Author Topic: [GB] TaiChi TKL Keyboard ~ Manufactured by Eve (100% Shipped and Completed)  (Read 98533 times)

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
Ordering is closed.

Running my first GB for the community and trying to put this board to fruition, here is TaiChi, a TKL made by Eve.
Please refer to the Interest Check here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97582.0

This oriental looking board [TaiChi] is heavily inspired by the philosophy of Taichi, a Chinese cosmological term for the "Supreme Ultimate" state of undifferentiated absolute and infinite potential, the oneness before duality, from which Yin and Yang originate, can be compared with the old 無極. The word 太極 comes from I Ching: "易有太極,是生兩儀,兩儀生四象,四象生八卦,八卦定吉凶,吉凶生大業。

Here are some pictures of the prototype made:

Render spam corner:

Final render pictures

More photos of the keyboard here: https://imgur.com/a/PRzqDju

Version 2.3 Prototype before changes are made:

Pending final sales unit manufacturing*

General information and price of the keyboard. Prices are excluding shipping and excluding PayPal fees:
Layout comes in Winkey and Winkeyless. If you need both please drop your comments in the Other Remarks at the end of the Google form.

Kit 1 - USD 320
1. 6061 aluminium case
2. Brass TaiChi logo - Sandblasted
3. Aluminium universal switch plate
4. Aluminium bottom plate weight (Alternate colours)
5. Brass O weight - Sandblasted
6. Keyboard Box
7. PCB

Kit 2 - USD 391
1. 6061 aluminium case
2. Titanium TaiChi logo
3. Aluminium universal switch plate
4. Brass bottom plate weight - Sandblasted
5. Stainless Steel O weight - Polished
6. Keyboard Box
7. PCB

White & Black TaiChi Version - USD 330
1. 6061 aluminium case (Powder coated in white)
3. Aluminium universal switch plate - Anodized in black
4. Aluminium bottom plate weight - Anodized in black
5. Aluminium O weight - One anodized in black, the other power coated in white
6. Keyboard Box
7. PCB

Additional parts:
1. PCB USD 40
2. Brass switch plate - Sandblasted USD 35
3. Titanium TaiChi logo USD 25

Do note that shipping to USA will be approximately USD 50, Canada around USD 75. Rest of Asia / World will be advised.
I will invoice exact shipping cost when the board is ready for shipment.

Colours Selection:

Combination 1:
Keyboard case - Ink Black
Bottom curve weight - Silver
Universal Switch Plate - Red

Combination 2:
Keyboard case - Indigo
Bottom curve weight - Silver Gray
Universal Switch Plate - Ink Black

Combination 3:
Keyboard case - Red
Bottom curve weight - Titanium Gray
Universal Switch Plate - Orange

Combination 4:
Keyboard case - Dark Titanium Gray
Bottom curve weight - Ink Black with a tint of Green
Universal Switch Plate - Red

Important note:  Should you be choosing Kit 2, bottom curve weight will be defaulted to brass.

Colour Samples:

Ink Black - https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/437814154099949570/520235123405226005/-61b90e36294ca2d8.jpg
Silver - Usually this is clear ano
Red - https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/437814154099949570/520235125061976074/-50cfc72bc854d756.jpg
Indigo - Dark blue in layman terms https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/437814154099949570/520235123938164736/731f224762ce2a41.jpg
Silver Gray - https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/437814154099949570/520235123938164737/91582d3b33edad8.jpg
Titanium Gray - https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/437814154099949570/520235125061976075/2401542b7fdbcb27.jpg
Ink Black with a tint of Green - https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/437814154099949570/520235124512653322/-35ff5a64b705201f.jpg

These colour guides are merely just for reference. Don't be shocked at the rough colours of the picture cards presented here. You can refer to the IC for better representation of the finishing and colours.
For example, indigo would look more like this in person:

Do note the design has changed since this my first proto. Just for colour referencing.

PCB Information:
1. Bootmapper
2. Mini USB

MOQ and Allocation:
1. FCFS via Google Form - which will be release on 9 December 2018, 0000 HRS, GMT +8. There are maximum restriction of 4 boards per person. Incomplete or trash responses will be removed.
2. GB will end with 2018, or when MOQ reached, whichever is first. Final testing of the PCB and cases will be done during this time. Once given the clear by me, I will pay up so Eve can start production.
3. Minimum MOQ of 40, maximum of 80 (if we really do hit 80, order of shipment will be first in first out in multiple batches).
4. Suggested mode of payment - Transferwise (direct banking if you don't want minimal fees), PayPal - fees will apply.
5. Locals in Singapore will be given priority to the GB and payment will be made via direct banking.
6. As this is my first GB, in the event if PayPal decided to lock up my account for no reason, refunds will be made and mode of payment will change to Transferwise. (If MOQ doesn't hit by then, GB will be cancelled).
7. Strictly no cancellation or transfer of spots, since Eve will directly ship to you. If you want to transfer spots, do it after the keyboard is shipped. Language barrier can be a logistical nightmare.
8. Estimated delivery in 5 months: 3 months for production, 1 month for buffer during Chinese New Year factory shut down period and 1 month for QC and shipping.
9. Will provide monthly updates here, but I am very active in Reddit Mechkeys Discord - especially the cancerous Kustoms chat. Okonomiyaki#2832 is my user name.

Lastly do note, I am not getting any cut from this GB to make it affordable and I will be taking PayPal monetary risks trying to bring the board to you.
There might delay involved in a GB, so I would sincerely need your understanding. I really hope you guys would enjoy it in the end.

Edit: Grammar lol.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 August 2019, 06:12:37 by Mikiberry »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [GB] TaiChi TKL Keyboard ~ Manufactured by Eve
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 09:02:21 »
Approved
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 09:07:04 »
Beautiful board friend, good luck!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 09:28:52 »
From the IC:

7. Looking to help the settle the Moon and Mira replacement parts in the other GB so we could have a good start

Given the opening of the GB here, when is this item scheduled to complete?

Offline bengine

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 09:30:54 »
Good luck with your GB.

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 09:32:28 »
From the IC:

7. Looking to help the settle the Moon and Mira replacement parts in the other GB so we could have a good start

Given the opening of the GB here, when is this item scheduled to complete?

I just received the SF express parcel number 054433600177 from Eve. I need to check the details in it and ship it once I receive it.

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 09:49:45 »
If we choose kit 2, the bottom curve weight will be the sandblasted brass color, not the alternative aluminum color, right?

I can't decide which kit to get, and I love both indigo and red  :eek:

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 09:52:54 »
If we choose kit 2, the bottom curve weight will be the sandblasted brass color, not the alternative aluminum color, right?

I can't decide which kit to get, and I love both indigo and red  :eek:

That is correct haha.

Offline dimo

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 10:32:12 »
yess

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 10:48:04 »
Gorgeous keyboard. I can't really use TKL nowadays but this thing is a piece of art. Good luck with the group buy!
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 15:15:32 »
Is it just me or is the google form missing?

Offline NRbigfoot

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 15:28:54 »
Is the V2.3 proto indigo?
HBCP | FLX Virgo | aanzee | Mira SE | Leaf 80 | HHKB pro 1 | qxp | Rukia | IDB60 | equinox | No1Rev1 | Whale | Montage | 268.2 | Anniversary Whale | Jer80 | Evolv

Offline 8six753o9

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 15:43:58 »
Is it just me or is the google form missing?

1. FCFS via Google Form - which will be release on 9 December 2018, 0000 HRS, GMT +8. There are maximum restriction of 4 boards per person. Incomplete or trash responses will be removed.[/font]

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 16:48:42 »
Im a tad confused bout the red, is the red the red shown on the board because the color sample image almost looks orange?
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 December 2018, 16:56:08 by Jkush463 »

Offline dimo

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 16:50:07 »
how do i join? lol

it’s literally the comment above you

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 16:56:49 »
how do i join? lol

it’s literally the comment above you

yeah saw that after i commented,
i usually dont read the responses cause its a bunch of bs

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 17:53:11 »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 17:56:02 »
Im a tad confused bout the red, is the red the red shown on the board because the color sample image almost looks orange?

There are a lot of prototype photos in the Interest Check thread showing the colors, including the red/orange combination.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 17:56:34 »

Camera for the colour card looks potato. So I included the proto picture in my thread for reference.

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 17:57:25 »

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 18:18:00 »

Camera for the colour card looks potato. So I included the proto picture in my thread for reference.

okay so it is red just not the best quality pic, i figured i just wanted to be sure because i think red is what im going for.

Offline Jubileus

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 20:31:38 »
Hoping I could get in. I really love this board!

Offline Jedi

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 20:43:24 »
Red No3 looks like a perfect match for GMK Red Samurai or even GMK Burgundy.

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 06 December 2018, 22:01:52 »
Wondering how close that Indigo would match with GMK Yuri. the prototype photos make it look like it would match really well, but then the "in person" photo looks like it won't...

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 01:04:57 »
Clarified on PCB firmware used and USB headers.
Also the logo for TaiChi will be using the latest design by Artemie. Please refer to the last few post in my thread.

Offline Sylanthra

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 02:02:26 »
Any chance of a stainless steel plate in addition to brass? I strongly prefer stainless over brass or aluminum.

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 02:07:35 »
Any chance of a stainless steel plate in addition to brass? I strongly prefer stainless over brass or aluminum.

Working on larger piece of stainless steel is exorbitant, thus the idea was dropped.

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 06:41:54 »
Added a 3rd kit variant

White & Black TaiChi Version - USD 330
1. 6061 aluminium case (Powder coated in white)
3. Aluminium universal switch plate - Anodized in black
4. Aluminium bottom plate weight - Anodized in black
5. Aluminium O weight - One anodized in black, the other power coated in white
6. Keyboard Bag
7. PCB
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 December 2018, 10:16:39 by Mikiberry »

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 08:49:28 »
Got a few PMs asking for a sample of the titanium TaiChi which I currently do not have.

Here is the design as requested - but milled in aluminium for proto (to save cost before the actual buy)

I have asked Eve how titanium would actually look like and received samples of his past work for reference. Ignore the purple one.

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 11:14:32 »
I've been a longtime lurker of GH, and signed up just to make this post, as this is a project I've been most excited about.

I'm concerned with the new Yin-Yang design. I love it in concept, but I don't think it is properly executed. The old design conformed to the correct shape/proportions of a standard Yin-Yang, but the new one does not. I also don't think the design concept (making the two parts convex) interferes with adhering to this design.

Here's an image I found of the standard proportions of the Yin-Yang:

To make this properly convex, the following transformations from this would need to happen:

1. Increase the size of the left/right circles.
2. If constrained to 2D, these would overlap. Instead, reconnect them in the middle by angling them down/inward, keeping the edges touching the main big circle locked
3. The rest of each white/black area should continue at the same angle as their respective circles
4. The dots should be at the center of their respective circles.

And that's it. If I knew how to use a 3d modeling program, I would make this. Maybe somebody can help.

Right now this is the only thing that's keeping me from buying what would otherwise be an absolute masterpiece.

Offline dimo

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 11:16:08 »
i likes the older design as well. + this guys stats

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 11:21:32 »
I also just realized that the Yin-Yang on this board is a mirrored version of what is usually depicted.

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 11:54:23 »
I've been a longtime lurker of GH, and signed up just to make this post, as this is a project I've been most excited about.

I'm concerned with the new Yin-Yang design. I love it in concept, but I don't think it is properly executed. The old design conformed to the correct shape/proportions of a standard Yin-Yang, but the new one does not. I also don't think the design concept (making the two parts convex) interferes with adhering to this design.

Here's an image I found of the standard proportions of the Yin-Yang:
Show Image

To make this properly convex, the following transformations from this would need to happen:

1. Increase the size of the left/right circles.
2. If constrained to 2D, these would overlap. Instead, reconnect them in the middle by angling them down/inward, keeping the edges touching the main big circle locked
3. The rest of each white/black area should continue at the same angle as their respective circles
4. The dots should be at the center of their respective circles.

And that's it. If I knew how to use a 3d modeling program, I would make this. Maybe somebody can help.

Right now this is the only thing that's keeping me from buying what would otherwise be an absolute masterpiece.

1. One of the major key concern shown on the older design is making one side darker in shade then the other.
2. While I can anodize a side to a darker shade in black and do a clear anodization on the other, I would have an assembly issue.
3. Artemie actually thought of a good solution of making 2 parts convex, allowing different viewing angles to cast shade on the other half, removing the actual need of a secondary assembly before affixing the logo to the board.
4. While the concept of perfect symmetry is sound, I personally do not think the execution is poorly done.
5. Furthermore, it is already in the GB phase and last minute design changes would be detrimental to the buy as a whole.

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 12:10:18 »
1. One of the major key concern shown on the older design is making one side darker in shade then the other.
2. While I can anodize a side to a darker shade in black and do a clear anodization on the other, I would have an assembly issue.
3. Artemie actually thought of a good solution of making 2 parts convex, allowing different viewing angles to cast shade on the other half, removing the actual need of a secondary assembly before affixing the logo to the board.
4. While the concept of perfect symmetry is sound, I personally do not think the execution is poorly done.
5. Furthermore, it is already in the GB phase and last minute design changes would be detrimental to the buy as a whole.

I think the angled idea is great, but I would have to disagree on the quality of its execution. Can you at least center the dots to their circles? That's the most glaring fault. Mirroring it to it's correct orientation would be great too. I don't think either of these things would be very risky changes.

I'm confident other members would agree with me on at least centering the dots.

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 12:13:56 »
Looks nice - definitely tempting! I was wondering, is the spacing the same to other tkls like the tx84, mira etc - thinking about compatibility with the "Skinny A87" form factor for the hineybush tkl pcb.

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 12:17:35 »

I think the angled idea is great, but I would have to disagree on the quality of its execution. Can you at least center the dots to their circles? That's the most glaring fault. Mirroring it to it's correct orientation would be great too. I don't think either of these things would be very risky changes.

I'm confident other members would agree with me on at least centering the dots.

Centering them shouldn't be an issue, I will relook at the stp.
Will propose changes to center it from the yellow reference line to red as shown. Thanks.

« Last Edit: Fri, 07 December 2018, 12:25:27 by Mikiberry »

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 12:29:54 »
Looks nice - definitely tempting! I was wondering, is the spacing the same to other tkls like the tx84, mira etc - thinking about compatibility with the "Skinny A87" form factor for the hineybush tkl pcb.

It is hard for me to advise you at this stage as PCB size and measurement is not confirmed at the moment. Currently waiting for PCB from a new manu to arrive to perform a fitting test and design changes to ensure all else is okay.
Should I have any info on this, I would get back to you.

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 12:31:53 »

It is hard for me to advise you at this stage as PCB size and measurement is not confirmed at the moment. Currently waiting for PCB from a new manu to arrive to perform a fitting test and design changes to ensure all else is okay.

Cool - Thanks for the reply! Not a dealbreaker for me more just thinking about a potential second pcb / plate setup for alps with it down the line.

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 12:57:06 »

Cool - Thanks for the reply! Not a dealbreaker for me more just thinking about a potential second pcb / plate setup for alps with it down the line.

Interesting. I will talk to Eve to ask if I can release the plate file once the buy is concluded. At least you guys can use it to see if it is Alps capable or not.

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 13:35:50 »
The image you created for alignment didn't seem very precise, as you considered the inside edge of the lower circle as part of the circle (the camera was not directly from above). I went ahead and tried it myself:

Original:

Circle placements + alignment:

Mockup of fix:

Mockup of fix, Clockwise:
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 December 2018, 13:52:03 by booleanjulien »

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 18:11:48 »
The image you created for alignment didn't seem very precise, as you considered the inside edge of the lower circle as part of the circle (the camera was not directly from above). I went ahead and tried it myself:

Original:
Show Image

Circle placements + alignment:
Show Image

Mockup of fix:
Show Image

Mockup of fix, Clockwise:
Show Image

Will change it to mock up, not the clockwise version u mentioned.

Edit: Design updates have been communicated to Eve and is agreed upon.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 December 2018, 19:25:04 by Mikiberry »

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 22:28:52 »
Great news :) Thank you for being receptive to feedback this close to the group buy.

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 22:30:13 »
Great news :) Thank you for being receptive to feedback this close to the group buy.

Was responding at 2 a.m. last night. Hard to figure out what was wrong initially with text haha.

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 22:53:49 »
Board looks great, good luck with GB!!
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline SinjiOnO

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 22:56:01 »
Best of luck with the GB. Cheers

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 05:55:36 »
Form will be opened around 4 more hours.

Offline jlboi69

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 07:27:59 »
Edit: I can't read, gb isn't open yet.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 December 2018, 07:35:26 by jlboi69 »

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 07:35:42 »
Just missed, that's unfortunate. Good looking board too.

Open soonish in 2 hrs ++. You didn't miss it.