geekhack Community > Keyboards

Giving the SMK88 another try

<< < (2/2)

Bluemercury:

--- Quote from: xsphat;2198 ---If I want to try out the blues, I am stuck with either the M10 or Das II,or I could order that one from DataCal and hope Justin was right ....
--- End quote ---

Das II is a fine keyboard, but not a small one....

xsphat:
I might consider picking up a DAS II, but I'm not sure on that one.

xsphat:
I don’t know about these Cherry linear switches. The keys are too heavy and don’t give the authoritative crack when I type each letter, and that is something I surely would miss. Even the Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 gives me some satisfaction while being by far the quietest mechanical keyboard I own. So in the end, I still don’t like this key switch,
   But, the SMK 88 is a nice keyboard. The quality of mine is good, I like the button layout a lot, but I don’t like the Cherry linear switch, and that kills it for me.

The SMK85 is still my favorite keyboard for writing. I stow it when I’m not doing anything serious and bust it out when the mood hits. The thing is it feels heavy and well-made. The sound of the clicks and the springs is unmatched even by the Model M, it takes less than half the pressure of the Cherrys to bottom out and it just feels like this is the way I’m supposed to write. This is just a really nice ‘board coupled with a great key switch.
   And the wobble in Alps switches you guys are talking about, I have a feeling that’s built into the switch intentionally. I have 3 Alps boards and all of them have it. I actually like it, but I’ve had Alps ‘boards from the start of this little keyboard adventure. I didn’t even notice it when you guys were talking about it at first because I’m so accustomed to it, but after my short stint on the Cherry blacks, I understand your point of view. The Cherry switches are even tighter than the HHKB’s.
   The only switch I even want to try right now is the clicky Cherry. I think I’ll like it.

Can you hear the springs on the Cherry blues? I really like hearing them when I type.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version