Author Topic: Old Age...  (Read 2879 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Old Age...
« on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 12:55:17 »
Mopped the basement yesterday,  today,  mah.. Back.... owowwowoah...

Y'all oldies @ gekha feeling it lately?

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: Old Age...
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 12:56:41 »
tp4 getting old?
tp4 will be immortal on geek hack

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 13:43:59 »

Show Image

Yes, my line of working is rapidly catching up to me the past few years. I've done manual labor since I was 16 & am 40 now so that's to be expected. Thinking it's time to start my own company & get a few crews trained in the way I do jobs so I can just sell the work. I really don't think my body got another 20 years of this type of work to give LOL!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 14:43:46 »
tp4 getting old?
tp4 will be immortal on geek hack

Yes, my line of working is rapidly catching up to me the past few years. I've done manual labor since I was 16 & am 40 now so that's to be expected. Thinking it's time to start my own company & get a few crews trained in the way I do jobs so I can just sell the work. I really don't think my body got another 20 years of this type of work to give LOL!

Optimism ++..   

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 16:24:58 »

today,  mah ... Back

Thoroughly cleaning large and seriously-soiled objects can be surprisingly difficult and/or stressful.
I have always assumed that it is a matter of straining muscles in directions and configurations that they are not accustomed to.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 16:42:27 »
Still sore from last week when I spent an hour raking and bagging leaves.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 17:48:47 »
One thing I am still coming to terms with is having pains that are constant and never go away. Right now it's just a pinched nerve and sciatica. When geriatric people say everything hurts all the time, I am starting to understand what they mean. One by one each of your parts gets worn and old and begins to cause pain, until eventually everything hurts. 
Something to look forward to.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 18:08:05 »

not using blower ?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 20:30:40 »

My grandfather's unvarying response to any question or comment about age or pain was "It's better than the alternative."
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 20:41:10 »
One thing I am still coming to terms with is having pains that are constant and never go away. Right now it's just a pinched nerve and sciatica. When geriatric people say everything hurts all the time, I am starting to understand what they mean. One by one each of your parts gets worn and old and begins to cause pain, until eventually everything hurts. 

Tell me about it.  Months of a chest muscle pain and then plantar fasciitis and now reflux.  I’m even pretty healthy.  Being old sucks. 

not using blower ?

Nope. Old fashioned rake. Thankfully it’s just a few maple trees.  I used to live under a giant oak tree.  No way I would try to rake those. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 18 November 2021, 21:10:55 »
Flip on some quak 3,  hands / neck all sweaty after 10 minutes on nightmare.

Offline bonzi

• "Trust me, I have an art degree. I'm smart."
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 27 November 2021, 02:00:18 »
I'm only like 22, but I get pain from playing Melee sometimes.
I think it's leftover carpal tunnel or something.
I'm already somewhat old in that department, yet I look like I'd get carded at a pg-13 rated movie.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 01:24:07 »
I'm not sure my issues are related to age. Something has always hurt since about age 21. I've had lower back pain, plantar fasciitis, knee pain, wrist pain, shoulder pain, hip pain, groin pulls, upper back pain, neck pain, jaw pain, finger joint pain, etc. Some issues resolve themselves after a year or two, some come back with certain activities, and others are truly chronic. I actually felt my better around 27-30 than 20-26. 31+ has been somewhere in-between.

One thing that has definitely changed with age is my heat tolerance. As soon as I hit 31, I could no longer do all day outdoor events. This became apparent when I was training for a century bike ride one summer, and I got so hot, I was feeling tingly and sick. A nurse friend had to pick me up, take me home, and give me an IV, and I wanted to barf for a few hours. And just this summer, I was at a paintball scenario game, and I was so hot that I could barely move; the heat sapped energy, and it didn't matter how much water or Gatorade I drank. When I went back on the field toward the end of the day, I barely had the energy to aim my gun once I hobbled into a position.

Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 04:18:25 »
I got reading-glasses about a month ago. I had noticed this summer that I couldn't focus on objects very near to my eyes. It felt as if that change had happened quickly.

I've not noticed any other age-related changes but there have been days when I definitely felt like an old person on death's door. I've had cancer but recovered. I've been plagued with reflux and stomach pains for years after having followed the doctor's orders to well and taken too many painkillers after surgery, and I've got gall-stones probably caused by the pills that I have since take for the stomach.

With my gene-mix, I expect that I could either grow old (my great aunts are 94, 97 and 100 y/o) or not very old at all (my dad retired at 52 and died at 60).

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 05:04:30 »
I did some raking of leaves on Saturday, last bag of those this season, all trees around are now naked.
Then yesterday I picked up some shelves cupboard from Ikea and built it for my daughter, did some drilling in walls for other bits and pieces.
By the end of yesterday I felt like my back is ready for replacement, hands hurt, neck hurts, eyes hurt...
Woke up this morning, barely moved my georgeously big body to bathroom, but all pains were still there.
Now in office, its even hurts when typing :)
So yes, after I passed like 35, it's been downhill pain wise :(
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 07:37:17 »
My next birthday will start with a "7"

Guys, take care of yourselves. Eat healthy and exercise - cliche but true.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 08:43:08 »

Guys, take care of yourselves. Eat WHOLE FOOD PLANT BASED and exercise - cliche but true.

FTFY

Offline Kavik

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 10:11:12 »

I read this as I was eating a Pop-Tart.

Eating well is hard to do long term. I can do it for a maybe a month if I'm dedicated, but eventually convenience always swoops back in and woos me (generally when I run out of groceries and don't feel like shopping). But seeing how my parents turned out, I definitely need to heed your advice and at least keep the weight off.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 10:54:05 »

Eating well is hard to do long term. I can do it for a maybe a month if I'm dedicated, but eventually convenience always swoops back in and woos me (generally when I run out of groceries and don't feel like shopping). But seeing how my parents turned out, I definitely need to heed your advice and at least keep the weight off.

It's not just the weight.  When you eat the standard western diet, it's 30-50% calories from fat.  This stuff gets into your arteries and tears up the endothelial lining < the lining which generates oxides to lubricate blood flow>   The lining then begins to scar, and that becomes your atherosclerosis.

The problem is people do not eat for energy these days, they eat for "fun."  This is a major psychological shift, such that modern humans are COMPELLED towards greasy hyperpalatables , and they consider that NORMAL.

Without a major operational change in mindset, a person making superficial day to day emotional offsets on consumption will inevitably acquire the SAME disease of affluence which leads to the #1 and #2 killers,  Cancer + Heart disease. 

Wholefoodplantbased solves the problem, the barrier is that it takes a tremendous amount of homework to actuate,   You add in the peer pressure and rationalized collective failures of common proximal hughhmahnns,   one really needs to be a recluse like Tp4 to stand a chance.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 17:56:25 »

Eating well is hard to do long term.

Don't get me wrong - I am no purist.

I have certainly had my share of beer, candy, ice cream, etc, and I enjoy cooking rich foods. But keep the extravagant splurges in perspective and balance them with fresh healthy nutritious items.

And do make sure that you are getting fiber, if not in your diet then get a jar of Metamucil (also available in capsules) for those all-pizza days.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 29 November 2021, 18:56:36 »
Once you have turned 50 or so, please do one thing for yourself every ten years or so: get a colonoscopy!
The worst part is the prep: fasting and cleansing the colon. The actual procedure is a breeze:  ​lay back and relax, and look at the screen and wonder at how you look on the inside .. or choose general anaesthetic during the procedure. It is not dangerous. It is not demeaning. It is generally not painful.

Colorectal cancer is one of the most common and most dangerous types of cancer: if left to grow, in time it often spreads to vital organs, showing no symptoms before it is too late.
Luckily, it normally takes a long time to develop from pre-stage to polyp to full-blown cancer — and during that time it can be nipped during a colonoscopy.

(I know, I have nagged about this in other threads already. But I've known people in my parents' generation who did not get it and died from child tumours in the liver, or got it too late and was lucky to only have radiation therapy and surgery that sew their anus shut and wear a poo-bag the rest of their life — and that is just so ridiculously unnecessary!
Myself, because of my aforementioned abnormally bad genetic mix, I have to get a colonoscopy every year. That is why I can recommend it.)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 09:31:49 »

It's not just the weight.  When you eat the standard western diet, it's 30-50% calories from fat.  This stuff gets into your arteries and tears up the endothelial lining < the lining which generates oxides to lubricate blood flow>   The lining then begins to scar, and that becomes your atherosclerosis.

The problem is people do not eat for energy these days, they eat for "fun."  This is a major psychological shift, such that modern humans are COMPELLED towards greasy hyperpalatables , and they consider that NORMAL.

Without a major operational change in mindset, a person making superficial day to day emotional offsets on consumption will inevitably acquire the SAME disease of affluence which leads to the #1 and #2 killers,  Cancer + Heart disease. 

Wholefoodplantbased solves the problem, the barrier is that it takes a tremendous amount of homework to actuate,   You add in the peer pressure and rationalized collective failures of common proximal hughhmahnns,   one really needs to be a recluse like Tp4 to stand a chance.

I'd say the real barrier is that it's ****ing disgusting :p .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 12:21:12 »

Show Image

No im still in my prime