Author Topic: [IC] Sarokeys BSUN BCP Switch/Is it a real substitute for the original BCP?  (Read 11432 times)

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys
300909-0

Discord:https://discord.gg/xprJb8Ta26

Hi everyone, this is Dashan from Unikeys. I am bringing you something very unique from BSUN this time. As you can see in the heading, we are having a BSUN version of the BCP switches coming up, and I am here to show you more details about this switch. Regarding whether it can be seen as a close substitute for the original BCP switches, I will leave that to you to decide.

Price
The price of the BSUN BCP switches will be around 0.54 USD per switch.
As most of you are aware, one of the biggest "issues" related to the original BCP switch is its price. In short, you will need to buy three separate switches in order to franken it; Let's say you are going with the classic Cherry mx top, Cream stem, and H1 bottom combo, the rough estimated price you will need to pay is around 1.5 USD per original BCP. If you downgrade a little and go with JWICK black switch bottom, the cost of one BCP switch is still around 1.2 USD. The BSUN BCP is lowering the cost to more than half of the original BCP, but is it more than half good when compared to the original ones?

Switch Specifications
Switch type: Linear
Designer: Sarokeys (Designer of the Strawberry Wine switches)
Manufacturer: BSUN/YOK
Stem material: Modified POM S9
Top and Bottom Housings: PA66
Operating Force: 51g
Bottom-out Force: 57g
Pre-travel: 1.3mm
Total Travel: 3.2mm
Spring: 20mm Single Stage Extended
Factory Lubed: Yes! On spring, stem feet, and stem sliders

The BSUN BCP

Overall, the BSUN BCP switch has pretty similar (but not exactly the same) specs as the original BCP. Material-wise, the housing material is still Nylon, and the stem material is POM. One small difference is the BSUN BCP's stem is made of POM S9, a modified POM material created by BSUN to increase the smoothness of the stem.

Regarding the pre-travel and total travel distance, the BSUN BCP comes a bit longer than the original one. The original BCP has a pre-travel of 1.1mm and a total travel of 3.1mm which may seem a bit too aggressive even by today's standard. Sarokeys modified the travel distance and made the BSUN BCP a switch with 1.3mm pre-travel and 3.2mm total travel.

If you ask me do they sound the same? From my subjective perspective, the BSUN BCP is just a tat bit lower pitched than the original ones. Also, because the BSUN BCP comes with a smoother POM stem, you are not going to hear the iconic scratch sound like you do on an original BCP.

The typing feel of the two switches is super similar to each other though. Even though the travel distances are different, I can hardly feel it when comparing them head to head. They both have that harsh and short bottom-out feel.

However, these are just my personal subjective feelings and experiences. Please stay tuned for reviews and sound tests from other switch experts as I believe more references are always a good thing.
In general, I would say the BSUN BCPs are great switches coming at the price point of around 50 cents. They are 90-95% similar to the original BCPs in my opinion, and the most evident difference between them is the scratch feeling and sound.

Pictures Showing Differences (The one on the left is the original BCP)
300883-1
300886-2
300888-3
300890-4
300911-5
300913-6

Form of Sales
Unikeys will be having the BSUN BCP switches as an in-stock item at the beginning of August. The launch date and time will be announced later on. Please join our Discord server to stay tuned.

Time of Sales
TBD

Vendor List
Global: Unikeyboards: https://unikeyboards.com/

300896-7
300898-8
300899-9
300901-10
300903-11
300905-12
300909-13
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 July 2023, 16:24:01 by DashanYYY »

Offline HubertThemad

• * St. Jude Supporter
Interesting!

I wonder if this will be similar to Geon's upcoming Sarokeys X Geon BCP switch.

Regardless, nice to have an alternative to frankenswitching as long as one is okay with a "not 100% spec to spec" copy of a BCP.

I'm not too picky, so definitely gonna consider this.

GLWIC!

edit: grammar
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 July 2023, 17:02:36 by HubertThemad »

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys
Interesting!

I wonder if this will be similar to Geon's  Sarokeys X Geon switch.

Regardless, nice to have an alternative to frankenswitching as long as one is okay with a "not 100% spec to spec" copy of a BCP.

I'm not too picky, so definitely gonna consider this.

GLWIC!

edit: grammar

Thank you so much! I really have been enjoying these switches for the past few days. I don't want their name to misguide anybody who might be interested in them, but they are indeed great switches regardless of what they are called!

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
Me: I have bought Penyu switches that try to emulate BCP, I am content.
Also Me: Gib BSUN BCP

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys

Resisting a new switch is HARD  :))

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys
BSUN BCP switches are on their way to our warehouse right now! Should be live in 1-2 days

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
penyus were so underrated. still one of the best switches I've tried.

Offline Adelscott

Is there an EU vendor ?
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline DashanYYY

• Unikeys
Is there an EU vendor ?
Not at the moment, but we ship to EU

Offline suzume

• pokedoku
I am very impressed with the pricing and potential cost savings of the BSUN BCP switches, and I definitely want to purchase them to see how they compare to the original ones.

Offline Tient1945

Re: [IC] Sarokeys BSUN BCP Switch/Is it a real substitute for the original BCP?
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 01 November 2023, 04:15:42 »
As long as the price is cheap, I like it.

Offline WU

• WUkds
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 03 November 2023, 02:19:21 »
cool

Offline bekean

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 December 2023, 21:58:23 »
I can afford this price.