Author Topic: Cherry profile caps but with softer edges?  (Read 3662 times)

Offline spronkey

Cherry profile caps but with softer edges?
« on: Fri, 10 December 2021, 23:33:45 »
Once upon a time I used to use an old membrane keyboard with what I think were approximately Cherry profile keys, however unlike most Cherry keycaps I have seen, these had really soft rounded edges - no sharp transition.

Does anyone make a set of keycaps like this? Essentially Cherry but with a bigger radius on the edge - almost like someone has taken to it with a roundover bit or sandpaper.

Offline QWER|key

Re: Cherry profile caps but with softer edges?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 10:17:06 »
Once upon a time I used to use an old membrane keyboard with what I think were approximately Cherry profile keys, however unlike most Cherry keycaps I have seen, these had really soft rounded edges - no sharp transition.

Does anyone make a set of keycaps like this? Essentially Cherry but with a bigger radius on the edge - almost like someone has taken to it with a roundover bit or sandpaper.
There's an active thread right now about the new Melgeek profile, which is essentially a Cherry Profile, with a rounded key.

Offline hussar_name

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 10:18:55 »

OEM keycaps are taller and wider, and usually much more rounded.

Offline Mikhail-222

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 07:01:20 »

Judt guessing, maybe that was some late 90's early 00's Chicony keyboard. Look e.g. for Chicony 0503 models. It has sort of low profile OEM keycaps, and has quite smooth edges due to gentle wall slopes. And they are good by the way.

But anyways, I highly doubt there are MX caps like that, I haven't seen any and I was searching for similar caps.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 09:01:36 »
I still have a set of heavily yellowed and worn keycaps like that. They are from a DytCom (Dah Yang) keyboard in Swedish ISO layout with Cherry MX Black switches. The keycaps were pad-printed ABS.

BTW. Have you tried DCS? It is somewhat similar to Cherry profile, except for rounded corners, more slanted bottom row(s) and a coarser texture on top.
The keycaps on the BTC 15xx series rubber-dome (conductive dome, not membrane) keyboards have the same profile as DCS. The BTC were OEM:ed to lots of brands and very common so I think it is likely that the keyboard you remember was one of those.
The non-stabilised keys on the BTC are Cherry MX-compatible.

BTW. Welcome back after not posting for over ten years! ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 December 2021, 09:15:14 by Findecanor »

Offline Handke

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 03:17:17 »
Perhaps you just need to be a better typist? I had the same problem when I started typing, but now I'm much better and I don't feel the edges anymore.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 January 2022, 14:02:09 »
I am typing on DCS profile right now, and it seems to me to be a rounded Cherry-profile. It was indeed a semi-common profile at one time.

The keycap surfaces 'hug' you more than Cherry, it feels less squarish and angular. You could also maybe look at MT3 for a giant, hi-profile version of this.

Offline Handke

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 02:50:35 »
I am typing on DCS profile right now, and it seems to me to be a rounded Cherry-profile. It was indeed a semi-common profile at one time.

The keycap surfaces 'hug' you more than Cherry, it feels less squarish and angular. You could also maybe look at MT3 for a giant, hi-profile version of this.

quite thin???

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 03:59:28 »
Some of the PBT sets have a slightly rounder edge around the top, but I don't think its noticeable while you use it.

But Leopold/Varmilo PBT sets (Step Sculpture 2) are even sharper than GMK.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 11:14:16 »

quite thin???

Show Image

Yes, modern DCS profile is very thin. For some, this makes it good for light tactiles and maybe light linears: switches where you don't want to dampen the tactility or feel.

If you prefer a thicker version, the old fashioned DCS such as Wyse could indeed be very thick, but it is hard to find now.