Author Topic: Witness Protection Program?  (Read 5747 times)

Offline Kavik

Witness Protection Program?
« on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 23:13:25 »
I had a friend from elementary school to high school who was rather odd. He walked as though he had "had a pole up his butt" (in the words of his mother), carried a hard shell igloo cooler as his lunchbox (packed with candy bars and two bottles of soda every day), had a rolling backpack long before it was even close to commonplace, didn't talk to anyone but me and very occasionally my other friends (but usually only in a response), had the kind of acne that scars the face (and didn't treat it), and, after reaching puberty, understanding a word he said was neigh impossible. His mom had a bowl cut and always wore large dark sunglasses and a gray T-shirt; although his dad just seemed like an old country guy with a mustache.

My other friends and I always joked that he was in the witness protection program because no one had ever been to his house, his parents were reluctant to let him go to others' houses, and, even when the school required his address for things like Science Fair, his parents made him use a P.O. Box. His mother's appearance also gave the impression of someone incognito.

One day around March in high school, he was out sick for a few days. But he never came back; he was out for the rest of the year. He wasn't at school the next year or the next either. No one at school, save our small friend group, ever mentioned him again. Since his family was so secretive, we had no way of getting in touch with him: I don't remember if anyone had an up-to-date phone number for him, and he didn't have a cellphone since they weren't ubiquitous yet.

We continued to joke that he was in the witness protection program; however, now I am wondering if that may have been true. Over fifteen years later, I still have never heard from him or seen him nor have my friends, with the exception of one who claims to have seen him buying Doom 3 at Circuit City circa 2006. He has no presence on the Internet that I can find either.

What do you think could have happened?
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 November 2019, 01:27:19 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Witness Protection Program?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 23:39:33 »
I don't know, but your description of the facts is fascinating.  I wanna hear more!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 00:08:35 »
Maybe his dad had a high security government job.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 04:50:00 »
This is intriguing, though I'm not sure how not giving a fake name and address to people who know nothing of your past life would compromise your safety if you are in the program, that's the point of getting new ones.  Dressing conspicuously also sounds a bad idea as if you were trying to track her down and got close but couldn't see anyone who matched the description it must be the person obviously hiding.  This might be different if you live in a city with loads of people but I was under the impression they 'hid' people in rural areas.  As to 'internet presence' I assume you mean social media?  In that case I don't exist either.  Loners don't need to...

From the described terrible diet and lack of healthcare I'm going to believe the story given - he got sick and probably died.  You were young (I think 13/14 from your description? Not sure on US school ages) and not close so they didn't bother to tell you.

You could contact the school now and ask claiming to be doing a reunion?  I don't think revealing someone wasn't dead years ago violates any privacy laws, if they still have records.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 05:30:21 »
I had a friend from elementary school to high school who was rather odd. He walked as though he had "had a pole up his butt" (in the words of his mother), carried a hard shell igloo cooler as his lunchbox (packed with candy bars and two bottles of soda every day), had a rolling backpack long before it was even close to commonplace, didn't talk to anyone but me and very occasionally my other friends (but usually only in a response), had the kind of acne that scars the face (and didn't treat it), and, after reaching puberty, understanding a word he said was neigh impossible. His mom had a bowl cut and always wore large dark sunglasses and a gray T-shirt; although his dad just seemed like an old country guy with a mustache.

My other friends and I always joked that he was in the witness protection program because no one had ever been to his house, his parents were reluctant to let him go to others' houses, and, even when the school required his address for things like Science Fair, his parents made him use a P.O. Box. His mother's appearance also gave the impression of someone incognito.

One day around March in high school, he was out sick for a few days. But he never came back; he was out for the rest of the year. He wasn't at school the next year or the next either. No one at school, save our small friend group, ever mentioned him again. Since his family was so secretive, we had no way of getting in touch with him: I don't remember if anyone had an up-to-date phone number for him, and he didn't have a cellphone since they weren't ubiquitous yet.

We continued to joke that he was in the witness protection program; however, now I am wondering if that may have been true. Over fifteen years later, I still have never heard from him or seen him nor have my friends, with the exception of one who claims to have seen him buying Doom 3 at Circuit City circa 2006. He has no presence on the Internet that I can find either.

What do you think could have happened?

Do you know about any news related to the town that was attempted cover up?

sorry for my broken english.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 05:45:59 »
I agree with Suicidal_orange, sounds opposite of witness protection.

Sounds more like the family may have been on the run, in a cult or undocumented.
Also sounds like a possibly abusive relationship and/or a kidnap victim (him and possibly the mom).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 08:14:59 »
I agree with Suicidal_orange, sounds opposite of witness protection.

Sounds more like the family may have been on the run, in a cult or undocumented.
Also sounds like a possibly abusive relationship and/or a kidnap victim (him and possibly the mom).

/Headscratch...

Very possible.

Mom could've been hiding bruises.

As for the dude's acne,  That's like every young person these days eating high cholesterol animal based diets.

When Tp4 were younger, VERY few people had acne.  And back in Tp4's village (pre industrial China,  THERE WAS NO ACNE,  except the butcher's son,  they were the only people with acne in the whole village. Mother father, and child.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 10:11:24 »
You guys make some good points that obviously hiding is a bad form of hiding.

suicidal_orange, I was 15, and I think he was 16 at the time.

Here are some other details:
-This was a small private school. At one point, our class was the largest in the whole school with ~35 students (around 23 at graduation IIRC).
-In response to TP4, his acne wasn't typical teenage acne. It was like a beard of pimples with yellow tips. We also thought his diet was at least partially responsible. (I forgot to mention that the primary food in his lunch was pizza).
-I was his best friend until I stayed home sick one day in 8th grade or thereabouts. One of my other friends talked to him that day, and, from then on, my other friend was the only one he talked to.
-He was a very big Mario/Yoshi fan and loved his SNES. From what he told me, his parents let him play video games in only 5-15 minute increments based on either his behavior or homework completion (I can't quite remember), which obviously made playing certain games rather difficult.
-His mom did like me and my mom (they talked occasionally). His mom gave us $100 or so when my dad was unemployed, she gave me a drawing pad and pencil once so that he and I could draw together (we drew crappy comic books throughout elementary), and she gave me a giant box with 10 new Transformers one Christmas.
-We used to call each other on the phone in elementary school, so they at least allowed us to have his phone number at one point.
-Although they were reluctant, he did spend the night at my buddy's house a couple times. However, once or twice at others' birthday parties, his dad either stayed there with him and took him home early or came to pick him up after a few hours.
-According to him, they lived in an apartment (but could afford private school).

I'm not sure any of these details are relevant, but they at least give a bit more background.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 10:37:54 »
Yea, Extreme acne is hormonal.  Modern milk has high quantities of Estrogen, because the cows are Pregnant throughout their lives to continuously produce milk before slaughter.

A cow is pregnant,  High hormone levels. but there's not suppose to be milk at this point.

The Calf is born, cow's hormones lower,  the calf drinks the milk.

TODAY,  the Cow is kept on a rather insane milking while pregant cycle, so you have Super elevated hormones in the milk.

CHEESE is a milk concentrate. This is why milk consumption correlates so well with hormone dependent cancers such as breast/ prostate.  It accelerates cancer growth significantly. Turbo fuel for cancer.

In SOME PEOPLE, like your buddy, it also causes enough endocrine disruption to manifest in Severe Cystic Acne.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 11:54:49 »
You guys make some good points that obviously hiding is a bad form of hiding.

suicidal_orange, I was 15, and I think he was 16 at the time.

Here are some other details:
-This was a small private school. At one point, our class was the largest in the whole school with ~35 students (around 23 at graduation IIRC).
-In response to TP4, his acne wasn't typical teenage acne. It was like a beard of pimples with yellow tips. We also thought his diet was at least partially responsible. (I forgot to mention that the primary food in his lunch was pizza).
-I was his best friend until I stayed home sick one day in 8th grade or thereabouts. One of my other friends talked to him that day, and, from then on, my other friend was the only one he talked to.
-He was a very big Mario/Yoshi fan and loved his SNES. From what he told me, his parents let him play video games in only 5-15 minute increments based on either his behavior or homework completion (I can't quite remember), which obviously made playing certain games rather difficult.
-His mom did like me and my mom (they talked occasionally). His mom gave us $100 or so when my dad was unemployed, she gave me a drawing pad and pencil once so that he and I could draw together (we drew crappy comic books throughout elementary), and she gave me a giant box with 10 new Transformers one Christmas.
-We used to call each other on the phone in elementary school, so they at least allowed us to have his phone number at one point.
-Although they were reluctant, he did spend the night at my buddy's house a couple times. However, once or twice at others' birthday parties, his dad either stayed there with him and took him home early or came to pick him up after a few hours.
-According to him, they lived in an apartment (but could afford private school).

I'm not sure any of these details are relevant, but they at least give a bit more background.

Seems like they were strict on him, then

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 05:46:22 »
Man someone really wanted those kidneys.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 09:03:33 »
You know, gotta get that 2080ti

Offline Kavik

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 09:34:20 »

Hahaha, reading this after your reply to my other thread was gold. Thanks for the laugh.  :))

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 22:11:07 »
Followers of the tin hat society?
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Kavik

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 September 2021, 13:01:27 »
After nearly 20 years, there is a lead: he has made a Facebook account. Not much information is available on his page, but it's enough to confirm his identity, including a recent (at least relatively) picture of him. He is alive. More investigation to follow (maybe).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 September 2021, 13:08:45 »
After nearly 20 years, there is a lead: he has made a Facebook account. Not much information is available on his page, but it's enough to confirm his identity, including a recent (at least relatively) picture of him. He is alive. More investigation to follow (maybe).

Ask him about his cholesterol lvl,

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 27 September 2021, 06:50:29 »
This is great thread, I haven't seen it before, just read now and I'm intrigued!
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 03 October 2021, 03:17:48 »
How on earth did you find this account, do you do a monthly(?) search?!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Kavik

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 04 October 2021, 10:59:51 »

Haha, no, it appears he just recently created an account, so he began sending friend requests to various old teachers and students from high school.

I talked to him for an hour via FB messenger. I was trying to be friendly and not grill him, so I didn't get a ton of information.

• His writing style is very formal - good grammar, good spelling, to the point. He didn't offer much beyond what I specifically asked.
  • He's taking online classes and CLEP tests at a distant University currently, hoping to attend in person later and major in Computer Science or Information Systems.
  • He was on a hockey team, which is surprising given his previous lack of physical coordination.
  • He likes foreign language, which is surprising given his previous lack of communication skills.
  • He didn't attend another school later on. He got a high school equivalency degree. He didn't offer any details about why he left, and I didn't press him about it.

I didn't ask about his parents since I figure there's a decent chance one or both could be deceased since they were fairly old when they had him. I didn't get a chance to ask what he does for work since most of the conversation was about academics.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 October 2023, 23:35:33 by Kavik »

Offline phinix

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 02:32:33 »

Haha, no, it appears he just recently created an account, so he began sending friend requests to various old teachers and students from high school.

I talked to him for an hour via FB messenger. I was trying to be friendly and not grill him, so I didn't get a ton of information.

• His writing style if very formal - good grammar, good spelling, to the point. He didn't offer much beyond what I specifically asked.
  • He's taking online classes and CLEP tests at a distant University currently, hoping to attend in person later and major in Computer Science or Information Systems.
  • He was on a hockey team, which is surprising given his previous lack of physical coordination.
  • He likes foreign language, which is surprising given his previous lack of communication skills.
  • He didn't attend another school later on. He got a high school equivalency degree. He didn't offer any details about why he left, and I didn't press him about it.

I didn't ask about his parents since I figure there's a decent chance one or both could be deceased since they were fairly old when they had him. I didn't get a chance to ask what he does for work since most of the conversation was about academics.

Press him!  :D
Not much, but I'm sure he will say more during second chat. You need to keep chat going  ;)
This is better than a book I'm reading, hehe.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 04:55:42 »

Not much, but I'm sure he will say more during second chat. You need to keep chat going  ;)

No, if he gets spooks, his handler might move him again..

Offline phinix

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 06:13:06 »

No, if he gets spooks, his handler might move him again..

True...
This is very delicate situation.
Proceed with extreme caution.