geekhack Community > Keyboard Keycaps

Convex spherical surface keycaps?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Volny:
The keyboard world can be surprisingly conservative in some ways. It's ostensibly a very vibrant market, but much of that is people all wanting tiny variations of the same old stuff, with not much incentive for companies to try new things.

I don't think I'd like convex keys for the 'resting fingers' reason mentioned earlier, but it's certainly not a bad idea. The amount of keycap sets you can get online is astronomical, so it is a bit puzzling that no one makes a convex set.

The DOM profile by Dwarf Factory is convex though, so if you have a spare few thousand dollars you could make yourself a very pretty concave set from those XD

noisyturtle:
I have looked for exactly this very thoroughly. No one makes convex caps, it's already difficult sourcing spherical ones. The nice ones are kinda rare, not necessarily expensive, but difficult to find. There are a few retro spherical convex caps, but good luck sourcing them and **** knows what stem they use.

If anyone ever finds a nice set of Z-profile spherical key caps that can fit a full-size or TKL and actually be found readily let me know. Convex or not.

Mikhail-222:

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Fri, 22 October 2021, 13:57:01 ---I have looked for exactly this very thoroughly. No one makes convex caps, it's already difficult sourcing spherical ones. The nice ones are kinda rare, not necessarily expensive, but difficult to find. There are a few retro spherical convex caps, but good luck sourcing them and **** knows what stem they use.

If anyone ever finds a nice set of Z-profile spherical key caps that can fit a full-size or TKL and actually be found readily let me know. Convex or not.

--- End quote ---
Sorry what is Z-profile? Never heard about it.
There are some spherical retro caps with cherry-like profile on aliexpress, I have these from YMDK

https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005002941406489.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.37.58003144dkJgtO&_ga=2.239126912.2025575392.1637290627-269866973.1614372166&_gac=1.57230808.1634759352.CjwKCAjw_L6LBhBbEiwA4c46uqYY4DQlwXhUcM_b1MvHGqYiZNVqEV9urZ7xBEvsyAxpVWtbms6HBxoCQ1oQAvD_BwE

Feels nice apart from the corner edges, I have tried to grind the edges with sandpaper and it made it closer to
what I am looking for, not perfect, but quite satisfying.

Surefoot:
"Big flat top surface", there's MDA, and to a lesser extent XDA. Both are quite flat (even though XDA is categorized as spherical). MDA is sculpted, with a very large flat-ish top. There's also G20 profile, but quite difficult to source (try Signature Plastics).

noisyturtle:
It's like Top-Hat/ stepped profile, but the caps are always flat or slightly concave. Never seen a full convex set, only convex modifiers like alt or ctrl.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version