Author Topic: TEX 80% Aluminum case unboxing #notareview  (Read 5443 times)

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
TEX 80% Aluminum case unboxing #notareview
« on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 23:36:43 »
I'm not sure if it's alright to do this but here goes; Link to imgur album as follows:

http://imgur.com/a/mgqyv

Let me know what you think of the case at the comments below, hit like and subscribe.

jk this isn't youtube.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: TEX 80% Aluminum case unboxing #notareview
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 00:27:59 »
The only bad spot on the inside of the case looks like that was where the clip was that was supporting the part for the anodizing.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 01:11:12 »
The only bad spot on the inside of the case looks like that was where the clip was that was supporting the part for the anodizing.

Yeah it looks like it. But since it's the inside of the case so it wouldn't personally bother me as much unless you've ocd about it.

I've tried and it seems to fit a87 pcbs. Not sure about the top part though, I've only tried the bottom part. If a87 pcb switch holes fits the top part of the case then I'll try and make a custom plate to fit the a87 with this tex case.

Rapid-i wouldn't fit as the plate is a bit too long width wise but the qfr plate works fine. Rapid-i + qfr plate = alu rapid i

Offline t2russo

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 01:14:24 »
I'd be concerned about the spacing between the F-row and the number row.  Big difference between my Korean boards and my Costars in terms of the gap. 

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 01:22:29 »
I'd be concerned about the spacing between the F-row and the number row.  Big difference between my Korean boards and my Costars in terms of the gap.

Yeah that's one concern. What Korean board are you using? Gonna see if it fits a/b87

Offline t2russo

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 01:26:29 »
I have KMACs and the gap is about half that of the Filcos I own (~1/8" vs ~1/4").  I personally want to know if the novatouch fits in the Tex case.

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 01:42:31 »
I have KMACs and the gap is about half that of the Filcos I own (~1/8" vs ~1/4").  I personally want to know if the novatouch fits in the Tex case.

and i believe the gap between f-rows and num row is slightly smaller compared to costars?

also, we need a plate that's bent at the long edges like filco or most costar boards so that it sits down nicely. unless we use one of the acrylic bars to keep the plate up?

Offline Johan

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 13:53:59 »
I asked a cm storm rep a while ago, he said that if a qfr fits the novatouch "should" fit, but he couldn't guarantee anything.
Uh, stuff.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 October 2014, 14:00:24 »
All Korean boards [maybe some odd exceptions] have a 0.25u gap between F-row and num-row

Costar has a 0.5u gap

Cherry G80s have a 1u gap

On topic, that looks like a great case.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 02:00:04 »
All Korean boards [maybe some odd exceptions] have a 0.25u gap between F-row and num-row

Costar has a 0.5u gap

Cherry G80s have a 1u gap

On topic, that looks like a great case.

yeah the gaps are smaller. and can confirm that it wouldn't fit. even the plates don't fit, what more the top part of the case?

budget case with budget features I would say :D

I asked a cm storm rep a while ago, he said that if a qfr fits the novatouch "should" fit, but he couldn't guarantee anything.

qfr definitely fits. I've tested this with novatouch and also qfr-i and it doesn't fit due to the plate's width. but with the qfr-i what we could do is to make a plate that fits the tex case (basically make a plate that follows the exact dimension of filco/qfr plates and we're good to go! Not sure if this works with novatouch though.

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 17:01:20 »
Thanks for the pictures.  Do you know if the fingerprint issue is typical for aluminum cases?

Offline j0hnny

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 13:12:51 »
damn just the case w/o board still looks dope

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 13:22:38 »
Thanks for the pictures.  Do you know if the fingerprint issue is typical for aluminum cases?

anodizing doesn't like having people touch it

if you get certain colors it can be really bad
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Oatburner

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 10:34:59 »
I posted a review for this particular case on MK.com a while ago.

The only problem I have with mine is that some keycaps tend to get jammed under the aluminum top plate around the arrow key cluster, because the clearance is so tight. You also pretty much have to take the top plate off before removing keycaps.

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 07:14:11 »
I really want one of these cases, but MK.com told me they won't have more for another 6 months or so...

Thanks for doing this nice unboxing though! Looks great.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 07:52:15 »
I really want one of these cases, but MK.com told me they won't have more for another 6 months or so...

6 months? damn, that's way too long

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 08:19:51 »

6 months? damn, that's way too long

It is a long time, isn't it?

I emailed them asking if they were planning on restocking them, and this is the exact reply I received.

"We have them on order, but lead time is up to 6 months."

Up to six months, maybe they could be in stock sooner?

At least they will be back eventually, but I don't want to wait that long to give my Phantom a nice aluminum home.

Thanks again for doing the unboxing, they look awesome! Hopefully one is in my future sooner than six months. I love the look of the blue and silver ones.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)