geekhack Community > Off Topic

Dog Attack

(1/5) > >>

Kavik:
Monday night, my wife and I took our dog on a walk. Normally, our dog walks half a mile or less because of her age, but, because we'd waited to take her until the evening, she had a lot more energy and walked about a mile and a half and even went into parts of the neighborhood she hadn't ventured into before.

We were almost home when she decided to take the turn before our street, which wasn't a big deal since it ultimately leads to our house too. There was someone walking two other dogs in the distance, coming towards us, but our dog's nose led her across the street, so now we were on opposite sidewalks. Apparently, one of the dogs was not on a leash and ran over to sniff ours. The owner was a 10-11 year old girl who was holding another bigger dog by a collar or choke chain, not a leash. It looked as if the dog was stronger than the girl and actually pulling her around. The girl came over to retrieve the other dog and apologize. My dog got uncomfortable with the dog's sniffing and jolted forward a bit to start walking away when the bigger dog attacked her, biting at her neck and face.

I was able to grab the bigger dog and pull it off of her. Surprisingly the dog was interested only in my dog and not me. I expected to be bitten in the process, but it was only interested in going forward and let me hold it back without much fight. At this point, my dog's leash was completely tangled between me, the attacking dog, and the little girl, but, fortuitously, the D-ring on the collar (more like body harness) had broken off in the attack, so my wife and dog were able to run off while being chased by the sniffing dog.

As I was untangling the leash, I twice asked the girl if she needed help getting her dogs home, to which she replied no. I ran to my wife and dog, and the only damage to my dog was a tear in her eyelid and a bloodshot eye. We took her to the animal emergency room, and she was given a cone and antibiotic eyedrops. The doctor said the eyelid will probably heal better than he could fix it, so he decided against surgery especially given her age (12-13). She is obviously not thrilled to have a cone, and her eye oozes puss and needs to be wiped every couple hours. One eyedrop is required three times per day, which is very hard to apply to a dog who doesn't want to look up or stay still. I'm hoping for no permanent damage. I'm not sure what the little girl was doing with those dogs; the only scenario I can imagine is they got out of the yard and she was retrieving them, but I don't know why she would be doing that alone.

tp4tissue:
@ Kavik,   Tp4 recommends a healthy dose of Indoors..

Minimizing outdoor activity is highly correlated with the reduction of dog v dog accidents.

_Ronery4ever
_OutsideBad

fohat.digs:
Dogs are natural predators. My cousin has a large and powerful dog that is barely under control, even on daily Prozac.

It has bitten her numerous times and she has scars to prove it. But she lives alone and dotes on it, treating it like an infant.

I loathe dogs.

noisyturtle:
My roommate was attacked by an unleashed dog a few years ago. The thing came out of no where when he was walking home from work and got him pretty good, had to get stitches and shots. He still has scars from it.
Not sure if the dog got put down, that always seemed like an extreme reaction to me. Every dog has a bad day, it shouldn't be 'One Strike Your Dead' type of deal.

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Wed, 17 November 2021, 14:04:25 ---I loathe dogs.

--- End quote ---

You and my dad would get along famously

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: noisyturtle on Wed, 17 November 2021, 14:38:50 ---
You and my dad would get along famously

--- End quote ---

Don't worry, I have gotten my comeuppance - my son is in veterinary school.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version