Author Topic: Keycool 84 Review  (Read 65192 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Keycool 84 Review
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 17:11:59 »
Where can I order the same reviewed keyboard from?
I'd like to buy exactly the same!

Thanks in advance!

http://www.mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=410

Out of stock at the moment though.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 17:51:09 »
aliexpress stock keycools, but I would advise you send a PM to xuanwumen on here. he can give you a deal where he knocks off the fee he has to pay aliexpress.

Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 18:17:32 »
You might ask qtan too, he usually stocks KeyCool in his online store.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline basspivo

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 12:16:54 »
I got my white KC84 with MX Clear and PBT caps last week.  I purchased from xuanwumen and it took about 3 weeks to arrive via China Post Air.  I fell in love with small form factor keyboard after I got my KBT Pur Pro.  It is great for gaming, because I can bring my hands closer.  However, I sometimes need to use F keys during gaming session and Pure Pro falls short on that.  KC84 fixes that problem.  It has pretty much everything I need and it is my daily driver.

The good stuff:

1. MX Clear is more tactile, whereas brown felt more like a linear switch to me. 
2. PBT key caps has more aggressive texture than the PBT caps on my Pure Pro. 
3. It comes with a plastic holder to secure the USB cable. 
4. Key legends are laser etched, which I prefer more than laser engraved.

The not necessarily bad stuff, depends on how picky you are:

1. the legends on the caps are not aligned.
2. PBT caps are not as thick as the PBT caps on my Pure Pro.

For the KC84 owners here, I have a question for you.  I connect my board to my PC via USB.  Every time I turns on the computer, the num lock key is always lit. This means if I type "JKL", it will turn into "456".  This is quite annoying.  I know there is no dip switch on KC84.  Is there a way to disable that function? 
TT Meka G1 w/ MX Black
KBT Pure Pro w/ MX RED
Keycool 84 w/ MX Clear
CMS QF Stealth w/ MX Green
CODE 104 w/ MX Clear
CODE 87 w/ MX Clear

Offline archer

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 13:04:58 »
I got my white KC84 with MX Clear and PBT caps last week.  I purchased from xuanwumen and it took about 3 weeks to arrive via China Post Air.  I fell in love with small form factor keyboard after I got my KBT Pur Pro.  It is great for gaming, because I can bring my hands closer.  However, I sometimes need to use F keys during gaming session and Pure Pro falls short on that.  KC84 fixes that problem.  It has pretty much everything I need and it is my daily driver.

The good stuff:

1. MX Clear is more tactile, whereas brown felt more like a linear switch to me. 

For the KC84 owners here, I have a question for you.  I connect my board to my PC via USB.  Every time I turns on the computer, the num lock key is always lit. This means if I type "JKL", it will turn into "456".  This is quite annoying.  I know there is no dip switch on KC84.  Is there a way to disable that function?
iirc, there's something in the bios that you can adjust to turn numlock off by default when your PC boots.

hope this helps

Offline basspivo

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 14:12:12 »
I see.  I will try it when I get home.  Thanks for the tip!   :thumb:
TT Meka G1 w/ MX Black
KBT Pure Pro w/ MX RED
Keycool 84 w/ MX Clear
CMS QF Stealth w/ MX Green
CODE 104 w/ MX Clear
CODE 87 w/ MX Clear

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 11:57:13 »

The good stuff:

Like someone explained below, this is in the BIOS.
For me personally, it's in the "boot" options of my BIOS, will get a picture later.

The same thing happens to the Noppoo Choc Mini also. Good choice on your board though, great boards imo.
你搞砸了

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 13:21:51 »
I'm very much interested in the KC 84 however I'm looking for cherry blues and it seems that reds, blacks, and clears are the easiest to find. I'm typing on reds now and they feel too light to me, of course they are fun to game on :) How are the clears compared to the blues? I have no interested in being quiet when I type! I'm started to wonder if I'm going to be forced to buy something like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keycool-84-LED-backlit-USB-NKRO-Cherry-MX-Blue-Switch-Mechanical-gaming-Keyboard-/230885706353?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item35c1dc4a71

However it is tempting just to hold off if I can find a deal on a non-led for 60$ nice find! I really like the idea of non-media shortcut keys like calculator and browser etc, and the fact it's a little smaller then tkl is interesting too. Thoughts?

Offline cannonking

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 18:08:03 »
I'm very much interested in the KC 84 however I'm looking for cherry blues and it seems that reds, blacks, and clears are the easiest to find. I'm typing on reds now and they feel too light to me, of course they are fun to game on :) How are the clears compared to the blues? I have no interested in being quiet when I type! I'm started to wonder if I'm going to be forced to buy something like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keycool-84-LED-backlit-USB-NKRO-Cherry-MX-Blue-Switch-Mechanical-gaming-Keyboard-/230885706353?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item35c1dc4a71

However it is tempting just to hold off if I can find a deal on a non-led for 60$ nice find! I really like the idea of non-media shortcut keys like calculator and browser etc, and the fact it's a little smaller then tkl is interesting too. Thoughts?
Friend of mine ordered one, but got a reply saying they don't have any MX Blues in stock and cancelled his order :(.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 20:46:12 »

Friend of mine ordered one, but got a reply saying they don't have any MX Blues in stock and cancelled his order :(.

Exact email quote: "Hi,
Thanks for your inquiry.
I just contact the factory that we will get it a week later,so please do not worry too much on this issue.
Please feel free to contact me if any other questions.

Best regards
Betsy"

The response I get when asking about blues. Who knows.

Offline plexabyte

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 16:39:25 »
Wow, great review! Thank you :D

I just received my Keycool Hero 84 in White w/blue backlighting and MX Browns from Massdrop. I'm super satisfied but I'm a little disappointed mine didn't come with any colored or novelty keycaps. That and I'm not fond of how the backlighting comes through the white keycaps but I guess that's to be expected. Overall very excited to start using it regularly. Has  anyone else received theirs without any extra/colored/novelty keycaps?