Author Topic: [IC] Timber Wolf, GB on 9/20  (Read 87600 times)

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: [IC] Timber Wolf, an XL "75%"
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 13:50:15 »
What's the angle on the board again? I don't see it listed in the OP. Thanks!

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 14:04:21 »
What's the angle on the board again? I don't see it listed in the OP. Thanks!

It's 8° :)

:p :thumb: Nearly died upon seeing the GMK Phantom set-up... I was already supper into this board when the GB starts, but seeing that purple case pretty much confirmed it for me. I am sure I will find a lay-out that I really like: so take my money!

Yeah purple was the main winner write in color from the IC (along with white and PC lol, but I'm just looking at ano alu for now), so i think next proto will be trying out a purple

Offline goddream

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 19:42:30 »
Oooft the case!! What switches are you going to test with it?

Also if the case comes in a dark purple that matches GMK Phantom I will HAVE to buy this board - i just bought the set for another build but i can always find other caps for that  :cool:
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #103 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 00:08:13 »

Also if the case comes in a dark purple that matches GMK Phantom I will HAVE to buy this board - i just bought the set for another build but i can always find other caps for that  :cool:

I'm going for lubed & filmed T1s. gonna try to get my hands on some inks too for a future build, but i really dig T1s

the purple likely won't be as vibrant as GMK Phantom (the pantone I'll be giving them is 8802 C) but i think it will be close enough and dark enough for them to work well together

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 14:12:28 »
I'm totally wiped, but proto assembly is complete. It's pretty much the best thing ever. Typing test is coming, but I need to do some chores and get some sleep. In the meantime, I'll just leave you with these...

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 14:16:32 »
I'm totally wiped, but proto assembly is complete. It's pretty much the best thing ever. Typing test is coming, but I need to do some chores and get some sleep. In the meantime, I'll just leave you with these...

That looks great IRL, I really like how the anodizing turned out. Looking forward to that video!

Offline rondg

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 19:34:20 »

I want one. Looking forward to the typing test!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 27 June 2019, 21:43:44 »
I'm looking forward to seeing the Timberwolf engraving on the back and TBR on the front too!  :p

Offline Shihatsu

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 03:41:51 »
Sigh... *zip*

Can a mod pls tag this as NSFW allready, FFS?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 12:00:20 »

My "recording setup" is pretty ****e, and I need to re-tune some stabs, but I still think it sounds pretty good. Especially in person ;)

Offline goddream

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 07:57:40 »

My "recording setup" is pretty ****e, and I need to re-tune some stabs, but I still think it sounds pretty good. Especially in person ;)

Bruhhhhhh
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 13:09:08 »
This is the innovation we need :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline equalunique

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 30 June 2019, 22:21:13 »
I thought that Space Cadet picture with a blue background was a render because everything about it is so perfect

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Offline DabbyBear

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 14:01:21 »

Literally in the same exact boat - though I got Phantom because I saw how well it went with the dark purple render. Cannot wait to see this GB get started!

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 21:41:10 »

Literally in the same exact boat - though I got Phantom because I saw how well it went with the dark purple render. Cannot wait to see this GB get started!

same. just playing the waiting game now, myself. gotta finish 3d printing a proto of the updated design to make sure everything fits right before I send it to get cnc'd. once that arrives, I'll figure out final pricing and put the GB together.

right now, final colors i'm expecting to do are "smoke" (the graphite black, but it's not quite black and not quite gray so I'm just gonna call it some random name), silver, and purple. if it won't jack up the price a whole bunch, I also want to do blue gray, red, and rose gold (in that order), but we'll see - the design's gotten more complex in order to prevent rack marks from anodization, and I want the price to stay manageable

Offline goddream

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 22:10:45 »
same. just playing the waiting game now, myself. gotta finish 3d printing a proto of the updated design to make sure everything fits right before I send it to get cnc'd. once that arrives, I'll figure out final pricing and put the GB together.

right now, final colors i'm expecting to do are "smoke" (the graphite black, but it's not quite black and not quite gray so I'm just gonna call it some random name), silver, and purple. if it won't jack up the price a whole bunch, I also want to do blue gray, red, and rose gold (in that order), but we'll see - the design's gotten more complex in order to prevent rack marks from anodization, and I want the price to stay manageable

Take your time, lets get this perfect! (definitely not me trying to buy time to get some money)

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 05 August 2019, 21:01:32 »
Excited to follow this board.  This has nearly everything I want. 

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 20:38:17 »
Just checking but is the led indicator the only light in the board?

Best,

Fog

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 22:53:28 »

Best,

Fog

Correct.

btw as a general update, sorry about the slow progress, but prototype number 2 was damaged in shipping from the anodization place back to the factory. They sorted it out (and re-did the anoidzation) and have just shipped it to me, so I should be posting an update on Tuesday or Wednesday. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

Offline vilagefool

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 04:50:53 »

Correct.

btw as a general update, sorry about the slow progress, but prototype number 2 was damaged in shipping from the anodization place back to the factory. They sorted it out (and re-did the anoidzation) and have just shipped it to me, so I should be posting an update on Tuesday or Wednesday. Thanks for your patience, everyone.

As others have stated, take your time. Really looking forward to this board and MW5 (pleasedontsuck)....hype!

I kinda want to see if I can get a mech etched onto the bottom

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 02:52:23 »
Gimme gimme gimme

Offline Kingk22

• Naptime
« Reply #121 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 10:08:29 »
Was surprised how much I like the look  :thumb:

Offline Protein

« Reply #122 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 12:02:32 »
I can see myself reaching for this over a tkl. The battle-tank-destroyer-v8-800poundsoftorque look is growing on me. I'm digging the macro section.

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 16:04:26 »
Looking forward to an expected update either later today or tomorrow - certainly a highlight right now.  Thanks for replying to my other question.  Out of curiosity - would the PCB be able to have lighting added to it?  Your board literally has everything I could ever want, just no lighting - so I'm drawing a hard line on whether to go all in or wait for something else.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 16:52:40 »

Best,

Fog

Correct.

My body is ready

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 11:53:40 »
Needs an ISO enter for good measure, please.

Yeah, I'd like akimbo ISO Enter compat if possible :thumb:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #126 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 12:02:27 »
Proto 2 has arrived. This one I had anodized with a rose gold top and purple bottom, so I could check out those colors. The rose gold is a tiny bit on the pink side for my taste (I like it a bit more peachy) but it's within margin of error. The purple is just a bit blue for me, but I've already settled on one that's just a tiny bit more red, so that should be perfect.

As far as geometry changes go, I've made the sides totally angled. this cuts down on the weight by a whopping 80 grams (fully built, v2 weighs in at 2780 grams) but it's much nicer to handle. I've also made efforts to make it considerably less sharp. there's still some slight pointiness at the corners, but it's been rounded over at least, and it's not sharp

another big change was the addition of a badge in the bottom case - the previous prototype, they weren't able to rack it from the inside, which obviously isn't gonna fly. so i added a nice little badge, put a sick timber wolf engraving on it, and I think it looks pretty fresh. there's a machining mark on it, but i'll talk to the manu about that (it's currently in silver brass, but I might change it to bead blasted stainless steel)

i also added an engraving to the inside of the top case with the "variant designation" (this one's a TBR-A). Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a picture of it before building it up, and it's hidden by the PCB. oops

the one issue is that the threads are a bit scuffed. i was able to screw everything together, but it wasn't the pleasant experience i hope to deliver. so im having a nice conversation with my manu about that. hopefully i won't need another proto but we'll see.

please forgive my filthy keycaps

224402-0               224404-1

224406-2

224400-3               224408-4

« Last Edit: Wed, 14 August 2019, 13:57:14 by Croktopus »

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 22:29:39 »
Looking forward to an expected update either later today or tomorrow - certainly a highlight right now.  Thanks for replying to my other question.  Out of curiosity - would the PCB be able to have lighting added to it?  Your board literally has everything I could ever want, just no lighting - so I'm drawing a hard line on whether to go all in or wait for something else.

Yeah understandable, but personally i'm not a huge fan of keeb lighting and didn't want to include more than an indicator.

Needs an ISO enter for good measure, please.

Yeah, I'd like akimbo ISO Enter compat if possible :thumb:

yeah, only one ISO enter, unfortunately. i tried to squeeze another one in, but KLE told me i was being just too much of a meme

Offline bricra1983

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 15:05:44 »
This looks killer!  Super into it!

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 15:46:19 »
Thanks for the reply.  Either way excited to see this board make it to the GB stage.  Hope you have more in store for us soon.

Best,

Fog

Offline Shihatsu

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 16 August 2019, 01:02:57 »
I don't like The angles on the underside of the board - I personally would prefer to havs "sidewalls" straight down. But everytging else on the second proto makes me jizz my pants and scream "O shut up you sexy bastard and take my money". I want this! Interchangebale plates with different TimberWolf pics (for Alt. Conf. A for example) would be a sick add!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 17:15:56 »
Was a little disappointed when I saw the Timberwolf outline on the back, not because I don't like the design but I thought it was too small. However, I understand you don't want to make it a weight and if it was to be any bigger it would probably add more to the cost than you'd like.

Have the variants been finalized? I see you went with variant 1 for the first proto. Which variant did you go with for proto 2? Also, do you mind uploading larger images? It's hard to make out the new geometry changes from the image sizes you submitted.

PS: Don't know if you are a fan of the Battletech board game, but there is a Kickstarter currently going on for the newly redesigned Clan Invasion Box set. They are also redesigning a lot of the mechs since the original miniatures were quite outdated. Cheers!  :thumb:

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #132 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 19:37:41 »
Was a little disappointed when I saw the Timberwolf outline on the back, not because I don't like the design but I thought it was too small. However, I understand you don't want to make it a weight and if it was to be any bigger it would probably add more to the cost than you'd like.

Have the variants been finalized? I see you went with variant 1 for the first proto. Which variant did you go with for proto 2? Also, do you mind uploading larger images? It's hard to make out the new geometry changes from the image sizes you submitted.

PS: Don't know if you are a fan of the Battletech board game, but there is a Kickstarter currently going on for the newly redesigned Clan Invasion Box set. They are also redesigning a lot of the mechs since the original miniatures were quite outdated. Cheers!  :thumb:

Was surprised to see the branding on the underside - granted as long as any branding isn't in your face - seems good to me.  I've been curious on finalized variants too since this should be getting to the GB stage soon.

Hope progress is going well.

Best,

Fog 

Offline EvaoftheIvy

« Reply #133 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 00:16:24 »
Just found this been looking for something interesting like this as TKL looking forward to it! Also love the pink peach color!

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #134 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 00:34:40 »
sorry, looks like my pics didn't paint quite the right picture. the badge is internal, only existing to give the anodization factory some nice spots to hold onto, and add a bit of flair. the added cost was pretty low (or at least, it will be for the GB) and I think its worth it.

more pics!

224692-0                                             224694-1

Offline rondg

« Reply #135 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 01:17:25 »
How heavy is the board built?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 01:34:17 »

about 2.8 kg.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 08:39:48 »

about 2.8 kg.

BIGBOYE

I’m really excited for this case. My dream combo would be
1. Layout 1 for the left column
2. Layout 2 for the frow and nav cluster (i really like want that knob)
3. Layout 6 for the right, but you’re selling me on that 2u delete key idea

Not sure if red is being considered for the case color, but if it is, then everything will be perfect.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 20:23:16 »

about 2.8 kg.

BIGBOYE

I’m really excited for this case. My dream combo would be
1. Layout 1 for the left column
2. Layout 2 for the frow and nav cluster (i really like want that knob)
3. Layout 6 for the right, but you’re selling me on that 2u delete key idea

Not sure if red is being considered for the case color, but if it is, then everything will be perfect.

The next and final prototype is very similar to that - it just uses 4 keys instead of 5 in the left column. I'm ordering a color sample for the red, as well :)

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #139 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 20:36:28 »
The next and final prototype is very similar to that - it just uses 4 keys instead of 5 in the left column. I'm ordering a color sample for the red, as well :)

Best news I've heard all week! I know purple/violet was the dark horse of the poll on case colors but I like my mechas, both Western and Japanese, red.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #140 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 22:13:04 »

i think ive got 3 variants decided. hopefully can offer those at a base price., with custom variants costing more.

and yeah, i managed to hold out until like 10 minutes before it ended, when i bought in at i think star colonel. im so ****ing excited

Offline rondg

« Reply #141 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 22:40:58 »
Can we have a build video?  ;D

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 00:28:13 »

definitely something i intend to do before shipping, hopefully while the GB is running. still need to figure out a way to film it though lol

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 06:00:58 »
sorry, looks like my pics didn't paint quite the right picture. the badge is internal, only existing to give the anodization factory some nice spots to hold onto, and add a bit of flair. the added cost was pretty low (or at least, it will be for the GB) and I think its worth it.

more pics!

(Attachment Link)                                               (Attachment Link)

Ahhhhh so pumped.  Seeing these updates were the highlight of my weekend. 

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 08:19:15 »

definitely something i intend to do before shipping, hopefully while the GB is running. still need to figure out a way to film it though lol

Dumb questions about the Timber Wolf, sorry:

1. As the keeb is plateless, will the top half of the case be used in its place? Or will the switches be soldered directly into the PCB?

2. The renders look tight. Can screw-in stabs fit?

3. Is the bottom case a solid chunk of aluminum or is it hollow?

4. Since this is such a big case, can I fit a dampening pad between the bottom case and the PCB without creating too much pressure on the PCB?

5. I'm sure switches and caps contribute to this, but in general can you describe how it felt like to type on the prototypes?

6. Is the BattleTech game developed Harebrained and produced by Paradox a good introduction to the BattleTech universe?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #145 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 09:36:51 »

1. As the keeb is plateless, will the top half of the case be used in its place? Or will the switches be soldered directly into the PCB?

4. Since this is such a big case, can I fit a dampening pad between the bottom case and the PCB without creating too much pressure on the PCB?

5. I'm sure switches and caps contribute to this, but in general can you describe how it felt like to type on the prototypes?

6. Is the BattleTech game developed Harebrained and produced by Paradox a good introduction to the BattleTech universe?

Thanks in advance!

1. there is no plate that the switches clip into, instead it relies on the pcb fixing pins on the switch itself, which works pretty good. there are a few drawbacks to this - mainly, switch makers dont all follow cherry spec and some have thicc legs (gateron) and some have skinny ones (kailh cream). i tuned the hole size to make it so it's not painful to insert gats, but kailh creams are definitely a bit loose. still, once you solder them, they're secure

2. not sure what you mean by tight, but yes screw ins fit (they are even required if you want to do a 2u delete)

3 and 4. it's a solid chunk of aluminum, there is roughly 1mm between the bottom of the switch leg and the top of the inside of the bottom case (using cherry spec switches, this may vary a bit with other oems). this means that you should be able to fit a 1mm piece of rubber, or up to a 2.5mm thick piece of foam if it's open enough to allow switch legs to poke through with ease. personally, i dont really think it's necessary, as it doesn't sound hollow at all to me, but it is something i plan to test to see if it makes a difference

5. at the end of the day, i definitely think that switches make the biggest difference, and to be honest, i don't have that much experience with other custom keyboards to compare it to. but i am enjoying the flex quite a bit, as it still gives me a very satisfying bottom out without feeling like im slamming my fingers into the desk like on some experimental boards i've made with zero flex (though honestly, i do enjoy that style as well, it's pretty fun with clickies). there are definitely flexier boards, but...id say this one is up there. to give you an idea, other keycaps visibly move if i just go like asdfasdfasdf (though just barely)

6. id say hbs's battletech is the best way to get into the universe. its set in a nice little corner where they could be pretty free in making up lore, but it gives you a good feel for the tone and some concept of the bigger players. or you could just play MW3 or 4 if you're into retro games
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 August 2019, 09:38:50 by Croktopus »

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 10:32:29 »

Thanks in advance!

1. there is no plate that the switches clip into, instead it relies on the pcb fixing pins on the switch itself, which works pretty good. there are a few drawbacks to this - mainly, switch makers dont all follow cherry spec and some have thicc legs (gateron) and some have skinny ones (kailh cream). i tuned the hole size to make it so it's not painful to insert gats, but kailh creams are definitely a bit loose. still, once you solder them, they're secure

2. not sure what you mean by tight, but yes screw ins fit (they are even required if you want to do a 2u delete)

3 and 4. it's a solid chunk of aluminum, there is roughly 1mm between the bottom of the switch leg and the top of the inside of the bottom case (using cherry spec switches, this may vary a bit with other oems). this means that you should be able to fit a 1mm piece of rubber, or up to a 2.5mm thick piece of foam if it's open enough to allow switch legs to poke through with ease. personally, i dont really think it's necessary, as it doesn't sound hollow at all to me, but it is something i plan to test to see if it makes a difference

5. at the end of the day, i definitely think that switches make the biggest difference, and to be honest, i don't have that much experience with other custom keyboards to compare it to. but i am enjoying the flex quite a bit, as it still gives me a very satisfying bottom out without feeling like im slamming my fingers into the desk like on some experimental boards i've made with zero flex (though honestly, i do enjoy that style as well, it's pretty fun with clickies). there are definitely flexier boards, but...id say this one is up there. to give you an idea, other keycaps visibly move if i just go like asdfasdfasdf (though just barely)

6. id say hbs's battletech is the best way to get into the universe. its set in a nice little corner where they could be pretty free in making up lore, but it gives you a good feel for the tone and some concept of the bigger players. or you could just play MW3 or 4 if you're into retro games

Thanks for the fast response!

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 14:51:08 »
Have been curious --- you initially said that you were looking to make about 20 units for this first group buy.

Is that plan still holding?  Is there way more interest now?  Is the plan to start the GB shortly after the third prototype arrives? 

Best,

Fog

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 20:43:25 »
Have been curious --- you initially said that you were looking to make about 20 units for this first group buy.

Is that plan still holding?  Is there way more interest now?  Is the plan to start the GB shortly after the third prototype arrives? 

Best,

Fog

Right now I'm thinking around 40, with 20 as the MOQ. There's more interest than I was expecting, but it's hard to say how much interest will translate into sales, and I really don't want to go too crazy on my first GB. That being said, I will be ordering extras of everything except for one-off layouts for QA purposes, and selling extras/B-stock after all orders have been fulfilled.

The manu has sent photos of the 3rd proto and it looks good (well, colors are kind of a mixed bag, but all that info will be in my next update when i actually get them and i can say for certain), they say they fixed the only issues I had with the last one, so I'm preparing everything for the GB now, getting final quotes for pricing, etc.

Offline lush_bunny

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 20:47:06 »

Right now I'm thinking around 40, with 20 as the MOQ. There's more interest than I was expecting, but it's hard to say how much interest will translate into sales, and I really don't want to go too crazy on my first GB. That being said, I will be ordering extras of everything except for one-off layouts for QA purposes, and selling extras/B-stock after all orders have been fulfilled.

The manu has sent photos of the 3rd proto and it looks good (well, colors are kind of a mixed bag, but all that info will be in my next update when i actually get them and i can say for certain), they say they fixed the only issues I had with the last one, so I'm preparing everything for the GB now, getting final quotes for pricing, etc.

Will you consider preorders separate or combined with the GB? I really want this board.