Origami and EPBT Simple Baybayin? According to the GH rules, you're supposed to update monthly, which is kind of an unnecessary amount given how slow some GBs go, but you literally never posted any updates at all on sample progress, etc. I guess that won't matter for this one since it'll be in-stock, but kind of sucks for the people who wanted updates on the previous GBs of yours they joined and never heard anything.....

He never even updated regularly in the Discord. And when he did, the info he gave was wrong. Literally learned nothing from people teaching him how to give updates.

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 23 February 2023, 07:01:23 »

He never even updated regularly in the Discord. And when he did, the info he gave was wrong. Literally learned nothing from people teaching him how to give updates.

True. All the things he said in this thread about his discord being the place to get updates is not true. I guess he means that from now on that's gonna be the case; if you are inclined to believe. But you have to remember this was epbt so there literally was no info at all until just before they started shipping. Also for matching , epbt is literally the worst which makes blaming the designer a little difficult.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 February 2023, 07:03:05 by DaaDaa »
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline mr_foggy

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 23 February 2023, 09:15:11 »
Also for matching , epbt is literally the worst which makes blaming the designer a little difficult.
so? does epbt start production without sample approval from the designer? I doubt that.
epbt *is* the worst but someone must have green lighted the mismatched accent color.

Offline NihonCK

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 23 February 2023, 14:22:11 »

True. All the things he said in this thread about his discord being the place to get updates is not true. I guess he means that from now on that's gonna be the case; if you are inclined to believe. But you have to remember this was epbt so there literally was no info at all until just before they started shipping. Also for matching , epbt is literally the worst which makes blaming the designer a little difficult.

The color matching, wasn't done properly at all
simply just received the first samples, asked people if it looked good on the discord server, then approved them for production. No attempts at all to match with a color chip or comparison wasn't shown, didn't even attempt a round 2 of sampling either.

Sure, ePBT is slow as hell and can be quite terrible with matching even when provided a color chip, but the excuses out of this designer and never owning up to the mistakes they have made, make this set and the other one still pending with ePBT, rather concerning.

Offline Nukz

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 23 February 2023, 15:37:08 »
The color matching, wasn't done properly at all
simply just received the first samples, asked people if it looked good on the discord server, then approved them for production. No attempts at all to match with a color chip or comparison wasn't shown, didn't even attempt a round 2 of sampling either.
These are photos from my discord server, posted this a day after recieving the samples (12/10/2021)
https://imgur.com/a/TR4dBrx

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 23 February 2023, 19:34:30 »
Since you will be running a latin alphas base and PBTfans has the capacity to produce nordeuk kits, please add international support to this set via a nordeuk kit.

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 24 February 2023, 06:59:26 »

ehhhhhh no.

Legends are definitely a subjective thing, so what you prefer is pure preference. For me pbtfans' text legends blend into the background when I look at my board, but every time I look down I notice GMK's number row alignment. As someone who has "fixed" GMK's legends to have consistent alignment, there are errors across the board with GMK's legends because they were originally made by hand.

Offline mr_foggy

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 24 February 2023, 11:35:19 »

ehhhhhh no.

Legends are definitely a subjective thing

incorrect, my comparison was a subjective thing, but objectively uneven legend height and objectively inconsistent legend thickness such as those on pbtfans text+icon mods are facts. it's ok if it doesn't bother you but it doesn't mean it's not there.

Offline Cylent

• Formerly cylentshadows
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 16:52:38 »

ehhhhhh no.

Legends are definitely a subjective thing, so what you prefer is pure preference. For me pbtfans' text legends blend into the background when I look at my board, but every time I look down I notice GMK's number row alignment. As someone who has "fixed" GMK's legends to have consistent alignment, there are errors across the board with GMK's legends because they were originally made by hand.
incorrect, my comparison was a subjective thing, but objectively uneven legend height and objectively inconsistent legend thickness such as those on pbtfans text+icon mods are facts. it's ok if it doesn't bother you but it doesn't mean it's not there.
There, I fixed it by adding back the context in my comment that you strangely removed.

Offline mr_foggy

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 26 February 2023, 08:13:04 »
There, I fixed it by adding back the context in my comment that you strangely removed.

removed because it had nothing to do with what was being discussed.

Offline Nukz

Re: [IC] PBTfans Origami | Changed to Icon Mods
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 06 March 2023, 13:13:53 »
Changed the base kits from Icon + Text to just Icon Mods :thumb:

Offline kkd_20

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 08 March 2023, 02:00:27 »
Those renders look sick  :eek:

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 09 March 2023, 10:41:08 »

thank god text on pbt fans mods is a war crime

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 09 March 2023, 19:48:16 »

Please consider adding an international kit to this. I asked before but the request got drowned out in the arguing over icon/text mods. PBTfans has one pre-made so you wouldn't have to design anything. It opens this set up to regional ISO users.

Offline involuntarysoul

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 10 March 2023, 12:14:18 »
looks lot like GMK Sixes

Offline YoungManKim

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 10 March 2023, 14:01:47 »
looks lot like GMK Sixes

Yes, they are both beige sets. Great observation.

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 10 March 2023, 16:40:00 »
looks lot like GMK Sixes

if you ever see GMK umka or klassiker you will doopdis yourself.

Offline savovo

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 14 March 2023, 10:52:19 »
Current ePBT origami owner here and I must say that the GB was a mess. A lot of customers were mad in the discord due to lack of updates and when we did get updates, it wasn't good news. A lot of us received keycaps with defects such as nubs(?) or extra material from the casting which was not pleasant to see. Additionally, the thing that irked me the most is that before everyone received their sets, the designer decided to release an IC in the discord server to say that they were working with pbtfans for a cheaper and better quality origami set. So everyone who got epbt origami pretty much got played like test subjects.

Offline tactilesbad

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 16 March 2023, 12:13:50 »
Current ePBT origami owner here and I must say that the GB was a mess. A lot of customers were mad in the discord due to lack of updates and when we did get updates, it wasn't good news. A lot of us received keycaps with defects such as nubs(?) or extra material from the casting which was not pleasant to see. Additionally, the thing that irked me the most is that before everyone received their sets, the designer decided to release an IC in the discord server to say that they were working with pbtfans for a cheaper and better quality origami set. So everyone who got epbt origami pretty much got played like test subjects.

can confirm, sold my unit as soon as I opened the tray. colors were wrong, dyesub was fuzzy, the whole nav cluster looked like ****

Offline Zitrouny

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 25 March 2023, 11:10:43 »
Please add NorDeUK/International Set. Every PBTfans set has it. It's a dealbreaker without it!

Offline Akele

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 25 March 2023, 17:12:40 »
Please add NorDeUK/International Set. Every PBTfans set has it. It's a dealbreaker without it!

Likewise hoping to see a NorDeUK kit as an option.

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 25 March 2023, 20:05:06 »

Likewise hoping to see a NorDeUK kit as an option.

Don't think it's going to happen, unfortunately. I've asked twice and definitely asked early enough to be seen but ignored. This set's likely already in production given it'll be in stock in May and the designer's obviously not that bothered about international support. If that bothers you (and it should) just don't buy when it's available.