Author Topic: [IC] ORI CLS-3//60 OG - CLASSIC 60 ORING  (Read 15060 times)

Offline BruceDinh

• Explorer | Artist | Petrolhead
    • ORI CLUB
[IC] ORI CLS-3//60 OG - CLASSIC 60 ORING
« on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 00:45:55 »

Allow me to introduce my fourth design, the ORI CLS-3//60. This will still be a design language that I believe will endure for many years to come. With this design, my goal is set higher than the 3//88. However, it remains incredibly simple and classic. We will have a 60 classic layout, the finest hand-feel in the ORI Classic Series to date, and a distinctive sound and typing experience tuned to my preferences, all coming together.

Design

It's challenging to know where to begin, but perhaps I want to bring back the design of CLS-1. Redesigned to be more elegant, especially in terms of proportions, the simpler and more compact, the better. The proportions of everything must be just right when you hold it in your hand.

I began grappling with this idea a few months ago. Escaping from old thoughts sometimes takes more time than coming up with something new. And then, when I put the first strokes for ORI CLS-3//60 on paper, everything started to become clear.

I wanted the curves on the sides to flow seamlessly, ensuring a fantastic hand-feel. The human hand is truly remarkable, capable of sensing nuances that are rarely visible to the naked eye but easily felt by touch. It took me quite some time to discuss with the factory engineers about creating a seamless sensation between the four corners of the keyboard.

3D printing to feel the true scale

In addition to beautiful design, it must also adhere to functionality. What I set out to achieve was that the JST cable connection between the PCB and Daughter Board had to be one of the last steps in the assembly process. This was to ensure that there would be no excess cable inside the case.

To achieve this, I almost had to make the Daughter Board assembly the final step. However, this introduced a challenge: front height.

Front height would essentially be easy to lower if:

1.The keyboard's edges extended further.
2.There was only one assembly plate, as having two would require ensuring the thickness and rigidity of both components. If they were too thin, it would be a danger to durability and could lead to excessive sound resonance.

And ultimately, I had to compromise with a height of 19mm.
It turns out that it works quite well for this proportion.

Since 60 keys wouldn't provide enough space for the ORI bird logo, I also thought this was an opportunity for me to introduce something fresh and, as it turns out, it's something I like the most.

Initially, my idea was to emboss the ORI logo and infill it with red enamel. However, after testing, I realized that it was just a lazy choice. So, I decided to create a CNC-machined and anodized logo. And here it is, an ORI logo with a red anodized background, and the letters ORI are cut out after anodizing to reveal the original aluminum color, making it stand out from the red background. The internal mechanism is carefully attached and aligned to ensure it is always in the right position.

The internal layout is arranged relatively similarly to the CLS-3//88. And with a compact 60-layout keyboard, I thought about adding some vent holes inside, which would make the sound a bit clacky (unless you're using full foam, which would render the internal case design somewhat meaningless).
But how to make the vent holes look elegant? I pondered this for quite a while before deciding to implement them. Adding these vents would increase production costs by around $35 - $50. However, luckily, I never thought I would have to make a design to sell at such a low price to maximize profit, so let's just do what I think is best.

The two vent holes support sound clarity and prevent any resonance issues. There's also a name tag piece with the word "ORI" or any other text I desire.

And finally, the bottom surface is ready for any material we can combine, whether it's brass, copper, steel, or any other option.

And the connection between the top and bottom plates is designed with convenience in mind. There may even be a space for information about the keys and PCB for easy reference. In the production version, I might include a small QR code to make it even more convenient for lookup.

FULL STAGE OF DESIGN

Sketch - 3D print - CNC check - Anodzied and colour check

Back to the boring thing,but essential part.

Basic specifications

Keyboard layout: 60 Classic
8-part assembly
Top cases: Alunimum
Bottom cases: Alunimum/Brass/Steel/Copper
Internal weight: Brass/Copper/Steel
External weight: Aluminium/Brass/Copper/Steel
O-Ring mount
Typing angle: 6 degrees
Front height: 19mm
PCB : CEM3 1.6mm
Custom PCB and Daughterboard by Mechlovin’ Studio

PRICE & SALE PLAN

Expected: 420$/kit

Prices will vary mainly due to raw material prices at the time of production, or the option selection of the final version.

SOUND TEST

I'll still do it as soon as possible. Currently, I have not built to test. And it took a few weeks for me to send it to some friends for their evaluation.

THINGS TO DO

As always, I really need your opinions to further improve the design. As well as being able to have a more comprehensive view. I'm comfortable with any criticism of the design.
IC form: https://forms.gle/vTZk25bkRn8D18Y66

UPDATE
Protoytpe ORI CLS-3//60 Rev2.

+Add 2 colour way:
  - Black in black: Black aluminium with Steel Weight mirror polish then black PVD.
  - Un-named: Dark champange with Steel Weight sand blasted.
+ Upgrade Glass Bead smaller for sand blasted. Make surface more smooth.

SOCIAL
Discord: https://discord.gg/tYgNKE35w5
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ori.club/
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 December 2023, 22:16:57 by BruceDinh »

Offline wigol2506

• Instagram
Re: [IC] ORI CLS-3//60 - CLASSIC 60 ORING
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 01:55:20 »
Always nice to see how you translate your craftmanship in your personal profession into your keyboard designs
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wigol2506/

Singa Ocelot R1 Prototype | Singa x TGR Unikorn R1 Prototype | Singa x TGR Unikorn R2.1 PC & FG | Singa Kyohaku | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Police | TGR 910 OG (01/23) |TGR 910RE PC | LZ Phase | LZ XE | LZ erGhost | LZ erGhost CL | LZ REs | LZ Trik X_T | LZ SQ | LZ GHv1 | LZ GHv2 |LZ Prism | Palmetto60 | HBCP | Ibis | No2Rev2 TKL Black Unfinished | 1/60 Rev. 1 | Keynergy Serratus Chrome | DNworks SBL (DN)

Offline super7manki

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 11:35:30 »
Gorgeous!
This look perfect from all the angle

Offline roffelsaur

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 11:37:54 »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts during the design process, I really enjoyed reading and learning about the decisions being made :)

GLWIC

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 12:42:00 »
Nice ! I will follow this carefully !
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline Shangzhijun

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 23:33:40 »
Although it’s only WK, it’s still a surprise, looking forward to your HHKB

Offline Shangzhijun

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 October 2023, 23:57:22 »
Take my money, can't wait

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 October 2023, 11:55:27 »
Will there be ISO support for this beauty?
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline Thumb Key

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 09 October 2023, 23:07:55 »
Very nice curves. I like it! :thumb:

Offline shendoo

• *RAUGHS*
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 October 2023, 10:49:21 »
Beautiful board! Would love to see an HHKB variant!

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 12 October 2023, 11:52:01 »
i like that you chose to do something new (with the logo) but ngl i wouldn't have minded the bird there haha.

really liking the CLS-3 stuff. idk if i'll be able to join this one but GLwIC!

Offline NixieType

[IC] ORI CLS-3//60 - CLASSIC 60 ORING
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 October 2023, 18:10:20 »
I love the simplicity of this. Even though it’s another o ring board, it’s very nice!

Offline LogLab

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 15 October 2023, 12:57:43 »
Damn that's beautiful, and that anodized logo piece is so overkill but awesome. $420 seems like a very reasonable price for this board!

Offline xhxzzh

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 16 October 2023, 14:09:20 »
Like the design. I really hope you could make a HHKB layout version

Offline BruceDinh

• ORI CLUB
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 October 2023, 06:15:22 »
Thank you, everyone, for your comments, especially those provided in the form.

I will summarize and respond to some common comments here:

1. Will the ORI CLS-3//60 support the WKL/HHKB layout?
   - I can say that I have also considered this, but creating a 3-in-1 design is not a priority for Ori Design in general. WKL and HHKB layouts will have a similar design but will be separated into top and bottom pieces like the 3//88. With the 60 classic version as in the IC, I might change its name to CLS-3//60 OG to distinguish it from future versions.

CLS-3//60 OG was created with the goal of achieving something I've been passionate about since the early days of this hobby.

2. Will there be an FE version of ORI CLS-3//60 OG?
   - Definitely.

3. Will it support FR4 PCBs?
   - Of course, there will be two PCB versions with different materials: CEM3 and FR4.

4. Can other O-ring mounted 60% keyboards be used in place of the ORI CLS-3//60 OG mount?
   - Unfortunately, no. I have made changes to the mounting points to suit my typing feel calculations. The PCB will be customized with mount positions following Ori's 3//60 design.

5. Regarding the new red ORI logo on 3//60:
   - I appreciate all feedback, and I am thinking and conducting tests to objectively evaluate all the feedback.

Update: 10/19/2023

1. Mechlovin team discovered uneven spacing between rows R1 and R4 with the edges of the keyboard. It needs to be expanded slightly to balance with the spacing on each key.

2. The JST connector on the PCB may be tight and difficult to operate after assembly. It needs to widen the hole on the Internal Weight by 1-1.5mm

3. The colorway will be adjusted based on some feedback:
   - I have made changes in the drawings and sent the prototype back to the factory to adjust the details.
   - The colorway for the silver version will be Top Silver - Bottom Red.

Offline donaldmanny

• Location: I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON
  • @inputdevices
Re: [IC] ORI CLS-3//60 OG - CLASSIC 60 ORING
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 21 October 2023, 05:30:10 »
Can't wait for this beauty! Excited to see the material combinations  :p
KFE CE / Satisfaction / Rotor / Paragon / Dolice / HG / F1 / Dodici / Theca / ME-1 / Unikorn / Kohaku

Offline Anorexious

• Designer
    • bento
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 22 October 2023, 09:49:50 »
Nice stuff as always! GLWIC

Offline Zyrophr

• https://zyrophr.com
    • zyrophr.com
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 22 October 2023, 10:11:24 »
I absolutely need one, this is gorgeous, nice work :)
Will definitely enter GB
French keyboard streamer

Offline BruceDinh

• ORI CLUB
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 02 December 2023, 22:15:54 »
Protoytpe ORI CLS-3//60 Rev2.

+Add 2 colour way:
  - Black in black: Black aluminium with Steel Weight mirror polish then black PVD.
  - Un-named: Dark champange with Steel Weight sand blasted.
+ Upgrade Glass Bead smaller for sand blasted. Make surface more smooth.

Offline Ranker2

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 03 December 2023, 05:36:51 »
Count me in for the Dark Champagne

Offline iwobobul

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 03 December 2023, 10:14:19 »
What is the weight assembled?

Offline fuster

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 03 December 2023, 17:32:22 »
no soundtest yet? :(