Author Topic: TECK single-handed typing mode  (Read 1647 times)

Offline lydell

TECK single-handed typing mode
« on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 16:34:54 »
I've created a single-handed mode for the TECK.

It works by using the Num Lock and Fn layers. The original Num Lock layer is lost, while the original Fn layer is preserved (almost).

Press Num Lock to activate single-handed mode. That only changes the following:

• The space bars are turned into Fn keys.
  • The Home, End, Page Up and Page Down keys are turned into arrow keys.

Activating the Fn layer (holding one of the space bars) mirrors the keyboard, with just a few exceptions:

• The upper cluster (the F keys etc.) is not affected. To me, it does not make sense to mirror them. Besides, holding the space bar down while pressing an F key is an awful stretch. Lastly, it retains the standard Fn layer there.
  • The arrow keys are turned into Home, End, Page Up and Page Down.
  • Tab is turned into Space, to allow space to be typed. Not ideal, but the best I could think of.
  • Delete is turned into Pause. By default, Pause is on the 4 key in the Fn layer, but now it cannot anymore. (There are also keys on the 5 and 6 keys in the Fn layer by default, but I simply got rid of them.)

I use this when I'm casually browsing and I'm too lazy to use both hands, or when I'm drinking or eating something with one hand ;).

I chose to keep the standard layout. I use xkb to remap instead. This way, the firmware is responsible for the single-handed mirroring, and the software responsible for the keyboard layout (without even knowing there is a single-handed mode).