Author Topic: CM Storm Spawn  (Read 3323 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
CM Storm Spawn
« on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 01:35:59 »
I bought this myself after chatting with Carter and trying out the XT (hugely positive review is elsewhere in this forum). I have to say, I really like it. I have been using a G9x, fingertip, shell-less for the past year or two and have gotten very used to about 2200dpi, the almost flawless tracking of the mouse, and the light weight, but a) the spawn is even lighter than my older rev G9x. b) although at first i balked at the ring finger support, i got used to it within a week and find it to be extremely natural now in my typical fingertip position (but with a bit of extra support under my ring and middle fingers). i would say that the bigger issue though is that the tracking of the spawn is just significantly smoother and more natural feeling than the g9x. i would chalk this up to the lack of negative acceleration as compared to the g9x, but after quite a bit of staring at the two tracking mechanisms, pulling the g9x down to circuit board, and doing several other vaguely sciencey things, i think the avago sensor just feels better. i suspect it's because the laser gives significantly less information per dot to the processor on most surfaces (in fact, while my older g9x tracks on my white qck mass with some error, the g9x i just bought out of the last batch will not track at all on the white. literally, the pointer will not move).

so, if i had to find flaws with the spawn, and i do, if this is going to be a reasonable review, i would focus on two things:

1) i would like to see a slightly narrower 'more fingertippy' shell that increases the downward slope horizontal slope of the ring finger support and until it is maybe 10-15 degrees off of vertical, basically just a sculpted non-angular place to put your ring finger when holding the mouse fingertip style. second, i would narrow the top of the mouse, including the two main buttons and pull the heel in a bit. i would also get rid of the two left-side buttons. RTS players basically never use mouse buttons that aren't the big two. maybe call it the RTS version of the mouse or something like that and position it against the abyssus and mica.

2) i would go ahead and beef up the architecture to allow the same kind of interpolation between major resolution steps that the g9x has. some RTS users like 1600dpi, some 1800dpi, some 2000dpi, etc. they don't need the kind of 100% 1:1 flawless tracking that FPS users do, so a tiny bit of error is a non-issue if they can tune their resolution to enable hitting exactly the target resolution for the standardized sized UIs they have to use.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline MrexD

• aka mrwoodyxd
Re: CM Storm Spawn
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 02:16:43 »
I've been thinking about trying one of these

I'm currently using a Naga because the ergonomics on it are just perfect for me. The problem is the mouse lacks slightly in performance. The laser can sometimes be a bit off.

The Spawn seemed to be the only mouse close enough to the shape of a Naga with the flawless sensor.

Have you used a Naga before? Is the shape similar to it?
Pok3r MX CLears

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 02:41:46 »
Went from a g9x to a spawn as well and your review is spot on. I like the looks and the high quality feel of the g9x better, but pure performance has to go to the spawn. I'm a fan of the solid, sharp, crisp click that the buttons give when pressed as well.

The one thing about your review I'm going to have to disagree with however are the thumb buttons. As a sole fps player, those are invaluable and something I look for when purchasing a mouse. Having those set up for melee and crouch are crucial with my style of play.
Looking for CC's!

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 09:41:09 »
I love my cm storm spawn for the most part.  I got mine before they were released in the states cause someone in Canada was selling it.  Took a while to get here though because the Canadians post(whatever its called) was on strike.  My rubber coating on the top started to peel though.  It started with a small area kinda bubbling before peeling and then it would gradually get bigger from there.  Recently I just got tired of it and sanded the whole red part off (except on the front since I never see that part anyway). 

Another problem I had was when I used to play battlefield games a lot.  I think it was cause I used caps lock as sprint.  I know a lot of people have/had this problem and it basically causes massive cpu usage.  I think mine went away when I switched to usb 3.0 though.

And personally I used the side buttons when I played sc2.  Maybe its cause I came from mmo's but I used the back side button for swapping between my bases and forward as a hotkey group for research buildings.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 09:47:22 »
Nice write up. I've never looked into CM's mouse offerings. Wish more of these were wireless.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 17:09:16 »
i've never used a naga before, but when i bought the g9x it was on my short list. i decided that the weight was a bit high and i didn't care about the wireless.

so actually, i just tore apart a g9x, and put it together again with absolutely no parts except for the sensor, pcb and wheel and the bare minimum top and bottom cases.. it's now lighter than the spawn, and i have to say i like the feel a lot. however, it still has the wonky sensor, as it was my broken g9x and surprise surprise it's still broken. that said, i also took a look at the sensor, and 'laser' is probably less precise than 'pinhole camera with very very focused diode optic'. basically, i think the philips 'laser' sensor is basically a pinhole optic with a very focused light. it attempts to pick up a huge amount of data over that tiny illuminated section within its very very narrow depth of field, but this makes it a) highly prone to alignment errors. literally if the pcb is 0.2mm out of design tolerances, it will get no data at all, as the camera will just see a blurry mess. b) it's very sensitive to both the magnitude of the highly focused light and probably its wavelength as well, so it's much more sensitive to LED binning.

so-called optical sensors may be forced to average over much larger visible areas, but that makes them significantly more fault tolerant as well. this may be why the philips lasers (even their attempt to fix this by going stereo) are kind of dying off with the gamer crowd as far as i can tell..

overall, i like the spawn, and its taken over my desk as my primary mouse. that said, i wish it had a bit more computing power, as i miss all the profiles and speed settings i could shove into my g9x. i also wish it were a bit more fingertip friendly.

THE END YAYYYYY
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 July 2013, 17:10:57 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 17:15:40 »
1) i would like to see a slightly narrower 'more fingertippy' shell that increases the downward slope horizontal slope of the ring finger support and until it is maybe 10-15 degrees off of vertical, basically just a sculpted non-angular place to put your ring finger when holding the mouse fingertip style. second, i would narrow the top of the mouse, including the two main buttons and pull the heel in a bit. i would also get rid of the two left-side buttons. RTS players basically never use mouse buttons that aren't the big two. maybe call it the RTS version of the mouse or something like that and position it against the abyssus and mica.

Says the guy with the 3D printer and ability to make a large number of different shells for his mouse :P

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 18:26:21 »
Have you tried the updated driver pack?
Looking for CC's!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 July 2013, 20:05:09 »
i'm using the newest drivers and firmware for everything